Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] 528 packages held back. Cant build isos for testing. Not sure what to do.

- - ALL UNSTABLE / TESTING THREADS SHOULD BE POSTED HERE - -
This sub-forum is the dedicated area for the ongoing Unstable/Testing releases of Debian. Advanced, or Experienced User support only. Use the software, give, and take advice with caution.
jimb1963
User Project Contributor
User Project Contributor

[Solved] 528 packages held back. Cant build isos for testing. Not sure what to do.

#1 Post by jimb1963 »

Hi Hi
This post is more or less asking for advice. I create the SbK spins, that follow testing, that I release once a month. At present there are 528 packages being held back in testing. A few packages I might be able to fix, 528 is unlikely. Thats just for one of the 4 desktops I build, I havent checked 3 of them. Testing iso's wont build, getting a cron config error, likely because one of its dependencies is held back, but the logs dont give much info.
I can build unstable iso's. But releasing unstable iso's, that follow unstable, is something I am unsure of because of nature of unstable in the long term. Sid breaks things.
It is possible to build unstable iso's that would follow testing after building. But again I am not sure other than a long wait for updates what problems that could create long term.
The last option is to wait. But I have already been waiting 4 days. The window for me to get out a monthly release is going to close in a few days.

Any advice on what I should do, or the pitfalls of the options is appreciated

Jim

Edit: The cron issue is now gone. I will build what I can and not play games with unstable.

froggit9000

Re: [Solved] 528 packages held back. Cant build isos for testing. Not sure what to do.

#2 Post by froggit9000 »

I had a similar issue with 600+ packages held back.
apt full-upgrade fixed the problem - see here for more details:
viewtopic.php?t=158477

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [Solved] 528 packages held back. Cant build isos for testing. Not sure what to do.

#3 Post by wizard10000 »

Every instance of this issue I've seen has been resolved by doing a full-upgrade or dist-upgrade depending on whether you prefer apt or apt-get. I also had issues with aptitude during Sid's transition and a full-upgrade resolved them as well.

The issue is that apt/apt-get/aptitude upgrade doesn't remove packages, causing the new packages in the time_t64 migration to be held back. I would suggest simulating a full-upgrade first with "apt --dry-run full-upgrade", "apt-get -s dist-upgrade" or "aptitude -s full-upgrade" (aptitude is not installed by default).

If the simulation does what you need (and I believe it will) go ahead and run the command.

Hope this helps -
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin