Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

ISC DHCP and BIND9 DDNS with subdomains

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
gmjs

ISC DHCP and BIND9 DDNS with subdomains

#1 Post by gmjs »

Hello,

I've been trying to set up a dynamic DNS zone that will accept subdomain clients using Debian 12.

I currently have an ISC DHCP server and BIND9 DNS server with a single zone that updates automatically (let's call it example.com).
The DHCP server hands out addresses, and an A record is added to the DNS zone file.

However, I'd like clients to be able to specify their own subdomain of example.com (for example client1.example.com) and have their hsotname entries added dynamically too (e.g. add an A record for "www.client1" to the zone file for example.com).

I haven't been able to find a way to alter the hostname in dhcpd.conf to force this (it seems my changes to ddns-hostname are ignored). I also can't find a way to do this by creating separate zone files for the subdomains, as the dhcpd.conf file seems to have to specify a domainname, and I'd like many subdomains to be created in the same DHCP range.

Is there anything I can do without reverting to manually updating the zone files, or defining separate DHCP ranges for each subdomain?

Many thanks for any help.