Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Help with Virt-Manager & QEMU-KVM

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
pwzhangzz

[Solved] Help with Virt-Manager & QEMU-KVM

#1 Post by pwzhangzz »

I usually create virtual machines on a usb stick. I have no problem with VirtualBox, but with virt-manager, the following error msg is received:
Unable to complete install: 'Cannot access storage file '/media/ryzen/extra0/kvm/debian12e.qcow2' (as uid:64055, gid:64055): Permission denied'
Last edited by pwzhangzz on 2024-04-24 10:59, edited 1 time in total.

pwzhangzz

Re: [HowTo] Getting Started with Virt-Manager & QEMU-KVM

#2 Post by pwzhangzz »

@pbear: Thanks, I got it solved. It is not straightforward. Since we are dealing almost exclusively with desktop users with very well defined vm needs, VirtualBox is really the way to go, especially now that its vboxsvga virtual graphics driver is even better than VMWare has to offer (a great testimony to the power of open-source, including the open-sourced in-kernel amdgpu driver). But thanks again for your endeavor; I will continue to watch this thread.

There is one suggestion from our experiences of using qemu/kvm vis-a-vis VirtualBox, in that when creating qemu/kvm guests, we always check the "unmap" box in ViirtIO disk bus, as shown in the following screenshot:
Screenshot from 2024-04-23 07-15-36.png
This way, deleted files from the vm will be automatically freed (unmapped) thus will not cause the vm to indefinitely expand. Again, since we only have very well defined needs for our (desktop) vms, if there is one thing that may entice me to go back to qemu/kvm, this is it.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by CwF »

Maybe leave this thread for promoting the default repository approach...
pwzhangzz wrote: 2024-04-24 00:00 deleted files from the vm will be automatically freed (unmapped) thus will not cause the vm to indefinitely expand.
virt-sparsify takes care of that.

pwzhangzz

#4 Post by pwzhangzz »

CwF wrote: 2024-04-24 00:17 Maybe leave this thread for promoting the default repository approach...
Me bad
CwF wrote: 2024-04-24 00:17
pwzhangzz wrote: 2024-04-24 00:00 deleted files from the vm will be automatically freed (unmapped) thus will not cause the vm to indefinitely expand.
virt-sparsify takes care of that.
Thanks. Virt-sparsify is a batch operation (and there is an equivalent command in vbox); however, many of our clients actually prefer this approach and do not want deleted files instantly removed from the vm.

pbear

Re: Help with Virt-Manager & QEMU-KVM

#5 Post by pbear »

Starting with the original issue, I have several VirtMan VMs running from USB hard drive, so there's no structural impediment. OTOH, I did run into a similar message (may even have been identical) when trying to set up a quickie test on another computer using a USB flash drive. Main difference between the two cases was that the former is mounted (via fstab) at /data/vm-annex, while the latter was mounted at /media/pbear. Meanwhile, VirtMan was running as root (albeit with me as a member of the libvirt group). User-root unable to access a mount at /media/$USER is routine and has nothing to do with VirtMan. Could that have been your issue?

Don't understand the point about unmapping. VirtMan VHDs aren't dynamic, so there's nothing to expand (or contract). Do you have a reference handy?

Edit: A little research (all I have time for at the moment) suggests unmap was recommended at one time because virtio didn't yet support trim on SSDs. If that's what you're talking about, looks like it's no longer an issue.
Last edited by pbear on 2024-04-24 03:54, edited 1 time in total.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by CwF »

pwzhangzz wrote: 2024-04-23 05:22 I usually create virtual machines on a usb stick. I have no problem with VirtualBox, but with virt-manager, the following error msg is received:
Unable to complete install: 'Cannot access storage file '/media/ryzen/extra0/kvm/debian12e.qcow2' (as uid:64055, gid:64055): Permission denied'
You don't need to have the device mounted at all anywhere in the host, better off if it isn't, only 'enumerated' is needed

Code: Select all

# ln -s --target-directory=/var/lib/libvirt/images /dev/disk/by-one-of-choices
Also, this choice from the default storage pool then preferably uses virtio. Can be any of the emulated choices, non-shareable and 'raw'

Linking any storage or file into the default storage simplifies and bypasses user permission issues.

A more direct way is to vfio pass the usb port itself. This solution allows any real usb bootable device as if bios booted.

pwzhangzz

#7 Post by pwzhangzz »

@pbear and @CwF:

What I did was re-mounted the target usb partition:

Code: Select all

sudo mount /dev/sda2 /home/ryzen/kvm
then created a new pool ("usb-c") and a new volume ("/home/ryzen/kvm/kvm/debian12e.qcow2") as shown in the following screenshot:

Screenshot from 2024-04-24 16-44-38.png

The workaround was very simple but not straightforward. Thanks a whole lot for spending time tending to this problem.

pbear

Re: [Solved] Help with Virt-Manager & QEMU-KVM

#8 Post by pbear »

Excellent. For anyone else running into the issue, another option is mounting at /media/libvirt (or similar). Which is to say, it's specifically mounting to /media/<user> which restricts access, not mounting to /media in general. Some may prefer mounting to /media on consistency grounds, as it's the official mount area for removable drives. As mentioned, I don't worry about it. Another little trick. Although frowned on by some, the mount for a removable drive can be included in fstab. Just be sure to use the nofail parameter. Then, when the drive is attached, the system will use the mount point designated in fstab, i.e., no need to specify manually.