Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can't move or resize VLC window

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
dbbolton

Can't move or resize VLC window

#1 Post by dbbolton »

I can't move/resize/decorate/restore the vlc window. It takes up the entire screen (even though it is not in full screen mode) on one of my monitors. I'm using Openbox. This doesn't happen with any other type of window.

http://i.imgur.com/H2BbT.jpg
GitHub | zsh docs in Letter PDF
Telemachus wrote:Put down the CGI.

mharrison

Re: Can't move or resize VLC window

#2 Post by mharrison »

In VLC click on Tools -> Preferences->Video and make sure full screen isn't checked. If it isn't, with VLC open, try hitting the F key to see if you can take it out of Full Screen Mode.

dbbolton

#3 Post by dbbolton »

mharrison wrote:In VLC click on Tools -> Preferences->Video and make sure full screen isn't checked. If it isn't, with VLC open, try hitting the F key to see if you can take it out of Full Screen Mode.
It's not. I can enable full screen mode and the menubar disappears.

I've noticed that if I iconify/minimize vlc, then click on its tray icon, it reappears in a normal windowed mode.

mharrison

#4 Post by mharrison »

How are you launching it? Through the menu, custom shortcut, via a run command from a gmrun type program?

dbbolton

#5 Post by dbbolton »

I either run vlc from a terminal or select 'Open with vlc' from Thunar. Both have the same behavior. The console output isn't particularly useful either

Code: Select all

vlc
VLC media player 1.1.9 The Luggage (revision exported)
Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_ADDRESS")
Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_BUS_TYPE")
[0x1686120] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
Blocked: call to setlocale(6, "")

advocate512

#6 Post by advocate512 »

I don't know if you figured this out, but I just had the same problem. It is the difference between playing back the video checked "Fullscreen," which is found in the Video dropdown menu, versus your (and my) problem: the player is checked "Fullscreen Interface," which evidently is found in the View dropdown menu instead.

Enjoy!

nazgul17

#7 Post by nazgul17 »

Man, you saved me! Thanks a lot!

Arkz

#8 Post by Arkz »

advocate512 wrote: 2013-05-11 16:32 I don't know if you figured this out, but I just had the same problem. It is the difference between playing back the video checked "Fullscreen," which is found in the Video dropdown menu, versus your (and my) problem: the player is checked "Fullscreen Interface," which evidently is found in the View dropdown menu instead.

Enjoy!
Thanks! This just helped me in 2024 :lol: