Scheduled Maintenance: Over the course of a few days we will be addressing issues with the search backend. General search, newposts, yourposts, and other search driven queries may fail during the update. Details and discussion here: viewtopic.php?t=159736

[Best-Of] Threads for the week.

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
Best_Threads
Forum Account
Forum Account

2024-06-30

#41 Post by Best_Threads »

[Testing - Trixie] [SOLVED] Install seems fine, but AMD GPU RX 7800 XT graphic card firmware not included.
“So, with a lot of things going on and your help here, I finally got it.”

Verifying authenticity of Debian images
“For shasum i know how [...] Can someone give clear instructions for how to verify with key?”

GNOME TERMINAL output save to file
“redirecting text streams is fundamental to all unix shells [...] As for scrollback/screen buffers, those aren't part of the shell, they're a feature of the terminal”
Feel free to mention @Best_Threads if you see a topic that you think should be highlighted, or just send Best_Threads a PM with the URL

Best_Threads
Forum Account
Forum Account

2024-07-07

#42 Post by Best_Threads »

[HowTo] System backup with rsync
“I discovered there aren't many articles on the subject, especially the critical aspect of how to restore.”

[Solved] Blocking A Specific SSID
“I'm not sure I'd be using Network Manager if I wanted to lock a machine to a single SSID.”
Feel free to mention @Best_Threads if you see a topic that you think should be highlighted, or just send Best_Threads a PM with the URL

Best_Threads
Forum Account
Forum Account

2024-07-14

#43 Post by Best_Threads »

[Wanted] "Back In Time" is looking for translators in preparation for the upcoming release 1.5.0
“It would be great if you could help that project and offer translations or review some existing translations on our Weblate platform in your own language.”

[Solved] Unable to install LocalSend using dpkg, missing dependencies
“apt will try to automatically resolve and install missing dependencies from what is available in the repositories. Dpkg is a lower-level tool, it will install exactly what you tell it to”
(Thanks to @dilberts_left_nut for pointing this one out)

Network does not show without "nmcli dev wifi" first
“I tried to verify if starting nmtui-connect would trigger a WiFi network rescan in the NetworkManager running daemon [...] To do this, I used gdb (GNU Debugger) to activate a breakpoint in the NetworkManager function that is executed when a rescan is done.”

Best_Threads
Forum Account
Forum Account

2024-07-21

#44 Post by Best_Threads »

[HowTo] Command line basics for beginners
“Because command line interface is the most powerful and efficient tool on your computer. It is such a waste not knowing the basics. Furthermore, GUIs can fail.”
(Thanks to @donald for pointing this one out)

[Networking] Broadcom BCM432b Wireless LAN adapter only works AFTER sleep (MacBook Pro)
“I understand that going through long troubleshooting process is not something anyone wants, especially if they have a simpler workaround.”

[Software] Does the linux kernel update without rebooting?
“Oh, I see. I didn't know that about the uname -a command.”

[Software] I cant upgrade 12 to 12.6
“I think your system is up to date.”
(Thanks to @donald for pointing this one out)

[Off-Topic] Computer monitors: What criterias affects eye strain?
“ I tried the Eye care mode, and still had some issues. [...] It's just crazy, I tried to look at new OLED and QLED TV. It's very beautiful, but it takes about 15 seconds for the pain to start.”

[SID - Unstable] [SOLVED] Kernel update keeps failing. Boot partition is full because initrd.img is too large.
“Here's what I did in case anyone else runs into this issue”
(Thanks to @CwF for pointing this one out)