Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Software] BTRFS and Snapper or Not!

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
limotux

[Software] BTRFS and Snapper or Not!

#1 Post by limotux »

Hi guys

I just installed from "debian-12.5.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso"

I tried to install TimeShift just to backup my system, but though I installed from Discover, clciking it does nothing. Absolutely nothing!

It has been a few days anyway I was thinking of converting my system to BTRFS so I can snapshot mys sytem to any previously working state in case I do something stupid (as I usually do). No nead to repeat the pros of BTRFS + Snapper vs. TimeShift (that didnt even launch anyway)+ EXT4.

I know EXT4 is musch more stable as compared to BTRFS, but my use is just "normal" home use, I don't do anything unusual, just browsing the internet, reading books, sometime listen to music... and I I do nothing special that requires or uses anything that BTRFS provides like huge files or Raid... etc.

The only reason I am thinking of BTRFS is snapshotting to be able to revert back to a working state if anything happens or if I install a software and remove it. I prefer to roll back to the previous state rather than uninstalling.

What do you think guys? Should I try and convert to BTRFS?
Any Debain specific precautions. warnings, recommendations...?
Any good guide step by step to do it to get BTRFS and snapper?

I generally prefer to go with the defaults as a rule of thumb, but I don't mind breaking my own rules if I feel I can benefit from it.
I like the idea of BTRFS and snapper and personally tried it some time ago when I was on EndeavourOS and they worked fine for me for long time.

But I thought I better ask the experts.
Your fee back will be highly appreciated.
Debian 12 (bookworm), KDE Plasma, quad core Intel Core i7-8550U
Drives: 238.47 GiB SSD
Memory: 7690.7 MiB
(Installed 24/8/2023) (no techie)

Linuxgaming1824

Re: [Software] BTRFS and Snapper or Not!

#2 Post by Linuxgaming1824 »

btrfs provides unique capabilities that other file system types do not which are appealing to operating system developers, and testers mainly, and for the end user if they want frequent backups performed.

I have my own philosophy about how my operating system should operate however, and literally attempt, every single day, throughout the day, on every single distribution, to disable, delete, and destroy all automation, and virtualization, in order to get to the root causes of performance/security degradation.

Sometimes timeshift fails to properly restore the bootloader in my experience which can break the install after performing a full system backup. (edit: now that I think about it that's probably because of my non-standard setup, I don't follow defaults..)

In linux, the real benefit is the enormous amount of versatility we can potentially achieve going our own way, making our own solutions. So right now btrfs is "in the news" so to speak, and is being popularized, and provides unique utility.

But you have to ask yourself: What is it you are actually trying to achieve? What's the best way for you to get to that goal?

ext4 is and should be, the super stable file system type, that is performant with the widest variety of software that is existential in the linux world, but did you know, that it actually performs alternatively - in different countries! How the hell is that possible? There are wide ranging and complex issues in linux right now in fact, and the basic rule of thumb, is to stick with the tried and true methods, that have received lots of testing, and successful usage, and avoid the flashy advertising for "new" systems such as btrfs.

limotux

#3 Post by limotux »

Linuxgaming1824 wrote: 2024-04-18 20:15 ....

But you have to ask yourself: What is it you are actually trying to achieve? What's the best way for you to get to that goal?

..... and the basic rule of thumb, is to stick with the tried and true methods, that have received lots of testing, and successful usage, and avoid the flashy advertising for "new" systems such as btrfs.
Thanks @Linuxgaming1824
To answer your question "What is it you are actually trying to achieve?" I simply want to have a way to backup my system, to take a snapshot before any update or installing any software, So if I didn't like it I can roll back to exactly where I was before installing. And I play a lot with the system and software and uninstalling and cleaning takes some work, more than rolling back from a snapshot.
Simply to be on the safe side.

Your last sentence, I have to assure you, I am never ever after the"new" or the latest. You may check previous posts, I came from EndeavourOS which is a rolling release that has always the "latest". The reason mainly was I played with Resilio Sync on some old machines just to have my personal cloud storage, but a rolling release requires I update regularly, it I don't update the system fequently I might be in trouble.
This is another reason I settled on Debian.

I have tried BTRFS when I was on EndeavourOS and never had a problem, it worked fine (I don't need anything unusual as I mentioned),

Snapshots when it is needed and automatically.

Linuxgaming1824

#4 Post by Linuxgaming1824 »

See if you can achieve your goal without the internet involved as a third-party...

in other words, find a book on using linux, and learn how to make a system backup

from a book, instead of allowing the internet to lead you to solutions.

limotux

#5 Post by limotux »

Linuxgaming1824 wrote: 2024-04-18 21:22 See if you can achieve your goal without the internet involved as a third-party...

in other words, find a book on using linux, and learn how to make a system backup

from a book, instead of allowing the internet to lead you to solutions.
Well, I have tried it before when I was on EndeavourOS and it was fine.

But as Debian is different from Arch, I hope to hear from someone who did and converted to BTRFS + snapper how did it go and how it is going with them.

It is all about having incremental snapshots as Timeshift is not working. Plus I like the feature of having a snapshot before updating or installing anything.

limotux

#6 Post by limotux »

Jus another question.
While I used it on EndeavourOS I managed Snapper with BTRFS Assistant. Is it available under Debian or any others similar front end?
UPDATE: I found BTRFS Assistant at https://software.opensuse.org/download/ ... DesmI:more

sdibaja

#7 Post by sdibaja »

limotux wrote: 2024-04-18 19:56
I tried to install TimeShift just to backup my system, but though I installed from Discover, clciking it does nothing. Absolutely nothing!
I find it interesting that Timeshift does not work on your system.

personally I don't want or use such tools, but I did install it on my Debian Mate (stable) system... it works as expected

limotux

#8 Post by limotux »

sdibaja wrote: 2024-04-19 12:09
limotux wrote: 2024-04-18 19:56
I find it interesting that Timeshift does not work on your system.

personally I don't want or use such tools, but I did install it on my Debian Mate (stable) system... it works as expected
It was strange for me @sdibaja that a pakage in the repos and installed through Discover doesn't work!
I don't know what's wrong with "me"! I just installed and followed defaults. Maybe because I have installed some apps and uninstalled them! Maybe I removed mistakenly some system files when cleaning the traces that are needed for TimeShift to work. This is the only thing I can think of.

Maybe I try another fresh install and when it comes to partitioning I select manual and chose BTRFS while installing?!!!
What do you think?

Linuxgaming1824

#9 Post by Linuxgaming1824 »

Try it out if you want to, I like to try everything out personally

I found btrfs counterproductive for me (a waste of time) like constantly being bothered with prompts and updates, but it's interesting if you do take advantage of it, to for example, manage 20 operating systems at the same time on one hard drive.

timeshift is actually broken on a variety of distributions actually not to mention many other tools, problems like that can last for years...

limotux

#10 Post by limotux »

Linuxgaming1824 wrote: 2024-04-19 12:33 Try it out if you want to, I like to try everything out personally

I found btrfs counterproductive for me (a waste of time) like constantly being bothered with prompts and updates, but it's interesting if you do take advantage of it, to for example, manage 20 operating systems at the same time on one hard drive.

timeshift is actually broken on a variety of distributions actually not to mention many other tools, problems like that can last for years...
You say “ I found btrfs counterproductive for me (a waste of time) ”!!!
This is a surprise for me.
How is it counterproductive? Yes it maybe a bit slower for compression, decompression and taking snapshots.
Bit as I said I tried it on EndeavourOS and it was OK. Maybe because I am just a normal home user, just browsing, reading a pdf book… and maybe your use is much more than me. I will appreciate enlightening me more about what you said. I am just curious and keen to learn more. This is the beauty of Linux

Linuxgaming1824

#11 Post by Linuxgaming1824 »

MMm well the way I use computers isn't to sit around being programmed, but to actually program them myself... so

Doesn't really work out for MY NEEDS ; D

Like when I'm using a computer and it interrupts me, with a prompt, or an update, or a prompt to update, that is unacceptable to me, and needs to be resolved.

I'm not really looking forward to maintaining a broken system to begin with, so I actually don't care to follow the prescribed methods that are popularized in flashy colorful linux

I'll give you a little example, timeshift doesnt even work in a variety of linux distributions right now, and who cares that a primary tool for performing system backups is non-functional. Nobody!

...Much less thousands of programs, and features or functionality.

limotux

#12 Post by limotux »

I see, you have a point, your use case is different and you need the most stable system that just runs.
By the way I just made a fresh install with BTRFS. Again I am never after the “latest”, else I would have remained on a rolling release. I care about a stable system generally.

I just “missed” the snapshots, I know myself, I am always trying to learn something new, install and uninstall stuff and break the system. (Even though I care about a stable system, but I don’t take it to have something buggy, else it won’t be Linux.

I will see now snapper and that stuff.
Thank you for your inputs.

Linuxgaming1824

#13 Post by Linuxgaming1824 »

I've been using f2fs actually for years now, and it is as fast a lightning bolt.

It has terrible support down stream, but is absolutely amazing otherwise.

If I was stuck with a non-ssd drive I would totally try out btrfs more often...

I've only used it a few times(I like to use systems in a wide variety of contexts, enjoy all the various utility afforded by alternate systems)

See if you can get good enough with btrfs backups that you can actually maintain debian testing ; D

then you will get brand new xorg +0.0.1 and save your system or w.e xD