Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

file transferring process - visualization

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
HuniBadger

file transferring process - visualization

#1 Post by HuniBadger »

Dear Folks,

I am using Debian 12 + Gnome.
When I tranfer data from A to B, there is no visualization of the copying process. That's a bit unfamiliar for me since I have never seen an OS, that does not show the process. Is there a way to switch this on?

Thanks for helping!

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: file transferring process - visualization

#2 Post by sunrat »

Terribly vague question. What are A and B? What application or command are you using for copying?
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

HuniBadger

#3 Post by HuniBadger »

Oh yes, you are right! Very vague. Sorry.
I wrote it probably this way because its so trivial. I just use the mouse and dragdrop some to data to another folder...

Uptorn

#4 Post by Uptorn »

sunrat wrote: 2024-04-25 11:32 Terribly vague question. What are A and B? What application or command are you using for copying?
OP is young enough to have only known the Windows file transfer dialogue from 8 onward, which supplies a realtime visual graph of read/write speed as files are copied. We can probably consider it a "creature comfort" feature.

I do not know of any such dialogue for Gnome. Perhaps there is a Gnome extension that does that?

pbear

#5 Post by pbear »

The File Manager in Gnome is called Nautilus. A quick internet search for nautilus file transfer progress turned up a bunch of hits. Didn't have time to read more, but you might find something useful with a similar search.

FWIW, Nemo (used by Cinnamon) does this as a matter of course. As I recall, so does Thunar (used by XFCE).

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by sunrat »

pbear wrote: 2024-04-26 01:03FWIW, Nemo (used by Cinnamon) does this as a matter of course. As I recall, so does Thunar (used by XFCE).
KDE Plasma's file manager Dolphin shows transfers as a moving bar in the panel, and also an icon in the system tray which you can click on for details such as speed and percentage completed.
Of course if you are just moving a small file or two it is almost instant so no point showing anything. Even copying say a 100MB file to an SSD is almost instant on my system.

I have no idea about Gnome, never use it.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!