[Solved] Strawberry menus - KDE/Qt issue?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
scary-rob

[Solved] Strawberry menus - KDE/Qt issue?

#1 Post by scary-rob »

In the last few weeks, my menus on Strawberry music player have gone a bit screwy. They're now partially in English and partially in a Romance language that Google seems to think is Catalan.

For example, if I right click my Strawberry panel icon, the playback menu I get reads:
  • Peça anterior
    Reprodueix
    Stop
    Atura després d'aquesta peça
    Next track
    Mute
    Surt
Even the "About Strawberry" section under "Help" has a random mix of paragraphs in English and Catalan.

It's not affecting anything else, so presumably this is a Qt6 bug. Has anyone seen anything like this and have a fix/workaround?

I'm on Bookworm with KDE and not using any backports. Always an X11 session and the proprietary nvidia drivers.
Last edited by scary-rob on 2024-06-11 22:17, edited 1 time in total.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: Strawberry menus - KDE/Qt issue?

#2 Post by None1975 »

Hello.
I installed Strawberry from flatpak repo. Works flawlessly. So, question is how you install Strawberry music player?
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by sunrat »

I have the same question, how did you install Strawberry?
I just installed it from Debian repo to test and all menus are in English.

Try opening it in a terminal to see if any errors are shown. Check journalctl and ~/.xsession-errors.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

scary-rob

#4 Post by scary-rob »

It was from the Debian repos. I've tried deleting the config file and that seems to have solved the problem for now.

scary-rob

Re: [Solved] Strawberry menus - KDE/Qt issue?

#5 Post by scary-rob »

As an addendum, now that I can read the menus properly, it turns out that in Strawberry's settings "Catalan" is listed as the language option immediately under "use the system default". I can only assume I nudged it by accident. That it turned into a mixture of Catalan and English was probably something to do with how the menus respond to having a different localised (in the app) language to the system default. I'll experiment with this if I have time, but if this is something to do with how a Qt6 app is interacting with a Qt5 environment, I don't know if Strawberry's (or Qt6's) devs will consider it relevant if I make a bug report.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: [Solved] Strawberry menus - KDE/Qt issue?

#6 Post by None1975 »

scary-rob wrote: 2024-06-12 00:42 if this is something to do with how a Qt6 app is interacting with a Qt5 environment, I don't know if Strawberry's (or Qt6's) devs will consider it relevant if I make a bug report.
If you run Debian stable, then strawberry is build with qt5. The version found in the stable Debian package repository has nothing to do with qt6. If you find a bug in this app, please report it to Debian bug tracking system.

https://www.debian.org/Bugs/
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github