Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Debian 11 bullseye in additional AWS region ap-south-2 Hyderabad

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
matthew976

#1 Post by matthew976 »

Currently there isn't an "aws-marketplace" AMI owned by Debian for the the ap-south-2 (Hyderabad) region. All the other regions that I require have this AMI already available, but ap-south-2 just doesn't. AWS support has sent me here to ask if someone from Debian can enable or provide an AMI for this region. The marketplace code that needs to be enabled is "9m3tff1jneeyfykcbnsnmkbz6".

If I can provide any further details or information please don't hesitate to ask. I really don't know what else I can do to solve this issue. If this is the wrong Forum please point me in the right direction.

Thank You!!
-Matthew-

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Debian 11 bullseye in additional AWS region ap-south-2 Hyderabad

#2 Post by Aki »

Hello,

According to the Debian Wiki [1], the "ap-south2 region" is supported by AMI Debian images.

The region-specific AMI ID is: "ami-01878b164ca30ca21"

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/Cloud/AmazonEC2Image/Bullseye
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

matthew976

#3 Post by matthew976 »

Thank you for replying to my post @Aki , you are not wrong, that is a Debian 11. However that is an image that is "owned" by Amazon and does not have the MarketPlace Product Code "9m3tff1jneeyfykcbnsnmkbz6". This AMI doesn't work in my situation since I build my AMI's from the Official Debian provided image (ami-004f16854bfadde0a, debian-11-amd64-20240211-1654-a264997c-d509-4a51-8e85-c2644a3f8ba2) from the us-east-1 region and then copy/share them into other regions and accounts that we require. One of those regions being ap-south-2 Hyderabad. You can see this by going into the AWS Marketplace and selecting Debian 11, then select Launch New Instance -->> Then in the drop down of regions you will NOT find the ap-south-2 region.

Since I was able to share/copy my AMI from us-east-1 into ap-south-2, I can select that AMI in ap-south-2 and attempt to launch an instance from that AMI, I get the following error.

Code: Select all

The instance configuration for this AWS Marketplace product is not supported. Please see the AWS Marketplace site for more information about supported instance types, regions, and operating systems.
And AWS Support tells me to come here to see if anyone can help check the box that will "enable" this Marketplace AMI in the ap-south-2 region.

Here is their official response:

Code: Select all

As said before, unfortunately, from our side we can’t ask for anything since this AMI is 100% owned by Debian and these decisions are made at the sole discretion of the third-party seller.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

-Matthew-

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by Aki »

Hello,

I would suggest asking here:
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

matthew976

#5 Post by matthew976 »

Update with resolution.

I emailed one of the Debian Developers that I found on the debian-cloud email Distro. This person was super helpful/responsive and here is what they found.
There is an option in the AWS Marketplace Management Dashboard to "automatically copy to new
regions" for all the Debian AMI's. However this just wasn't working.
A ticket was opened with AWS Marketplace and a few hours later I had the correct AMI in that region.

@Aki Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by Aki »

Hello,
matthew976 wrote: 2024-04-22 13:26 Update with resolution.

I emailed one of the Debian Developers that I found on the debian-cloud email Distro. This person was super helpful/responsive and here is what they found.
There is an option in the AWS Marketplace Management Dashboard to "automatically copy to new
regions" for all the Debian AMI's. However this just wasn't working.
A ticket was opened with AWS Marketplace and a few hours later I had the correct AMI in that region.

@Aki Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
Thank you for reporting back.

I'm really glad you sorted it out. :)

Please, mark the discussion as "solved" manually adding the text tag "[Solved]" at the beginning of the subject of the first message ; i.e. :
Happy Debian !
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀