Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Trouble with NVIDIA drivers and secure boot after update

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
mrM9

#1 Post by mrM9 »

Hello all!

I installed nvidia-current/525.147.05 driver with secure boot by following this guide: https://makedebianfunagainandlearnhowto ... ootworking

Today I updated the system and now I'm getting:

Code: Select all

$ sudo dkms status
nvidia-current/525.147.05, 6.1.0-18-amd64, x86_64: installed (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!)
and:

× nvidia-persistenced.service - NVIDIA Persistence Daemon
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/nvidia-persistenced.service; enabled; preset: enabled)
     Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sat 2024-04-20 19:32:21 CEST; 2h 28min ago
    Process: 1255 ExecStart=/usr/bin/nvidia-persistenced --user nvpd (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
    Process: 1280 ExecStopPost=/bin/rm -rf /var/run/nvidia-persistenced (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
        CPU: 11ms

Apr 20 19:32:21 Debian systemd[1]: Starting nvidia-persistenced.service - NVIDIA Persistence Daemon...
Apr 20 19:32:21 Debian nvidia-persistenced[1263]: Started (1263)
Apr 20 19:32:21 Debian nvidia-persistenced[1263]: Failed to query NVIDIA devices. Please ensure that the NVIDIA device files (/dev/nvidia*) exist, and that user 114 has read and write permissions for those files.
Apr 20 19:32:21 Debian nvidia-persistenced[1255]: nvidia-persistenced failed to initialize. Check syslog for more details.
Apr 20 19:32:21 Debian nvidia-persistenced[1263]: Shutdown (1263)
Apr 20 19:32:21 Debian systemd[1]: nvidia-persistenced.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Apr 20 19:32:21 Debian systemd[1]: nvidia-persistenced.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Apr 20 19:32:21 Debian systemd[1]: Failed to start nvidia-persistenced.service - NVIDIA Persistence Daemon.
It's my first time. Anyone has any idea on how to fix this?
Last edited by mrM9 on 2024-05-08 16:41, edited 1 time in total.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Trouble with NVIDIA drivers and secure boot after update

#2 Post by Aki »

Hello,

The error message WARNING! Diff between built and installed module! could make sense:
  • the loaded kernel modules is modified at binary level (as a file) by the signature required by secure boot (appended to the kernel module file)
  • therefore, the signed kernel module is different from the its native built version (without signature)
Perhaps you did not sign all kernel modules required by the nvidia proprietary driver, therefore nvidia-persistenced.service fails

The Debian repository (non-free section) hosts the nvidia kernel modules (an their dependencies) and you may install them (after removing what you already installed): Here the Debian Wiki page: Hope this helps.
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

mrM9

#3 Post by mrM9 »

Hello,

Is there a way to fix this mess I created by updating kernel from Linux 6.1.0-18-amd64 x86_64 to Linux 6.1.0-20-amd64 x86_64 while keeping the drivers I have (i.e. making them work on Linux 6.1.0-20-amd64 x86_64)?

mrM9

#4 Post by mrM9 »

Solved.

For anyone with my same problem, purge all Nvidia drivers.

Assuming you saved the resources you got while following

https://web.archive.org/web/20230929035 ... ootworking (archived)

you can simply do:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-cuda-mps nvidia-driver nvidia-cuda-mps vulkan-tools firmware-linux firmware-linux-nonfree firmware-misc-nonfree nvidia-kernel-dkms

VERSION="$(uname -r)"
SHORT_VERSION="$(uname -r | cut -d . -f 1-2)"
MODULES_DIR=/lib/modules/$VERSION
KBUILD_DIR=/usr/lib/linux-kbuild-$SHORT_VERSION
cd "$MODULES_DIR/updates/dkms"
sudo apt-get install sbsigntool

read -s KBUILD_SIGN_PIN
Enter the PIN you chose.

export KBUILD_SIGN_PIN

for i in *.ko ; do sudo --preserve-env=KBUILD_SIGN_PIN "$KBUILD_DIR"/scripts/sign-file sha256 /var/lib/shim-signed/mok/MOK.priv /var/lib/shim-signed/mok/MOK.der "$i" ; done
Then reboot and run

nvidia-smi
It was that simple.

Thank you Aki for your help.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by Aki »

Hello,

I'm glad you sorted it out and thanks for reporting back the solution you found. :)

Please, mark the discussion as "solved" manually adding the text tag "[Solved]" at the beginning of the subject of the first message (after other tags, if any); i.e. :
Happy Debian !
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀