Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Moving install to new drive

- - ALL UNSTABLE / TESTING THREADS SHOULD BE POSTED HERE - -
This sub-forum is the dedicated area for the ongoing Unstable/Testing releases of Debian. Advanced, or Experienced User support only. Use the software, give, and take advice with caution.
ex-Gooserider

Moving install to new drive

#1 Post by ex-Gooserider »

My machine is currently using a SATA SSD, but I have just added a new NVMe SSD which should be slightly faster (I hope) I'd like to move my Debian install from the SSD to the new drive. If it matters, the machine is an early generation I-7 desktop.

I am currently running on Trixie with a lot of added software installed, including some compiled from source with a lot of dependencies. Because of this, I'd MUCH rather move everything over instead of just installing from scratch. Searching has found a few suggestions to use Clonezilla, but if I understand the docs on it correctly, the target drive must be the same size or bigger than the destination. Both drives are nominally 1TB, but the KDE partition manager says the SSD is bigger by a few GiB. The SSD is 953.86 GiB, and the NVMe drive is 921.51 GiB, is this enough of a difference to keep Clonezilla from working? (The SSD is not terribly full, probably on the order of 60-70%) I also have the SSD split up into multiple separate partitions, so I don't think the other solution I've seen of using rsync would work easily...

What is the best way to make this move happen? Pointers to other references are welcome, I don't mind reading the manual...

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Moving install to new drive

#2 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

Welcome to the forum!

I have deleted a topic which appears to be an exact duplicate of this one. Please note that posts from new members require approval before they appear to prevent spam, and allow some time for this to happen with your first few posts. Thanks.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by Aki »

Hello,
I would suggest to take a look at (see answers about clonezilla, too): Hope this helps.

---
note: moved to "General Questions" sub-forum.
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by wizard10000 »

Moved to Testing and Unstable.
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#5 Post by oswaldkelso »

I just cloned my 80GB drive to a 160GB drive then resized in to the extra space with gparted. I then swapped the drives keep the 80GB as backup. Then I found a 500GB drive in a dodgy external usb hub and cloned that and resized it as well.

Code: Select all

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb status=progress 
Where sda is the existing drive and sdb is the new one be sure you get the naming right or you will loose your data!
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

ex-Gooserider

#6 Post by ex-Gooserider »

Thank you AKI, I missed that option in the docs... However I found it doesn't totally make it easy, as it failed initially, because I had the source drive fully partitioned, so it failed on writing the last partition to the new (smaller) drive... I solved this by rebooting w/ System Rescue CD, and shrinking the /home partition w/ gparted, so that the total space of all the partitions was less than the new drive's size. Clonezilla then worked when I set the -icds flag, and copied the drive.

However I found that when I pulled the SSD source drive and rebooted, that my system is not able to boot off the NVMe drive. I shouldn't have been surprised by this considering that NVMe didn't exist when my machine was made....

Presumably the best solution for this is to leave the SSD as the boot drive, and point all the other directories at the NVMe drive, I just have to figure out how to do this...

ex-Gooserider

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by Aki »

Hello,
ex-Gooserider wrote: 2024-04-10 03:09 [..]
when I pulled the SSD source drive and rebooted, that my system is not able to boot off the NVMe drive. I shouldn't have been surprised by this considering that NVMe didn't exist when my machine was made....
[..]
This is a boot loader problem caused by UEFI booting, isn't it? If this is confirmed, you can follow the instructions here:
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

pbear

#8 Post by pbear »

Be aware the OP has opened a separate thread about the boot topic. In fairness, it really is a different question from the one asked in this thread.

ex-Gooserider

#9 Post by ex-Gooserider »

Aki wrote: 2024-04-11 06:27 Hello,
ex-Gooserider wrote: 2024-04-10 03:09 [..]
when I pulled the SSD source drive and rebooted, that my system is not able to boot off the NVMe drive. I shouldn't have been surprised by this considering that NVMe didn't exist when my machine was made....
[..]
This is a boot loader problem caused by UEFI booting, isn't it? If this is confirmed, you can follow the instructions here:
As Pbear has mentioned, I have started a separate thread about the boot question, as it seemed like a different issue... In that thread, he says it looks like I'm using GPT w old style BIOS, so not a UEFI problem, maybe... It seems to be an open question, as I have just looked in the BIOS settings, and it says to attempt to do a UEFI boot, and switch to Legacy BIOS boot if that fails... When I boot off a Bookworm install DVD, it usually comes up with the BIOS install menu, but has come up with the UEFI menu at least once... :? Since my understanding is that UEFI is really only needed / helpful for disks over 2TB, and I don't have any of those, seems like it might be better to change the boot setting to just use legacy bios?

ex-Gooserider