Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Help with security mitigations!

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Linuxgaming1824

Re: Help with security mitigations!

#41 Post by Linuxgaming1824 »

I think for the hyper kernel, there needs be mitgations for software that exposes the operating system to advanced hacking, such as the web browser for instance

I'd like to get virtual box working, to properly use it with debian but I think it was removed in Bullseye and Bookworm, maybe it's in trixie... Does anyone know where virtualbox went? How to get it?

There also needs to be at the very least good firewalling, that can be set up without extreme technical effort. Then what more, we have to be careful about introducing new software which may be malicious in depth generally, and how we interact with the internet, and should have advanced means for doing so that respect the reality of the world we live in, instead of just telling people to disconnect their computers repeatedly and then cussing at them for ignoring their bad advice, we should actually develop a competent awareness of our own security and the dangers technology poses to us.

(maybe some of the people responding are more interested in ignoring my direct questions and concerns... but they are still my direct questions and concerns nevertheless...)

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#42 Post by CwF »

Linuxgaming1824 wrote: 2024-04-20 15:35 I'd like to get virtual box working, to properly use it with debian but I think it was removed in Bullseye and Bookworm, maybe it's in trixie... Does anyone know where virtualbox went? How to get it?
Yes, we know.

It's called 'Search'
There is a text entry box at the upper right of the page.
There is faint text present in the box "Search..."
Try it.

Linuxgaming1824

#43 Post by Linuxgaming1824 »

Well I was asking here, because I figured that people who knew the answer to the question
could tell me... that's the benefit of the forum, social interaction.

A benefit without shared value apparently : D

It's not an immediate priority in other words, for me to find my own answers, I'm trying to interact with people! and talk to them!

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#44 Post by CwF »

Linuxgaming1824 wrote: 2024-04-20 15:46 that's the benefit of the forum, social interaction.
This is not a real time face to face interaction and does not qualify as social interaction in my book.

When the child in the back seat keeps repeating "Are we there yet?"
I don't answer.
I give the child a map and teach them how to interpret road signs.
The next comment I expect is
"We are 17 distance units from our destination and will arrive in 19 minutes at our current pace"
If not, I may express my disappointment.
...and no I didn't give them a google map on a smart phone, they're a child. That is no time to be intellectually lazy.

Linuxgaming1824

#45 Post by Linuxgaming1824 »

Another unique solution I've attempted to implement successfully with my local system is to actually foster an awareness of proper sources for critical systems assets such as the linux kernel, and hardware drivers, and to utilize them, while at the same time avoiding dependency on aptitude the debian package management system which, I'm sure anyone with a security conscious is aware, is a target of contemporary advanced exploitation.

People on the internet of course, are openly harassing people for ideas such as this in the *Linux Community* of course to maintain a uniform state of insecurity throughout the linux community.

Granted this is the context we all share, I would hope that members of the Debian forum would respect the fact that there is a real, and necessary security, in fostering and maintaining a real community, one that empowers the individuals that make up it's greater body, and naturally purges itself of misinformation and harassment.

Linuxgaming1824

#46 Post by Linuxgaming1824 »

^ I guess forum mods can go ahead and mark this thread as off-topic now since the people trafficking in the debian forum are treating "Help with security mitigations!" as an off-topic subject matter anyways...

I personally develop unique or new security mitigations, so it's not off-topic for me, but it is clearly off-topic to others that frequent the forums currently.

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#47 Post by cds60601 »

Linuxgaming1824 wrote: 2024-04-20 17:14 I personally develop unique or new security mitigations, so it's not off-topic for me, but it is clearly off-topic to others that frequent the forums currently.
Why not post what you have developed
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Linuxgaming1824

#48 Post by Linuxgaming1824 »

Hey it's off-topic !

Why should the members of the debian community have security anyways...

I think they should just disconnect their computers too! And while theyre at it, they should just go ahead and disconnect their social interactions with other people!
^ I guess forum mods can go ahead and mark this thread as off-topic now since the people trafficking in the debian forum are treating "Help with security mitigations!" as an off-topic subject matter anyways...

I personally develop unique or new security mitigations, so it's not off-topic for me, but it is clearly off-topic to others that frequent the forums currently.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#49 Post by CwF »

@Linuxgaming1824 Your question has been answered.

You reiterate your pointless prose with the skill of a politician.

If 'the communities' opinions are already on the table, exactly what are these vague 'unique or new security mitigations' you personally develop. It's not like this is a new subject lacking your vital input.

Explain one. start to finish, without the flowers.

Linuxgaming1824

#50 Post by Linuxgaming1824 »

Well nobody responds to me, that's why I said just go ahead and move it to off-topic...they just ignore me

(it's off-topic to them, not to me)

donald
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#51 Post by donald »

No actual relevant or technical discussion.
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank