Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Where is default wifi power save set?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
seamusdemora

Where is default wifi power save set?

#1 Post by seamusdemora »

I am using a derivative Debian distribution (Raspberry Pi OS): 'bookworm'. nmcli is the network management tool, and the default WiFi power save setting is enabled; i.e. as installed, before any changes are made, WiFi power save is enabled:

Code: Select all

$ iw wlan0 get power_save
Power save: on
I have checked the file '/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/preconfigured.nmconnection' (the default and only connection file), and it has nothing in it re 'power save':

[connection]
id=preconfigured
uuid=5d0fb816-f6f4-44ec-bce7-d4dd44387c3f
type=wifi
timestamp=1713166397

[wifi]
mode=infrastructure
ssid=Mesh01

[wifi-security]
key-mgmt=wpa-psk
psk=35d2f7ea3efdb59bcdeed67f2a01295b4f6f2ba3245328977156c3970b50a540

[ipv4]
method=auto

[ipv6]
addr-gen-mode=default
method=auto

[proxy]
And so my question is this: How did power_save come to be turned on by default in my system?

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Where is default wifi power save set?

#2 Post by Aki »

Hello,

Check parameters of the wireless adapter kernel module.

Moved to "Off-Topic" since it is not about Debian.
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

seamusdemora

#3 Post by seamusdemora »

Aki wrote: 2024-04-24 06:08 Hello,

Check parameters of the wireless adapter kernel module.

Moved to "Off-Topic" since it is not about Debian.
"not about Debian"?? Is RPi OS not a Debian derivative; is it not the same brcmfmac driver?

But checking brcmfmac parameters is a good idea... how do I do that, please? And how can the default values of these parameters be changed permanently?

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by Aki »

Hello,
seamusdemora wrote: 2024-04-25 06:01 Is RPi OS not a Debian derivative
It is a derivative distribution by Raspberry Foundation. As an example, this is a citation of the "About" disclaim of RPi OS Linux git repository: "Kernel source tree for Raspberry Pi-provided kernel builds. Issues unrelated to the linux kernel should be posted on the community forum at https://forums.raspberrypi.com/"
seamusdemora wrote: 2024-04-25 06:01 is it not the same brcmfmac driver?
Many part of the Linux source code can be identical, but some can be modified/added to fit the RPi OS to the Raspberry Pi hardware. I haven't checked the brcmfmac kernel module.
seamusdemora wrote: 2024-04-25 06:01 But checking brcmfmac parameters is a good idea... how do I do that, please? And how can the default values of these parameters be changed permanently?
You can use the command:

$ /sbin/modinfo brcmfmac
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

seamusdemora

#5 Post by seamusdemora »

Aki wrote: 2024-04-25 07:43 Hello,
seamusdemora wrote: 2024-04-25 06:01 Is RPi OS not a Debian derivative
It is a derivative distribution by Raspberry Foundation. As an example, this is a citation of the "About" disclaim of RPi OS Linux git repository: "Kernel source tree for Raspberry Pi-provided kernel builds. Issues unrelated to the linux kernel should be posted on the community forum at https://forums.raspberrypi.com/"
Aye - well that is not possible for me. You see I was "banned for life" for protesting a censorious heavy hand :) So you can think of me as a "political refugee" I suppose :)
Aki wrote: 2024-04-25 07:43
seamusdemora wrote: 2024-04-25 06:01 is it not the same brcmfmac driver?
Many part of the Linux source code can be identical, but some can be modified/added to fit the RPi OS to the Raspberry Pi hardware. I haven't checked the brcmfmac kernel module.
seamusdemora wrote: 2024-04-25 06:01 But checking brcmfmac parameters is a good idea... how do I do that, please? And how can the default values of these parameters be changed permanently?
You can use the command:

$ /sbin/modinfo brcmfmac
Hmm... unfortunately, nothing relevant to the wifi "power save" option was revealed. Maybe you can clear something up for me: I've heard two different stories re the brcmfmac driver. One story is that it's open-source - the other is that it's not. How is it considered in Debian?

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by Aki »

seamusdemora wrote: 2024-04-25 14:04 [..] I've heard two different stories re the brcmfmac driver. One story is that it's open-source - the other is that it's not. How is it considered in Debian?
You can check the Debian Wiki: note: if you agree, you may change the subject of the first message:
[Raspberry Pi OS] Where is default wifi power save set for brcmfmac kernel module ?
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

seamusdemora

#7 Post by seamusdemora »

Aki wrote: 2024-04-26 07:37 note: if you agree, you may change the subject of the first message: [Raspberry Pi OS] Where is default wifi power save set for brcmfmac kernel module ?

I'm sorry, but I'm not following your meaning in this comment?

fabien
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

#8 Post by fabien »

seamusdemora wrote: 2024-04-26 20:42
Aki wrote: 2024-04-26 07:37 note: if you agree, you may change the subject of the first message: [Raspberry Pi OS] Where is default wifi power save set for brcmfmac kernel module ?

If you agree to change your topic title, you can do so by editing your first post and changing the subject with a more informative one, e.g.
[Raspberry Pi OS] Where is default wifi power save set for brcmfmac kernel module?
ImageShare your Debian SCRIPTS
There will be neither barrier nor walls, neither official nor guard, there will be no more desert and the entire world will become a garden. — Anacharsis Cloots

seamusdemora

#9 Post by seamusdemora »

fabien wrote: 2024-04-26 20:50
seamusdemora wrote: 2024-04-26 20:42

If you agree to change your topic title, you can do so by editing your first post and changing the subject with a more informative one, e.g.
[Raspberry Pi OS] Where is default wifi power save set for brcmfmac kernel module?
What would be the advantage of that? All I am trying to do is learn/confirm that the "power save" feature is set in the brcmfmac kernel module (and learn where/how to change the default). I'm about 99% sure that this is not something that would be changed by the RPi OS team - meaning that it's exactly the same as in Debian.

fabien
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

#10 Post by fabien »

seamusdemora wrote: 2024-04-26 20:59 What would be the advantage of that?
A better title allows you to get more views and therefore more chances of getting a response.
ImageShare your Debian SCRIPTS
There will be neither barrier nor walls, neither official nor guard, there will be no more desert and the entire world will become a garden. — Anacharsis Cloots