Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Installer halts at Select and Install Software [[Lenovo Laptop Ideapad Gaming 3]]

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
cellSeven

[Solved] Installer halts at Select and Install Software [[Lenovo Laptop Ideapad Gaming 3]]

#1 Post by cellSeven »

Hello,

I'm not entirely new to Linux, though certainly not a seasoned user.
I have recently tried to install Debian 12 on my Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3 laptop, but the installation continuously halted at the "Select and Install Software" phase, right after the packages/files finished downloading. Though a neophyte, I luckily managed to resolve this issue and wanted to share my findings on this forum, as I could not find a topic that deals with this issue or provided an answer that worked in my specific use case [this one comes close]. I hope this might benefit others with a Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3 laptop.

STEPS TO SOLUTION:

1. The installer allows you to skip the phase of "Select and Install Software", do so and continue with the installation;
2. Finish installing Debian OS;
3. You will load Debian in a command-line environment;
4. Login as root;
5. Run command: tasksel; this opens the Select and Install Software installation instance you previously skipped in the initial installation process;
6. Choose your desired packages; but the crucial step here (apparently) is that you also select the "laptop" option at the very bottom. Forgive me if my eyes have repeatedly deceived me, but the initial, ordinary installation does not show the "laptop" option and might be something for the developers to look into;
7; Reboot; you should now be greeted with a graphical login screen and your desktop environment of choice.

ADDITIONAL INFO:

Some additional information that might be helpful or otherwise relevant:

1. Though it is said Debian is not affected by Secure Boot being either enabled or disabled in the BIOS/UEFI, I turned it off just to be sure;
2. I used the net-installer iso so that the installer needs to download Debian's files during the installation; as the error occurred in the Select and Install Software phase where packages are being downloaded, an alternative solution might have been using the complete installation image instead, that will already contain the needed software packages;
3. It might be noteworthy that my desktop environment of choice was Cinnamon; I also chose to install the basic system utilities; these were the only two options I had initially enabled in the original installation procedure (the laptop option was not available until I would run tasksel in the command-line environment post initial installation).

I hope nobody has the same issue as I, but if you do I hope this post will be of assistance.
Sincerely,

cellSeven
Attachments
debianFailedInstall_smallScale.png