Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

sata5 crypt

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
AvidHiker

sata5 crypt

#1 Post by AvidHiker »

I'm trying to install Debian 12 onto an "old" Dell server that has an old version of Debian on it. In every attempt to do so the boot sequence in the BIOS is ignored and the server boots to the old Debian system and stops at the password request for sata5 crypt, which I do not have. I have attempted to boot from a built in optical disc drive (CD, DVD) and a USB port using a bootable ventoy flash stick with multiple version of Debian to boot from. What am I missing?

yesh

Re: sata5 crypt

#2 Post by yesh »

Firstly, check the BIOS settings thoroughly to make sure all are ok.

Next, do you know for sure that the CD/DVD/USB are truly bootable? Test on another machine and see if they work to successfully boot.

If the install disks are good, use them to boot the Dell server, after first disconnecting the hard drive with Debian/crypt on it.

Report here how you go.
Image Stable Xfce / HP Notebook 15 BS143TU / Intel® Core™ i5-8250U / 8GB DDR4 2400Mhz / 1 TB SATA / Intel® UHD Graphics 620 (1366x768 15.6")

AvidHiker

#3 Post by AvidHiker »

I have been pouring through the BIOS setting pulling out what is left of my hair. If there is an error I don't see it.

I tested the CD on another machine and it is bootable. I am using the USB stick on another machine to make this post .... it is bootable.

Excellent Idea! I unplugged the HD and tried booting from the CD. "Drive 0 not Found".

After I post this I'll take this USB stick and try the same thing and get back with you. I suspect I'll get the same result, but we will find out. Thank you.

yesh

#4 Post by yesh »

Ok, that is what I suspected. Try the USB, then, the next step will be to get into BIOS to try a couple of things.

Bring up your BIOS settings and make note of all the settings - so you can revert settings if things get worse.

Browse the BIOS settings and look for an entry:

Fast Boot - Enabled
change to
Fast Boot - Disabled

Try to boot using the install disk USB/CD again. If no joy, try this...

Browse the BIOS settings and look for an entry like this:

Restore Settings to Default

Select it, hit YES and reboot.

Try again to use the install disk/s.
Image Stable Xfce / HP Notebook 15 BS143TU / Intel® Core™ i5-8250U / 8GB DDR4 2400Mhz / 1 TB SATA / Intel® UHD Graphics 620 (1366x768 15.6")

AvidHiker

#5 Post by AvidHiker »

"Drive 0 not found" Booting from the stick did not work.

Digging through the BIOS I found a setting that disabled boot for the "Front USB" ports. I changed that and can now boot off the stick :D

I have not yet found one that can disable boot from the optical drive, but I bet it's in here somewhere.

In any case I am up and running now ... Thank you Thank You Thank you

yesh

#6 Post by yesh »

Great to hear! :D

You can thank me by clicking the 'thumbs up' on my post.

Then, mark your first post as solved - edit first post and put '[Solved]' in title.