Expanding root partition, editing partitions will change UUID?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
kegon

Expanding root partition, editing partitions will change UUID?

#1 Post by kegon »

Hi,

I installed Bookworm on a SATA SSD with the following partitions:
  • (EFI system)
  • /
  • /home
  • /data
I made the root partition 32GB thinking it would be enough as I have a separate home partition. This machine is used as a desktop and occasional server.

Root is now 95% full, I don't know where the space has all gone but /usr is 16GB. I'm assuming I could probably trim some log and cache files but I will probably hit this problem again sooner or later. As there is lots of space on /data I want to non-destructively resize the root partition.

My plan is to boot to another install on another drive then use fdisk to delete all partitions, resize root to be larger, create new /home and /data partitions, run resize2fs on root. Assuming this works I can restore home and data.

My question is how to get home mounted in a way that allows me to boot into the newly resized root and login?

If before I boot the new system I format the new home and data, restore home, edit /etc/fstab to modify the entry for home; but where can I get the new UUID from or will it not change?

Thanks in advance

ruwolf

Re: Expanding root partition, editing partitions will change UUID?

#2 Post by ruwolf »

You can shrink (and move) /home and|or /data, you need not delete and recreate them.

pbear

#3 Post by pbear »

Let's start with the easy question. A good way to get UUIDs is lsblk -f (there are others, including sudo blkid).
Second, if you're going to do radical surgery on the partition table, I strongly recommend GParted over fdisk. Available in repo.
Third, you would be better served figuring out what's blowing up the system partition. What say sudo du -xhd1 / | sort -hr and sudo du -xhd1 /usr | sort -hr?
Fourth, if you can't figure out what's blowing up the system partition, I recommend you reinstall.

kegon

#4 Post by kegon »

Thanks for the help. It turns out the culprits were: various libs, CUDA & CUDA SDK, NVidia nsight, cache and fonts.
I'm going to use gparted in a live distro to shrink and move.