Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Mate Desktop/ Marco cannot use themes with svg assets

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Baer

[Solved] Mate Desktop/ Marco cannot use themes with svg assets

#1 Post by Baer »

I'm having a weird situation: running Debian 12.5 with all updates. Marco, the Mate window manager, cannot use any metacity themes which use *.svg assets. Themes with *.png assets work just fine. Mate Desktop is 1.26.
To top it off, I have another machine running Linux Mint 21.3 (based on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS), also all updates installed. Mate Desktop is 1.26, too. But on that installation, Marco has no problems at all rendering metacity themes which use *.svg assets.
Is it possible that Marco has a soft dependency on some svg rendering lib which I may be missing on the Debian installation? And if so, what would be the name of that lib.

Thanks for any help guys!
Markus
Last edited by Baer on 2024-05-14 15:46, edited 1 time in total.

ruwolf

Re: Mate Desktop/ Marco cannot use themes with svg assets

#2 Post by ruwolf »

How is the inability to use SVG themes manifested?
Are there any related errors in journal (of systemd)?
You can see dependencies (by default with recommendations and suggestions) in e.g. this command:

Code: Select all

apt depends marco

Baer

#3 Post by Baer »

I did check dependencies using
apt depends marco
Nothing is missing. The theme in question shows up with a big question mark in apprearance preview. If I select it anyway, the current window decoration does not change. No errors logged. Also no errors shown when I launch "mate-appearance-properties" from a terminal.
On the next restart of the desktop it switches to what I believe is the "Dopple" theme.
Regarding the theme I am experimenting with, I have 2 versions, an older one with .png assets and a newer one with .svg assets. The older one runs just fine. To test if there might be a problem within the xml file of the newer one, I edited the newer version's xml by changing all ".svg" to ".png" and updating all assets accordingly. The newer theme then installs and renders fine.
I'd like to use the .svg version of the theme because my monitor is 4K and the min/max/close buttons look much better when rendered from svg.

fabien
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

#4 Post by fabien »

Baer wrote: 2024-05-09 20:30 I have another machine running Linux Mint 21.3 [...]. Mate Desktop is 1.26, too. But on that installation, Marco has no problems at all rendering metacity themes which use *.svg assets.
Is it possible that Marco has a soft dependency on some svg rendering lib which I may be missing on the Debian installation? And if so, what would be the name of that lib.
You could run apt list --installed "*svg*" on both systems to try to spot a difference.
ImageShare your Debian SCRIPTS
There will be neither barrier nor walls, neither official nor guard, there will be no more desert and the entire world will become a garden. — Anacharsis Cloots

Baer

#5 Post by Baer »

Unfortunately that comparison between Debian and Mint (Ubuntu) did not show anything different. On both distributions I have librsvg2-2, librsvg2-common and libqt5svg5 (unlikely to be used by any non-Qt software) installed.
I can spot a difference in the version numbers of marco itself. On Debian, the package version is 1.26.1-3+deb12u2. On Ubuntu, it shows up as 1.26.0-3ubuntu1. On Debian, there is no 1.26.0 to downgrade to. Debian oldstable is 1.24.1.
So it looks like Debian has a slightly newer version which seems to cause me problems.

Baer

#6 Post by Baer »

Finally found the problem, which is not at all marco. I decided to force Mate desktop to use a theme with svg assets by changing the dconf setting (org/mate/marco/general/theme) and it renders just fine!
The problem is with mate-appearance-properties! That thing seems to be so old and buggy, it does not allow to preview/install any but the most ancient metacity themes.
So the version in Debian is buggy. Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu with is based on Debian but Linux Mint does not use the Ubuntu build. They built their own version, probably because of the fact that Debian takes ages to update anything.

In the end, I simply copied mate-appearance-properties from the Mint installation to the Debian installation. The dependencies are the same and now everything works in Debian, too! Thanks to everyone who had really helpful suggestions on how to figure out dependencies.