Scheduled Maintenance: Over the course of a few days we will be addressing issues with the search backend. General search, newposts, yourposts, and other search driven queries may fail during the update. Details and discussion here: viewtopic.php?t=159736

[Solved] Can't get Brother QL1110NWB Label Printer to function

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Rockcutter

[Solved] Can't get Brother QL1110NWB Label Printer to function

#1 Post by Rockcutter »

Hi,

I have the Brother QL1110NWB Label Printer and cannot get it to function on Linux. I am hoping someone here may be able to help get it working.

I am using Debian 12 on KDE. When I plug the printer into my system via USB, CUPS will detect the USB connection, but printing simply does not commence. It will always say IDLE and just stay there, despite changing the paper size to 4×6”.

I have tried the official CUPS wrapper from Brother's website, which I will link below. And I have also tried the ptouch-brother driver that I found in the Debian repo search that says it supports QL series, but I don't see my model in the driver list in CUPS anyway. So far, no luck with making it actually print labels.

https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloa ... 1110nwbeus
Last edited by Rockcutter on 2024-07-12 20:44, edited 1 time in total.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Can't get Brother QL1110NWB Label Printer to function

#2 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

The device seems to support AirPrint for connections (driverless).
AirPrint driver and CUPS driver compatibility

The QL1100 uses the CUPS driver for the USB connection. It is not AirPrint compatible.

The QL1110NWB uses the AirPrint driver for USB, wired, wireless, and Bluetooth connections on a Macintosh computer. A CUPS driver is not available. AirPrint is supported on iOS on Apple mobile devices.

Note The AirPrint driver is not the same as the AirPrint connection protocol that allows for driverless communication from an Apple device to a Brother machine. To use the AirPrint connection protocol, your machine must be connected using a Wired Network or Wireless Network connection. A Bluetooth connection is not supported in conjunction with the AirPrint connection protocol.
Click here to display all models covered by this answer.
Products

Quick Labeler
QL1100
QL1110NWB
https://help.brother-usa.com/app/answer ... patibility

The USB connection will not work with drivers from Brother.
Note that IPP-over-USB reserves the USB interface connection with the printer/scanner exclusively for itself and communication with a printer/scanner device by software that does not operate using the IPP-over-USB protocol becomes impossible while ipp-usb is running. This is a consequence of the design of USB communication. It is not a bug in ipp-usb.
https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDriverlessP ... _and_Setup

Debian does AirPrint (driverless) too, so you should try to set up a use the driverless connection via USB first.

It is possible to disable IPP-over-USB and use the Brother drivers with a USB connection, but use of drivers is now deprecated. If driverless works, use that. At some point CUPS will stop supporting drivers, so better to be future proof.

Edit: correction. A driverless printer queue is set up automatically when a driverless device is plugged in, so changed to use rather than set up.

Rockcutter

#3 Post by Rockcutter »

Hey, thanks for your response.

I agree with you that the driverless method is the way to go, and I would also prefer to be future-proof since I use this for work and don't want to go through this headache again.

The problem is that CUPS detects the printer via USB, but simply refuses to print despite setting the correct paper size in the settings. The printing status just hangs at “idle” and won't budge. I've tried everything to my knowledge and am not really sure how to address this further.

I suppose it's a good sign that it's detected, so I imagine it's possible to make it work, but how is the question? Something is preventing the print from happening.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

Rockcutter wrote: 2024-07-05 22:31 Hey, thanks for your response.

I agree with you that the driverless method is the way to go, and I would also prefer to be future-proof since I use this for work and don't want to go through this headache again.

The problem is that CUPS detects the printer via USB, but simply refuses to print despite setting the correct paper size in the settings. The printing status just hangs at “idle” and won't budge. I've tried everything to my knowledge and am not really sure how to address this further.

I suppose it's a good sign that it's detected, so I imagine it's possible to make it work, but how is the question? Something is preventing the print from happening.
Apologies for the hasty reading of your post, and the mis-advice (Is that a word? It is now!)

A driverless print queue is set up automatically when the device is plugged in, and you reported that it isn't working.

As the device is reporting itself as idle, I'm guessing the device can be seen on the network. Can you access the device's web interface as described here:

https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDriverlessP ... leshooting

Does anything look remiss?

Is the printer queue showing up?

Code: Select all

$ lpstat -l -e
Turn on CUPS debugging and post output after clearing the log and then trying to print:

$ cupsctl --debug-logging

# >/var/log/cups/error_log

# cat /var/log/cups/error_log
https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDebugging#T ... _Error_Log

(Turn off debugging when done - see link.)

Try setting up a printer queue manually as per the Wiki (in which the text has links to follow describing how to do this):
If cups-browsed is not on the system or it hasn't generated a print queue, not even after re-plugging the printer, a user has the option of creating a driverless print queue using the CUPS web interface, system-config-printer or lpadmin. But keep in mind that the IPP-over-USB printer is seen as a network device and be sure always to look under network printers with both of these setup solutions. Ignore the temptation to set up a local USB connection even though the device is on USB. Under the model/driver entries look for entries containing driverless or IPP Everywhere.
This should not be necessary, but there is always the possibility of a bug. Not saying that the following is what is causing your issue, but it would be worth investigating whether a manually installed queue also fails.

https://groups.google.com/g/linux.debia ... ZPeqQyaPR8

Rockcutter

#5 Post by Rockcutter »

That's okay, I'm just happy you're trying to help.

I followed everything in your instructions and everything checks out as it should minus the successful printing.

I linked you below to the error_log file as you requested. Hopefully it will tell us what's happening.

https://file.io/cNSafctxUv4w

Edit: I found an issue, but I'm not sure if it's the root cause of why the printing isn't working.

When I first followed the instructions you gave me, I was able to see the label printer under “network printers” when adding a new printer and when I had seen it, its name was “Unknown Device”. When I proceeded to set it up, it had the proper name of the printer instead of staying as “unknown device” and an IPP URL was given to it.

Now, when I went back to try again from scratch, it only shows under 'local printers'. I cannot get the printer to show under 'network printers' again.

IPP-USB is installed and running just fine according to the commands in the links you gave me, but for some reason the printer is not being discovered under 'network printers' anymore. I find it strange how it was only discoverable one time and listed as “unknown device” and now suddenly it's not discoverable. I tried to repeat the steps again many times, turning the printer on and off, rebooting Debian, reinstalling cups etc. Nothing is making it discoverable as far as I can see.

I'm confused.
Last edited by Rockcutter on 2024-07-10 00:58, edited 2 times in total.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

I have no understanding of CUPS logs, but it looks to me like it might be a connection issue. The printer is recognised and the job starts, but the connection fails.

D [09/Jul/2024:16:14:56 -0700] [Job 96] envp[21]="DEVICE_URI=ipp://Brother%20QL-1110NWB%20(USB)._ipp._tcp.local/"

D [09/Jul/2024:16:15:02 -0700] [Job 96] Set job-printer-state-message to "Rendering completed", current level=INFO

D [09/Jul/2024:16:14:56 -0700] [Job 96] Set job-printer-state-message to "Processing page 1...", current level=INFO

D [09/Jul/2024:16:15:02 -0700] [Job 96] Set job-printer-state-message to "Processing page 2...", current level=INFO

[09/Jul/2024:16:15:25 -0700] [Job 96] Get-Printer-Attributes: server-error-service-unavailable (Service Unavailable)
D [09/Jul/2024:16:15:25 -0700] [Job 96] Get-Printer-Attributes returned server-error-service-unavailable.
Things to try would be:

Try a different USB port. Some USB ports are connected differently internal. One connected directly to the motherboard would be ideal if applicable.

Check USB permissions as described here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/CUPS/Troubleshooting#Bad_permissions
Find the USB controller in

$ lspci
and see if it has any known issues with IPP-USB.

Try setting up the printer with

[code]http://localhost:631/
rather than a GUI.

Try printing from a different application if possible.

The device seems to be wireless enabled, so try connecting to the wireless network if possible and see if you get a different result.

Try a different computer and see if it works. OK I know hot everybody has access to more than one computer, but if the device works OK on a different computer, it would suggest USB connection issues on this one.

All of which I know is a massive pain in the butt for something that should just work.

Rockcutter

#7 Post by Rockcutter »

I switched to a direct Ethernet cable connection between the printer and the computer instead of using the USB cable. Now it successfully prints via driverless IPP, confirming the USB connection was the problem.

Issue solved. Thanks for your help!

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

Rockcutter wrote: 2024-07-11 20:45 I switched to a direct Ethernet cable connection between the printer and the computer instead of using the USB cable. Now it successfully prints via driverless IPP, confirming the USB connection was the problem.

Issue solved. Thanks for your help!
Good thinking! Ethernet would be the most problem-free/stable/reliable connection to use. Glad to hear you got it working. As this is possibly a bug in your USB connection, could you post the USB controller ID from the output of the following command?

$ lspci
If there isn't a bug report for IPP-USB with this hardware already, it would be helpful for other users of driverless printers with the same USB hardware if you could submit one, or if there is an existing bug report for this issue, mention that you are affected and supply hardware details.