Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Mounting LUKS root partition on beagleboard

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Ciaran1

Mounting LUKS root partition on beagleboard

#1 Post by Ciaran1 »

Hello,

I have the following setup: Booting beagleboard black industrial (5.10.168-ti-r71) from SD card which has 2 partitions:
  • Partition 1 is ext4 format and contains only the standard /boot directory files
  • Partition 2 is LUKS1 encrypted and contains all other files(/home /etc/ …)
At the moment when the system boots from partition 1, it decrypts the LUKS1 root partition and mounts these files in the correct location, however there are many failures regarding system services (refer to boot logs image below). Also sudo commands don’t work and ssh only works over serial connection not TCP/IP.

I tested the same 2 partition setup without any LUKS encryption and the board booted and functioned properly so I’m assuming the issue is something to do with mounting the LUKS partition. It looks to me like some services are being started before partition 2 is fully decrypted which is confusing me since these services are stored on the root partition so if they're available at all, they all should be available. I tried adding delays to the services with failures, but this just led to more new failures so I don't think this is solving the primary issue at hand.

Any suggestions on how I can debug this issue or maybe restart all services after booting? :)

Thanks!
Ciarán
bootlogs.jpeg
fstab.png

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Mounting LUKS root partition on beagleboard

#2 Post by Aki »

Hello,
Ciaran1 wrote: 2024-04-27 11:42 I have the following setup: Booting beagleboard black industrial (5.10.168-ti-r71) from SD card which has 2 partitions:
  • Partition 1 is ext4 format and contains only the standard /boot directory files
  • Partition 2 is LUKS1 encrypted and contains all other files(/home /etc/ …)
[..] I’m assuming the issue is something to do with mounting the LUKS partition. It looks to me like some services are being started before partition 2 is fully decrypted which is confusing me since these services are stored on the root partition so if they're available at all, they all should be available. [..]
Any suggestions on how I can debug this issue or maybe restart all services after booting? :)
What is the installed operating system ?

What is the URL from where you downloaded it ?

In the /etc/fstab scren copy, the second row refers to an ordinary ext4 mount point, not a LUKS one (see [1]).

You can have a look at the system boot logs to get an idea of what is happening; you can use the command (root password required):

Code: Select all

script log.txt
su -l -c "journalctl -b --no-pager"
exit
---
note: please send logs as text (not as imaged) using code tags to include commands and/or their logs in the body of a message.
---
[1] Debian GNU/Linux Installation Guide > Mounting encrypted volumes
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀