Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] USB Debian iso image will not boot but USB Knoppix image does

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
LoopBack

[Solved] USB Debian iso image will not boot but USB Knoppix image does

#1 Post by LoopBack »

Hello all.

I recently bought an HP Elitebook 745 G4 and want to put Debian on it. The SSD hard drive is empty.
I've put the debian-12.5.0-i386-DVD-1.iso image onto an HP memory stick (v150w 32GB) and have checked that the md5sum is good.
The laptop does not boot it but instead reports:-
BootDevice Not Found
Please install an operating system on your hard disk

However, I have another stick of the same model onto which I have put Knoppix 8.2
and it will boot that and work, just fine.

When I put the Debian stick into my other (Debian) laptop, I can mount it with the Dolphin file manager and peruse the contents of the image.
So it seems to be ok on the other hand.
What might I be doing wrong, using the wrong image perhaps?
Last edited by LoopBack on 2024-05-15 18:29, edited 1 time in total.

juribel

Re: USB Debian iso image will not boot but USB Knoppix image does

#2 Post by juribel »

Prepare your USB stick with Ventoy and simply copy your bootable ISO Image(s) on your stick. As many as there is space left on the stick. Then you boot from the stick and Ventoy lets you choose one of the copied ISO files.

With Ventoy, you can even preserve space on your stick for an ext4 partition and use it for backups or something else.

You can also have persistence: if you have a live system ISO, you can make changes on it or install software or whatever, and your settings will remain after the next boot from the stick.

I use a 2 TB USB SSD for my rsync backups from which I can boot into my customized Live install ISO via Ventoy with persistence. Works perfectly.

pbear

#3 Post by pbear »

LoopBack wrote: 2024-05-14 17:57 ... the wrong image perhaps?
Try the amd64 version. The i386 version is for 32-bit. And, yes, you want amd64 even if you have an Intel CPU.

LoopBack

#4 Post by LoopBack »

Thank you for your reply pbear.
Despite wondering if I had the wrong image, I would never have got there.
I haven't yet got the amd64 image {I only have PAYGO and don't know when I'll next have access to broadband};
but even so, I think that your suggestion is spot-on and so I will label this thread as SOLVED.
juribel, now that I've got two laptops needing different images, your recommendation sounds useful.

pbear

Re: [Solved] USB Debian iso image will not boot but USB Knoppix image does

#5 Post by pbear »

You're welcome. FWIW, you can purchase the ISO. Be aware, running Linux (or any OS) without good internet is difficult these days.