Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Recommended USB drive format

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Heeter

Recommended USB drive format

#1 Post by Heeter »

Hi all,

I finally bunch a handful of these 2TB USB HDs with a "USB3.0" cord

I am on Debian12 defualt out of the box with all the regular updates on a laptop that has USB3 ports

What formatting should I use on the USB drives to get the fastest transfer rates successfully?

I am moving around 400Gig folders with lots of big and tiny files.

Currently tested with moving 100Gigs of files and folders in FAT32 format, and getting 24MB/sec. Thinking that it should be able to do better, don't know.

Will not be using these drives on any Windows/MAC machines at any point, just on my main Debian12 laptop

Regards

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Recommended USB drive format

#2 Post by sunrat »

The speed of the drive itself is more important than USB speed. Using a SATA3 HD should be able to transfer at well over 100MB/s. Lots of small files will be slower than a few large files.
I have several SATA3 drives in USB3 enclosures formatted with ext4 which get up to 130MB/s.
FAT32 or NTFS will be slower, so use ext4 if you don't need Windows compatibility.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Heeter

#3 Post by Heeter »

Ok Thank you

Will reformat to ext4

Regards

friendlysalmon88

#4 Post by friendlysalmon88 »

If you want maximum interoperability between Ms,OS X and Linux it is recommended that you use exfat as i not only can handle bigger storage volumes but is also the most interoperable between modern day operating systems.