Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Nvidia dGPU and slow performance on HDMI

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Swampebob

Nvidia dGPU and slow performance on HDMI

#1 Post by Swampebob »

I've connected an Asus 24 inch gaming monitor with 60Hz to HDMI on my HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15-dk0xxx.
It has an Intel GPU for the monitor and a dGPU with Nvidia GTX 1650.

I'm running DayZ completely fine on the internal monitor and have FPS on over 100. I launch it with this command from Steam to offload the graphics to the nVidia GPU: NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia %command%
With the external monitor I get the expected 60 FPS, but it is extremely slow. Even when I log in to Gnome I experience intermittent freezing of the mouse pointer for fractions of a second, just like I experience in the game.

I've tried various solutions from this thread: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1244674 ... emely-slow

None of these solutions work. There is a couple solutions that is repeated in different forums. One is to select Nvidia Performance mode instead of Intel Power Saving Mode.
I know you can do this either from Nvidia settings or by running the prime-select command. These options aren't available on Debian.

Can someone lead me in the right direction on how I can fix this?

@ttila

Re: Nvidia dGPU and slow performance on HDMI

#2 Post by @ttila »

I remember Nvidia drivers give a lot of issue when the user uses an external monitor, probably latest drivers fix the issue. Perhaps a solution is here.