Scheduled Maintenance: Over the course of a few days we will be addressing issues with the search backend. General search, newposts, yourposts, and other search driven queries may fail during the update. Details and discussion here: viewtopic.php?t=159736

[Discussion] How about Debian installer recognises existing LUKS and LVM partition by default?

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
debber

[Discussion] How about Debian installer recognises existing LUKS and LVM partition by default?

#1 Post by debber »

I have been on Debian 11 and since it's security updates are nearing EOL, I upgraded to Debian 12 today. I wanted to reuse the existing LUKS and LVM partition, and so the installation took a long time. It failed too. I have since done a fresh install, and yet I face a problem booting. But I'll be posting that separately.

This post is just to understand the reasons why the default Debian installer (not the expert mode) doesn't recognise existing LUKS and LVM partition by default. I think distributions like Fedora make it easy to reuse existing LUKS and LVM. An option in the disk partitioning stage, that says "Reuse existing LUKS and LVM partitions" along with existing options, and the automatic handling of `/etc/target/crypttab` file would be excellent additions to the default Debian installer.

I searched the forum for any discussions on this, but couldn't find one. Had there been any, please direct me to them. Since I am new to this forum, I could have under used the search functionality.

Uptorn

Re: [Discussion] How about Debian installer recognises existing LUKS and LVM partition by default?

#2 Post by Uptorn »

For as long as I'd been using LUKS, I didn't know that this was a possibility with expert mode.

debber

Re: [Discussion] How about Debian installer recognises existing LUKS and LVM partition by default?

#3 Post by debber »

There are few guides on reusing it: one old discussion is in the Debian forum itself. But again, this topic was about making this easier in the default (non expert) Debian installer. Since many people are using LUKS now, adding the option in the installer to reuse existing LVM container would be a great value addition in my opinion.