Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Software] grub-install which drive with encrypted ssd

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
d04c9fa32

[Software] grub-install which drive with encrypted ssd

#1 Post by d04c9fa32 »

recently performed a full-upgrade on a debian 12 based os and grub-install dialog popped up. i have one ssd only and that ssd is encrypted. below is general outpput from lsblk.

Code: Select all

sda
 |_sda1
       |_luks-(...uuid...)
             |_/home
                /swap
                /
what i've read from other posts, generally, is the correct install destination would be "sda" in this one drive config situation. the encrypted disk is my hesitation so i don't install to incorrect destination and hose my system. would appreciate some verification on this pls. tia.

lindi
Debian Developer
Debian Developer

Re: [Software] grub-install which drive with encrypted ssd

#2 Post by lindi »

Can you paste full output if lsblk? Also is this BIOS mode and not UEFI?

pbear

#3 Post by pbear »

How Grub is handled depends on which Debian derivative you have installed and which method of system encryption it uses. Indeed, it's likely this isn't a Debian question.

d04c9fa32

#4 Post by d04c9fa32 »

lindi wrote: 2024-04-04 17:19 Can you paste full output if lsblk? Also is this BIOS mode and not UEFI?

yes, BIOS & not UEFI

d04c9fa32

#5 Post by d04c9fa32 »

this is an image of the text in the box [grub-pc package being updated] when i did the "apt full-upgrade". i terminated the upgrade process as i wasn't sure which item to tick since the disk is encrypted. may be this image might help someone to help me out. tia

d04c9fa32

#6 Post by d04c9fa32 »

pbear wrote: 2024-04-05 01:16 How Grub is handled depends on which Debian derivative you have installed and which method of system encryption it uses. Indeed, it's likely this isn't a Debian question.
appreciate your reply. i posted twice on parrot's website regarding this prior to here, and as of yet, haven't had a reply so figured i would try here. these modules are loaded in grub.cfg for the encryption system:

cryptodisk - This module is needed to mount a crypto disk.
luks - Linux Unified Key Setup (LUKS) is a special disk-encryption format used by Linux systems. With this driver, GRUB can access LUKS partitions with this module.
part_msdos - This module provides support for MS-DOS (MBR) partitions and partitioning tables.
gcry_rijndael - This module provides support for the Rijndael encryption algorithm cryptography tool (which is similar to DES).
gcry_sha256 - This module provides support for the SHA256 checksum utility.
btrfs - This module provides support for the B-tree Filesystem.

pbear

#7 Post by pbear »

Frankly, I don't use system encryption, and generally recommend against it, for this reason. Encrypting data is one thing (although overdone, imho; not everything on your computer is sensitive). Almost no one (except spies and people of interest to spies) has a reason to encrypt the system. And, let's bear in mind, encryption only protects things when the computer is shut down.

Anyhoo, based on the information provided, I would expect you were supposed to check the first box (installing Grub to the MBR). What's on dm-0 are the boot files, not the boot loader. That's just an informed hunch, though, as I have only one test box with /boot encrypted (Debian 12 installed from the live ISO) and it hasn't yet received a Grub update (as far as I recall).

[edited because, on reflection, changed my mind about where Grub update probably should be installed]
Last edited by pbear on 2024-04-08 15:56, edited 1 time in total.

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by wizard10000 »

Moved to Off-Topic.
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin

d04c9fa32

#9 Post by d04c9fa32 »

pbear wrote: 2024-04-08 15:15 Frankly, I don't use system encryption, and generally recommend against it, for this reason. Encrypting data is one thing (although overdone, imho; not everything on your computer is sensitive). Almost no one (except spies and people of interest to spies) has a reason to encrypt the system. And, let's bear in mind, encryption only protects things when the computer is shut down.

Anyhoo, based on the information provided, I would expect you were supposed to check the first box (installing Grub to the MBR). What's on dm-0 are the boot files, not the boot loader. That's just an informed hunch, though, as I have only one test box with /boot encrypted (Debian 12 installed from the live ISO) and it hasn't yet received a Grub update (as far as I recall).

[edited because, on reflection, changed my mind about where Grub update probably should be installed]
appreciate your insights & informed hunch. it actually helps.