Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Software] device names and raid1

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
rac8006

[Software] device names and raid1

#1 Post by rac8006 »

I understand the reason not to use /dev/sda por /dev/sdb device names. They say that you should use UUID. I've been using UUID for several years. My / partition has always been on /dev/sda1. My /dev/md0 was always /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdc1. I also had another raid /dev/sdd1 and /dev/sde1.
But I don't know how may years. All of a sudden the / partition starts moving on each reboot. In the process my raid1 arrays had there primary superblock corrupted on one array and the array was renamed from md2 to md127. Then the other array was renamed md1 to md126. Raid1 named /dev/md0 started showing that it consisted of sda1 and sdb1 instead of sdb1 and sdc1. I'm not sure how to get the md0 and md1 back. I also don't know how to do the different things that I need to do to the disk partitions using UUID. Even if I do get the raid1 names back to md0 and md1. What is going to stop them from reverting again after a reboot. I had to reboot several time to get the names of the disk partitions to what they usually are named.

PS I don't really have a great knowledge of raid disks. I just followed the directions from google. But after fighting with these problems. I noticed that there may be more statements to run after creating the raid arrays than I did during the creation of the array. I didn't do the mdadm -Es > /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf and update-initramfs -u. neither of these commands were shown in the commands I originally used to create the raid arrays.

Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by rac8006 on 2024-04-13 14:36, edited 1 time in total.

pbear

Re: [Software] device names

#2 Post by pbear »

Why are you using RAID? The best answer might be to solve that problem some other way. For example, RAID redundancy is actually less reliable than regular backup.

Also, I suggest you edit the thread title to mention RAID. You're more likely to get the attention of folks with relevant experience.