Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Software] Trouble finding folder for custom colour-schemes in "gedit"

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
_galen

[Software] Trouble finding folder for custom colour-schemes in "gedit"

#1 Post by _galen »

I want to make custom colour-themes for the "gedit" text-editing app.

Both this page and this page seem to be telling me that the colour-schemes are stored in a folder home/.local/share/gtksourceview-2.0/styles/, and that custom colour-schemes in an XML file, made using this online theme-generator, could be simply placed in that folder and then be available to be chosen with "gedit". However, I have no such ~gtksourceview-2.0/ folder in my "files" app.

fabien
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

Re: [Software] Trouble finding folder for custom colour-schemes in "gedit"

#2 Post by fabien »

Hello, welcome to the forums!
_galen wrote: 2024-03-30 12:02 the colour-schemes are stored in a folder home/.local/share/gtksourceview-2.0/styles/ [...] However, I have no such ~gtksourceview-2.0/ folder in my "files" app.
Just create the directory if it doesn't exist, e.g.

Code: Select all

$> mkdir -p ~/.local/share/gtksourceview-2.0/styles/
man 1 mkdir wrote: NAME
mkdir - make directories
[...]
-p, --parents
no error if existing, make parent directories as needed
I see that gedit depends on libgtksourceview-4-0, so there is a good chance that the correct directory is

Code: Select all

$> mkdir -p ~/.local/share/gtksourceview-4.0/styles/
Also, maybe the colour-schemes you found are outdated, but trying them is probably harmless.
ImageShare your Debian SCRIPTS
There will be neither barrier nor walls, neither official nor guard, there will be no more desert and the entire world will become a garden. — Anacharsis Cloots