Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Software] Nvidia Driver Issue on Bookworm 12.5

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
TaylorProduct

[Software] Nvidia Driver Issue on Bookworm 12.5

#1 Post by TaylorProduct »

Hi all,

I recently have been doing a fresh install of Debian 12.5. I have used Linux for a couple years in the past but I have never installed it myself, so my experience with setup is limited. Since I have an Nvidia 970 in my desktop I attempted to download Nvidia drivers following the official Debian page (https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers). However, after doing so I received this message at the end of the installation:

Code: Select all

Building initial module for 6.1.0-18-amd64
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 6.1.0-18-amd64 (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/nvidia-current/525.147.05/build/make.log for more information.
dpkg: error processing package nvidia-kernel-dkms (--configure):
 installed nvidia-kernel-dkms package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 10
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of nvidia-driver:
 nvidia-driver depends on nvidia-kernel-dkms (= 525.147.05-4~deb12u1) | nvidia-kernel-525.147.05 | nvidia-open-kernel-525.147.05 | nvidia-open-kernel-525.147.05; however:
  Package nvidia-kernel-dkms is not configured yet.
  Package nvidia-kernel-525.147.05 is not installed.
  Package nvidia-kernel-dkms which provides nvidia-kernel-525.147.05 is not configured yet.
  Package nvidia-open-kernel-525.147.05 is not installed.
  Package nvidia-open-kernel-525.147.05 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package nvidia-driver (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.36-9+deb12u4) ...
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.142) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-6.1.0-18-amd64
Processing triggers for update-glx (1.2.2) ...
Processing triggers for glx-alternative-nvidia (1.2.2) ...
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/nvidia to provide /usr/lib/glx (glx) in auto mode
Processing triggers for glx-alternative-mesa (1.2.2) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.36-9+deb12u4) ...
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.142) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-6.1.0-18-amd64
Errors were encountered while processing:
 nvidia-kernel-dkms
 nvidia-driver
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
W: Operation was interrupted before it could finish
A version of this appears now after every installation I try to make, almost as if either the shell or the kernel cannot communicate properly with the hardware now. After looking into this, I have seen some community posts in the last months concerning this issue (viewtopic.php?t=158293 and viewtopic.php?t=158264). Their suggestions are to revert to a previous kernel where this bug does not exist and wait for the current kernel to be updated. I'm wondering if this is still the consensus and what I can do now to remediate this problem. I have tried to remove the Nvidia drivers that were installed using the following:

sudo apt remove --purge nvidia-driver firmware-misc-nonfree
but I still am confronted with the following errors:

Building initial module for 6.1.0-18-amd64
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 6.1.0-18-amd64 (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/nvidia-current/525.147.05/build/make.log for more information.
dpkg: error processing package nvidia-kernel-dkms (--configure):
 installed nvidia-kernel-dkms package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 10
Errors were encountered while processing:
 nvidia-kernel-dkms
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
So it seems as though I now cannot remove the drivers that are causing the problem. Any help with elucidating what is going on and how I can fix it would be great.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [Software] Nvidia Driver Issue on Bookworm 12.5

#2 Post by sunrat »

You need to add bookworm-updates to your sources and install the nvidia-driver from there, currently v.525.147.05-7~deb12u1

deb https://deb.debian.org/debian/ bookworm-updates main contrib non-free non-free-firmware
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!