Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] How do you install xed text editor on Bookworm?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
debian-2019

[Solved] How do you install xed text editor on Bookworm?

#1 Post by debian-2019 »

How do you install xed (text editor) on Bookworm?
I prefer a method that avoids breaking my Debian install.
Last edited by debian-2019 on 2023-08-24 21:27, edited 1 time in total.

livix07

Re: [Software] How do you install xed text editor on Bookworm?

#2 Post by livix07 »

Unfortunately this particular text editor is not in the Debian repos any longer https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/xed
Therefore you have to install it following the instructions provided by the developer(s) in order to try it out:
https://github.com/linuxmint/xed
Do you mind if I ask what's wrong with all the other text editors that are provided by Debian?

debian-2019

#3 Post by debian-2019 »

livix07 wrote: 2023-08-23 18:24 Do you mind if I ask what's wrong with all the other text editors that are provided by Debian?
I simply have gotten used to the keyboard shortcuts that are carried over from my favorite text editors in Windows. I always work on multiple text files at once, and (as an example) the use of Ctrl + Tab key combination had become instinctive for me when switching between open files.

revmacian

#4 Post by revmacian »

debian-2019 wrote: 2023-08-24 18:28
livix07 wrote: 2023-08-23 18:24 Do you mind if I ask what's wrong with all the other text editors that are provided by Debian?
I simply have gotten used to the keyboard shortcuts that are carried over from my favorite text editors in Windows. I always work on multiple text files at once, and (as an example) the use of Ctrl + Tab key combination had become instinctive for me when switching between open files.
You could try Geany, it's in the repos and has a UI to configure custom keyboard shortcuts. I was using Pluma until I found this gem.
US Navy NEC HM8404, FMF

debian-2019

#5 Post by debian-2019 »

revmacian wrote: 2023-08-24 19:06 You could try Geany, it's in the repos and has a UI to configure custom keyboard shortcuts. I was using Pluma until I found this gem.
Excellent! That text editor even have the other features I wanted but missing in xed.
Thank you! :D

revmacian

#6 Post by revmacian »

debian-2019 wrote: 2023-08-24 21:26
revmacian wrote: 2023-08-24 19:06 You could try Geany, it's in the repos and has a UI to configure custom keyboard shortcuts. I was using Pluma until I found this gem.
Excellent! That text editor even have the other features I wanted but missing in xed.
Thank you! :D
You're welcome, I'm glad I could help. It's a great editor and I use it for themes and python code. Open Synaptic Package Manager and search for Geany.. there are numerous plugins for Geany to make it even better.
US Navy NEC HM8404, FMF

John1983

Re: [Solved] How do you install xed text editor on Bookworm?

#7 Post by John1983 »

Both xed and gedit are similar. I just switched to Debian 12.5 from other distros, and gedit installed with no hassles (sudo apt install gedit).
The one feature I like in both of these editors is how the the find function works. Find highlights all occurrences. Very useful when modifying code.

pbear

Re: [Solved] How do you install xed text editor on Bookworm?

#8 Post by pbear »

FWIW, there is a way to do this, to wit, import from LMDE (Mint's Debian respin). The fancy way, which gets updates, would be to add LMDE's repo to sources, taking the necessary steps to pull only those packages (xed and xed-common). What I do is export them from LMDE with dpkg repack, then install into Debian. Presumably only works if both are on the same code base. Can vouch that it works LMDE6 into Debian12.

Why do I bother? Several reasons, nothing earth-shattering. Partly familiarity, partly that I find it useful to have two text editors so I can use different settings, e.g., pretty display font for regular text files, mono for config files.