Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Discussion] rebooted hardinfo as community edition hardinfo2 - System information & Benchmarking

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
hwspeedy

[Discussion] rebooted hardinfo as community edition hardinfo2 - System information & Benchmarking

#1 Post by hwspeedy »

We have rebooted hardinfo, that has not been released for >10 years as community edition hardinfo2.

There is no other program like hardinfo2, please give the project some love.

News:
• GTK3 and Online Benchmarking
• 10 years of small nice changes
• Refreshed

Please check the project web page for github readme.md for build instructions or use the prebuild for most used distros.

https://hardinfo2.org

https://github.com/hardinfo2/hardinfo2

Interested in foss, please join the project, thanx.

/hwspeedy

/usr/

Re: [Discussion] rebooted hardinfo as community edition hardinfo2 - System information & Benchmarking

#2 Post by /usr/ »

Do you plan to package a .deb for the upcoming Trixie?

hwspeedy

Re: [Discussion] rebooted hardinfo as community edition hardinfo2 - System information & Benchmarking

#3 Post by hwspeedy »

Hi /usr/

We are working on getting the hardinfo2 package into all debian official repositories. Still have no contact to the original hardinfo package maintainer. Another debian package maintainer has said he would help and has gotten a reply from the original package maintainer that it should happen within 14 days now...
The old package will be removed 2024-04-11. So I hope everything is on track and the hardinfo2 package will soon be in all debian official repositories - including trixie. There is no other program like hardinfo2 and it has a history and deserves to be in all distros again.

Let me know if anyone can help with debian packaging, thanx. - https://github.com/hardinfo2/hardinfo2 please check debian package discussion https://github.com/hardinfo2/hardinfo2/discussions/16

/hwspeedy

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by CwF »

This could be good!
I'm one of those users that upgrades and have had hardinfo installed since stretch and it's still present. I've run it every so often to see if it has filled in any. Even though it has gone stale, I'll still look at it for ideas to incorporate functionality in my own tk program. From that, I wonder if hardinfo2 should/could/should adopt some extra functions.

First - will hardinfo have a proper transitional package to pull or orphan hardinfo and upgrade to hardinfo2?
I also think using 'hardinfo' for continuity should be fine, in second place would prefer hardinfo-ng to hardinfo2.

glancing at the git, why hddtemp? I thought smartctl could do this for us and is maybe a more commonly intalled.

Extras - while benchmarking is neat, I pay little attention. The premise in hardinfo is to show resulting configuration, what about showing how we get there. So in the top info sections have you thought of incorporating educational help like function that reveal actual config file location and content, and take an extra step to step through cli available functions?
example - "Network"
in this section have a hover popup on the left pane categories showing an equivalent cli command.
On the left in subcategories list local files concerned, on the right show a cat of said file.
Add a udevadm sub-category with selectable tagets for 'test-builtin net_setup_link'
Have a vnstat sub-category...

Those are quick examples that have application in most of the categories. In addition to udev probing, things like journalctl reporting and relevant man pages can be integrated per subject. Those two maybe deserve their own categories. Things like smartctl, mentioned, could spawn reports also.

I do realize the fork nature of linux means there are 42 different ways to do anything so competing methods will always be an issue. For my herder.tk I simply chose my preferred and ignore the rest - maybe not polite for a public consumption any distro release. I have not looked deep enough to know but perhaps hardinfo2 has a plugin structure able to make these choices with add on packages?
hardinfo2-systemd-network-plugin vs hardinfo2-networkmanager-plugin ?

Just a few of my thoughts, maybe out of scope, maybe implausible, but the hardinfo format could lend itself to exposing how we get to answers as much as what those answers are.

hwspeedy

#5 Post by hwspeedy »

Hi CwF,

hardinfo2 is a system information and benchmarking program - presenting nicely hardware and some software information - the info is also needed for the benchmarks - what is actually being benchmarked - the online database should allow for some fun for the Linux community. But it is not a Linux settings learning program nor an intro to Linux program. But join the project and you will learn how & why the code is written as it is. There is a lot of fun for developers.

Please keep discussion about development on the github page.

/hwspeedy