Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

ACPI/XFCE: no desktop after sleep with nvidia driver installed?

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
bitrat

ACPI/XFCE: no desktop after sleep with nvidia driver installed?

#1 Post by bitrat »

Hi,

I've installed the closed source nvidia drivers on my Bookworm/xfce system.

The proprietary driver seems to have solved all of the issues I was having with nouveau, and looks very nice, but there's one annoying problem.

If I lock the screen (eg, with xflock4) or switch to another virtual terminal and back (eg, with ctrl-alt-F4 ... ctrl-alt-F7) all I get is a blank (black) X server screen with a mouse pointer.

I see the following in /var/log/Xorg.0.log:

Code: Select all

[   102.447] (II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode ""DFP-1:nvidia-auto-select""
[   102.491] (II) NVIDIA(0): ACPI: failed to connect to the ACPI event daemon; the daemon
[   102.491] (II) NVIDIA(0):     may not be running or the ""AcpidSocketPath"" X
[   102.491] (II) NVIDIA(0):     configuration option may not be set correctly.  When the
[   102.491] (II) NVIDIA(0):     ACPI event daemon is available, the NVIDIA X driver will
[   102.491] (II) NVIDIA(0):     try to use it to receive ACPI event notifications.  For
[   102.491] (II) NVIDIA(0):     details, please see the ""ConnectToAcpid"" and
[   102.491] (II) NVIDIA(0):     ""AcpidSocketPath"" X configuration options in Appendix B: X
[   102.491] (II) NVIDIA(0):     Config Options in the README.
The 'the ACPI event daemon' (acpid) isn't currently installed. I'm assuming the README referred to in the log is in the acpid package.

Anyway, I intend to install it and see whether it resolves this issue but, before I do, it would be good to hear from anyone with experience in this mechanism. Also, any info about the configuration used by the nvidia driver to listen for ACPI events would be great!

I may be forced to remove and reinstall the driver after installing acpid, just to get things working, but I'd prefer to configure it manually if possible.

Finally, when I get time, I intend to examine the system in the state where the desktop has failed to start, to see exactly what's running. Also, I need to track down the relevant window manager and desktop logs. Any info on those would be appreciated as well!

Rather than relying on the nvidia driver, maybe I can handle the ACPI wake event using acpi_listen, and prompt the window manager myself? It looks like the graphics driver needs to signal the xserver to start the window manager, but I don't know yet what processes stop and start during screen locking, so that's just a guess. Any info on this mechanism would also be great!

Cheers,
bitrat

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: ACPI/XFCE: no desktop after sleep with nvidia driver installed?

#2 Post by Aki »

Hello,
Why don't you install the acpid package ?
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

bitrat

Re: ACPI/XFCE: no desktop after sleep with nvidia driver installed?

#3 Post by bitrat »

Aki wrote: 2024-04-22 17:28 Hello,
Why don't you install the acpid package ?
I intend to, just fishing for advice first. :)