Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Off-Topic] So who here is looking forward to Ubuntu's 24.04 LTS next week

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
my2we9dy

[Off-Topic] So who here is looking forward to Ubuntu's 24.04 LTS next week

#1 Post by my2we9dy »

They are calling it the best LTS ever. Just curious if anyone here even cares :roll:
I for one am tempted to install in Virtualbox and try it out.

Linuxgaming1824

Re: [Off-Topic] So who here is looking forward to Ubuntu's 24.04 LTS next week

#2 Post by Linuxgaming1824 »

Every time I have tested Ubuntu's 24.04 since they started releasing testing images for it I was extremely disappointed with it honestly. There have been so many unworkable bugs that I can't believe it's being released as it is now. I think they have no choice but to release images at a specific time regardless of whether or not testing/development are accomplishing their goals in a timely manner. That leaves the end user, the actual benefactor of their work, with a broken system after all.

Many people are actually left in the dark, when they feel compelled to use the newer systems, which just so happen not to work with their unique hardware/software, and are unstable, and it makes me very sad for them. Many people simply turn away from linux after experiences like that, when other systems that really do just work are a click away.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#3 Post by None1975 »

my2we9dy wrote: 2024-04-17 13:04 They are calling it the best LTS ever.
It has not yet been released, but has already been declared the best. Some absurdity...
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by wizard10000 »

Nah. If I was gonna use an LTS release I'd stick with Debian.
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by Hallvor »

Ubuntu 6.06 "Dapper Drake" was my introduction to GNU/Linux and the first distro I installed, and I still think it was a very good distro back then. They actually delayed its release to iron out issues, so stability was a high priority. I had no problems with it.

It went downhill from there with updates and drivers causing trouble; I'm not talking particularly new or rare hardware here, just common hardware that worked fine in one version, but didn't work properly in the next.

Maybe they'll get it right again, and I wish them luck, but they lost me as a user by screwing up several times.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

jmgibson1981

#6 Post by jmgibson1981 »

For awhile I had debated getting it installed. And honestly a part of me still might want to. But I've finally come to terms with the distro not mattering as much as one thinks it does. There is no perfect. There is only the one with the least problems. So Debian it is at this point. At this point I only have 3 problems that are worth mentioning. Flickering in Kate on Plasma when it is retrieving stuff from the LSP server. CodeBlocks would occasionally crash, but I believe that has been fixed. Switched to VSCode anyway so it's a non / fixed issue for me. Also had a problem with the Bottles flatpak loading Battle.net due to my machine supposedly not having a graphics card on Wayland. For the time being Xorg is solving that issue

I haven't hopped in a fair while now and see little reason to. About the only way Debian would reach relative perfection for me is if Pantheon could be built on it. Otherwise I'm staying put i believe. I've tried. I gave up. Far to many packages need backporting and it would virtually ruin whatever stable is here.

my2we9dy

#7 Post by my2we9dy »

my2we9dy wrote: 2024-04-17 13:04 They are calling it the best LTS ever. Just curious if anyone here even cares :roll:
Just an update on this one.
Downloaded and tried it on Virtualbox. It was ok but when I felt like Canonical was shoving snap down my throat at every possible opportunity, it was the breaking point. Removed it from Virtualbox and deleted all the files. I am done with Ubuntu.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by sunrat »

I never had any satisfactory experience trying to run Ubuntu. And I never will try it again now that snaps (aka. snap viruses IMO) are ubiquitous in it.
I even tried an installation of Ubuntu-based KDE Neon which is the KDE teams bleeding edge demo of their latest, currently Plasma 6. It crashed several times.
Also tried Garuda and OpenSuse Tumbleweed both of which feature Plasma 6, and both worked nicely. Of the two, I recommend OpenSuse Tumbleweed if you want to check out Plasma 6 as it is more original than the highly customised Garuda.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

jmgibson1981

#9 Post by jmgibson1981 »

So my update. I did install it, rather I did a chroot install of Jammy then upgraded each release in turn to current Noble via the Debian method. Been using it the last few days with nary a whisper of a problem. Quite pleased and surprised. I haven't seen a single error of any kind pop up in a notification window. Had a gjs something or other on Jammy multiple times a day. Will revert to my Debian most likely but Noble isn't half bad.

It's almost shocking to me. A fresh LTS always had some kinds of problems so close to release. This install seems perfect, despite being upgraded in place through 4 releases.

*EDIT* Whether or not it matters my release upgrades were done on a booted fully installed system to my needs. Rebooted between each upgrade. So for all purposes a regular upgrade like anyone would have. Still shocked it's seemingly perfect.

pbear

#10 Post by pbear »

I've always installed the latest Ubuntu LTS as a VM, so this is a biennial Rite of Spring. Like jmgibson, I'd say this is the cleanest 'dot-zero' Ubuntu LTS I've seen (going back to 16.04). In fact, haven't found any glitches yet. Noticed was being installed in Virt-Manager, so included spice-vdagent. BIOS boot gets only GPT + BIOS boot partition (last two LTSs got superfluous EFI partitions). Default installation gets a 4 GB swap file, which I think is a good default. Have option of Basic app package (system utilities + Firefox) or Extended (adds LibreOffice and several other apps). Main problem is Snaps, but that's old news. Also, the ISO is now 6 GB (22.04 was 3.7 GB), which is pretty bloated.

Edited to correct description of Basic vs Extended app options. Turns out I had misunderstood.
Last edited by pbear on 2024-04-29 06:10, edited 1 time in total.

vng2022

#11 Post by vng2022 »

I noticed that 24.04 has grub2 2.12 which will allows to encrypt /boot partition with LUKS2 and PBKDF = pbkdf
-- no argon2id keyslots so number of iterations should go up. I don't tried it -- it was done on TW long time ago, but it is step in a good direction. Still, waiting for trixie.

vng2022

#12 Post by vng2022 »

pbear wrote: 2024-04-27 04:52 Also, the ISO is now 6 GB (22.04 was 3.7 GB), which is pretty bloated.
I thinks it is because of the new installer, as its squashfs, unlike pool, doesn't compressed much.

alienspy

#13 Post by alienspy »

my2we9dy wrote: 2024-04-17 13:04 They are calling it the best LTS ever. Just curious if anyone here even cares :roll:
For what goals, one, you think, should use Ubuntu? It is not a sarcastic question.

I use Debian 12 on my desktop, and i installed Linux Mint on wife's laptop. I don't work with servers.

For me Mint is better for home use, and lately, i think Debian is also fine for noobs (such as me and my relatives).

jmgibson1981

#14 Post by jmgibson1981 »

No goals specifically. If one has a goal and thinks a specific distro will get them there they are sorely misinformed. With few exceptions any distro can do just about anything you want. It just depends on how much effort you are willing to put into getting what you want out of it. Pre-configuration and available prepackaged software is the only difference 9 times out of 10.

pbear

#15 Post by pbear »

alienspy wrote: 2024-04-27 19:04 I use Debian 12 on my desktop, and i installed Linux Mint on wife's laptop.
Off-topic, if you haven't already, take a look at LMDE, which is quite good IMHO. If you wish to discuss, please open a separate thread.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#16 Post by sunrat »

pbear wrote: 2024-04-28 02:31
alienspy wrote: 2024-04-27 19:04 I use Debian 12 on my desktop, and i installed Linux Mint on wife's laptop.
Off-topic, if you haven't already, take a look at LMDE, which is quite good IMHO. If you wish to discuss, please open a separate thread.
In context, I think it's allowable here. The post mentions Ubuntu and Mint is based on Ubuntu.
And the whole topic is in the Off-topic subforum anyway. Discussions in Off-topic often drift somewhat and that's not an egregiously bad thing.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

pbear

#17 Post by pbear »

Got it, thanks. To clarify, LMDE isn't based on Ubuntu. It's based directly on Debian. That's why I think it might be a good fit for alienspy's situation.

alienspy

#18 Post by alienspy »

pbear wrote: 2024-04-28 15:34 Got it, thanks. To clarify, LMDE isn't based on Ubuntu. It's based directly on Debian. That's why I think it might be a good fit for alienspy's situation.
I will think about it, but i am now very used to Debian and maybe in future will ditch Mint in favour of Debian 13 with Cinnamon/KDE. In what aspects LMDE can be better for home use? Mint apps like TimeShift are also, i think, available on Debian.

I am not sure that i agree with the statement that "Pre-configuration and available prepackaged software is the only difference 9 times out of 10." between distros. I am not an expert but i think that Debian, Arch and Fedora, for example, differ not only in preconfigs.

pbear

#19 Post by pbear »

alienspy wrote: 2024-04-28 16:09 In what aspects LMDE can be better for home use?
Sorry, guess I wasn't clear. What I'm suggesting is that LMDE probably has whatever features caused you to install Mint on your wife's computer. Then, having both of you on the same code base would simplify your job as system administrator. Switching both of you to LMDE would be an option, of course, but I assume you are running Debian because you prefer a desktop not supported by Mint.

Fossy
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#20 Post by Fossy »

pbear wrote: 2024-04-29 02:09
alienspy wrote: 2024-04-28 16:09 In what aspects LMDE can be better for home use?
Sorry, guess I wasn't clear. What I'm suggesting is that LMDE probably has whatever features caused you to install Mint on your wife's computer. Then, having both of you on the same code base would simplify your job as system administrator. Switching both of you to LMDE would be an option, of course, but I assume you are running Debian because you prefer a desktop not supported by Mint.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, why on earth would I rack my brains with a distro derivative based on a Debian release that has not been declared stable and saddle me with possible update problems ?
You don't want Ubuntu in the game but you like the Cinnamon desktop environment?
Do what I have been doing since Buster and install Debian Bookworm with Cinnamon desktop without any problems... OOTB as simple as that :

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cu ... so-hybrid/

Code: Select all

phil@phil-gl753vd:~$ inxi -S
System:
  Host: phil-gl753vd Kernel: 6.1.0-20-amd64 arch: x86_64 bits: 64
    Desktop: Cinnamon v: 5.6.8 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)
phil@phil-gl753vd:~$ sudo apt update
[sudo] wachtwoord voor phil: 
Geraakt:1 https://deb.debian.org/debian bookworm InRelease
Geraakt:2 https://deb.debian.org/debian bookworm-updates InRelease
Geraakt:3 https://files.eid.belgium.be/debian bookworm InRelease
Geraakt:4 https://security.debian.org/debian-security bookworm-security InRelease
Pakketlijsten worden ingelezen... Klaar
Boom van vereisten wordt opgebouwd... Klaar
De statusinformatie wordt gelezen... Klaar 
Alle pakketten zijn up-to-date.
phil@phil-gl753vd:~$
ASUS GL753VD / X550LD / K54HR / X751LAB ( x2 )
Bookworm12.5_Cinnamon / Calamares Single Boot installations
Firefox ESR / DuckDuckGo / Thunderbird / LibreOffice / GIMP / eID Software

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cu ... so-hybrid/