Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SID - Unstable] apt-dist-upgrade removes LXQT??

- - ALL UNSTABLE / TESTING THREADS SHOULD BE POSTED HERE - -
This sub-forum is the dedicated area for the ongoing Unstable/Testing releases of Debian. Advanced, or Experienced User support only. Use the software, give, and take advice with caution.
este.el.paz

[SID - Unstable] apt-dist-upgrade removes LXQT??

#1 Post by este.el.paz »

So I read another thread about dist-upgrade removing "half the system" after I ran into a similar situation this morning . . . . I ran an apt dist-upgrade and it showed "11 packages to remove," that included a few "lxqt" named packages . . . .

I then checked 'aptitude dist-upgrade" and it showed "496 packages to remove" . . . and only 100+ to install . . . and a few dependency questions to answer. I didn't like those numbers, so I went back to apt and the "this one goes to 11" option. A little voice said, "Don't do it," . . . but the non-Angel voice said, "Dang those torpedoes" . . . so I ran it through.

I wanted to do a meal so I tried to click the "leave the session" button on upper right, and nothing happened. Tried a few times. Might have gone to TTY to reboot . . . back at the log in window, now top left nothing was showing in the "session" bar . . . could not log in. Shut the machine down from the SDDM buttons under the password line.

After breakfast I got back to the TTY and tried to "apt install lxqt" and that errored out, and so did "apt install xfce" . . . then I tried "apt install mate" and then apt said, "We are installing not mate, but 'mate-desktop-environment' . . . ." So I clicked "go" and a few minutes later I think I had to sudo reboot out of the TTY, couldn't find the keystrokes to get me back to the GUI . . . .

And typing this from the MATE session . . . I like MATE, but I have another system running MATE . . . wanted LXQT for mr Sid . . . . Anyway, this behavior is more like the "traditional" Sid modus operandi . . . cutting off nose to spite face and so forth . . . .

Any ideas about when apt will again regain common sense an self-preservation and/or how to revert to LXQT session?? oddly there was no default or openbox session that used to be installed along with ye olde LXDE session???