Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Software] Touchscreen on Windows Surface

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
ScoobySock

[Software] Touchscreen on Windows Surface

#1 Post by ScoobySock »

Hello,

I just installed Debian on my windows surface pro 4, however I cannot get the touchscreen to work.

I tried the following guide to install a custom kernel, however this caused my machine to get stuck in a boot loop, which I fixed by reinstalling debian:

https://github.com/linux-surface/linux-surface

Has anyone gotten the touchscreen to work on their surface? If so, how?

Dai_trying

Re: [Software] Touchscreen on Windows Surface

#2 Post by Dai_trying »

I have a Surface Pro 3 and I used debian with Gnome and the linux surface kernel and it works nearly flawlessly! I have found that I have to boot into gnome on X mode as wayland causes some programs to fail, but other than that the touch-screen works fine and I have had no issues (except when they changed compression method on the kernel [now fixed]).

urdrwho10

Re: [Software] Touchscreen on Windows Surface

#3 Post by urdrwho10 »

Maybe I need to do some searching for a driver for this computer? It is an HP 520-1020 with MESA Intel HD graphics 2000 . Be cool to get that touch screen working. Now I'm regretting starting this discussion. If all those years ago I had not stepped upon the Linux stone, I wouldn't even have to think about this matter. :wink:

About 3 years ago I installed Linux and rescued my cousins old Dell for her. I've tried to get her to understand that she has a spreadsheet program and word processing (Libre Office) but she's always asking "where is Word?"

But starting this discussion and booting Deb has me back in the saddle again.

I do see on Git there is a project (found some Mint posts about HP Touchscreen issues) but is it worth my time?

https://github.com/glorang/nwfermi
Dai_trying wrote: 2023-11-24 11:24 I have a Surface Pro 3 and I used debian with Gnome and the linux surface kernel and it works nearly flawlessly! I have found that I have to boot into gnome on X mode as wayland causes some programs to fail, but other than that the touch-screen works fine and I have had no issues (except when they changed compression method on the kernel [now fixed]).