Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Made debian sources for dolphin emulator

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
vbrummond

Made debian sources for dolphin emulator

#1 Post by vbrummond »

I made debian sources from scratch for Dolphin-Emu. I have made the sources available on my google drive if anyone wants a nice open source gamecube/wii emulator. I have tested and built it on Debian Sid AMD64. I have not tested wheezy, squeeze, or other arches. If the build deps are the same on squeeze, I have a feeling it might build and run correctly. The package is based on the old 'misc-speedups' branch, except I have applied a few patches manually to fix building with ffmpeg/libav and gcc-4.7. The old branch is because the modern dolphin emu is not only slow and buggy, it also requires a much newer version of wxwidgets that I am not willing to package and conflict with the wx 2.8 in Debian.

If you try please feel free to report problems to me. Here is the sources and info about dolphin-emu:

dolphinemu_3-1.debian.tar.gz: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4Co0SQ ... sp=sharing

dolphinemu_3-1.dsc: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4Co0SQ ... sp=sharing

dolphinemu_3.orig.tar.gz: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4Co0SQ ... sp=sharing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolphin_%28emulator%29

Q: Why have I not built binaries for you? A: I would certainly if I were running squeeze or wheezy. I am running sid and I have no idea if my packages are newer and would mess up the binaries compatibility. Also, I do not have virtualization extensions, so I am not able to make a sane 64-bit guest of squeeze or wheezy, and thus can only make i386 packages .

Q: How to build? A: Simple.

1. Download all three source files into an empty folder.
2. Install these packages: aptitude install fakeroot devscripts build-essential
3. Unpack the source using dpkg-source -x dolphinemu_3-1.dsc and then cd into the program source folder.
4. Run this command as normal user: nice debuild -us -uc it will complain about missing build dependencies. Please install these.
5. Run nice debuild -us -uc again. It will take 5-20mins to build depending on your hardware. Please report any errors with the deb package building.
6. After it is finished simply install the deb using gdebi (the gui) or dpkg -i

Q: I built it successfully but it does not have a menu entry! A: I have not yet included a .desktop file. The program can be started simply by running dolphin-emu from a run dialog, script, or terminal.

Q: It installs successfully but does not run! A: Run the command dolphin-emu from the terminal and see if there are any errors.

Q: What are the system requirements? A: You will at bare minimum need a cpu with sse2 support. Personally, I would say you need a multi-core cpu and gpu newer than 5 years old. I am using intel (core2 compatible with ssse3) t4400 dual core cpu @ 2.2ghz. My gpu is an intel integrated. I get 'ok' performance on 'some games'. Tales of symphonia and fire emblem work fine. More intensive games will require better hardware.

Enjoy!
Always on Debian Testing

andrewrogers

Re: Made debian sources for dolphin emulator

#2 Post by andrewrogers »

You should talk with some Debian devs and see if it can make into the repos. I love the Dolphin emulator. I can play SSB Brawl at full-speed at 1080p, while the Wii can only do 720p :D
#BOXES
Ivy Bridge 3570K + 32GB of RAM (INTEL 4000)
Core 2 Extreme (X9100!) Latitude E6400 + 8GB of RAM (Quadro NVS 160M)
Northwood P4 Latitude + 1.25GB of RAM (Radeon 7500)
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz!) + 1GB of RAM (Radeon 9200)
TiBook G4 + 1GB of RAM (Rad 9200)

vbrummond

#3 Post by vbrummond »

andrewrogers wrote:You should talk with some Debian devs and see if it can make into the repos.
At the moment it probably won't be possible. The newer dolphin-emu from git requires wxwidgets 2.9 to build, which is not in Debian as far as I know.

Also this is just my personal opinion, but I find the newer dolphin emulator to be worse than the older versions. The problem with building a package off the old branch is no security support or updates. To have the old branch build I had to patch it myself, mainly fixes for ffmpeg and gcc-4.7+. Though I am guessing for personal use it should be fine for the time being.
I love the Dolphin emulator. I can play SSB Brawl at full-speed at 1080p, while the Wii can only do 720p :D
Yes, its quite nice. My computer is old so I have to use minimal settings, but I get good framerates on most Gamecube games. And that means I have access to all the games I care about right on my laptop. :)
Always on Debian Testing

andrewrogers

#4 Post by andrewrogers »

I guess I'll have to build wxWidgets and Dolphin, then. It takes me less than five minutes to build the Linux kernel, so I should be good. :P
#BOXES
Ivy Bridge 3570K + 32GB of RAM (INTEL 4000)
Core 2 Extreme (X9100!) Latitude E6400 + 8GB of RAM (Quadro NVS 160M)
Northwood P4 Latitude + 1.25GB of RAM (Radeon 7500)
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz!) + 1GB of RAM (Radeon 9200)
TiBook G4 + 1GB of RAM (Rad 9200)

Randicus

#5 Post by Randicus »

vbrummond wrote:At the moment it probably won't be possible.
But it is nice that all of the work has resulted in something that works and does what you intended. Good job. :D

vbrummond

#6 Post by vbrummond »

Dolphin-emu has it's own internal source for wxwidgets. If it is not found locally it will compile it along with it, no need to compile your own. My point was it is against debian policy to build packages like that, so it wouldn't get accepted by the debian devs.
Always on Debian Testing

Randicus

#7 Post by Randicus »

I just wanted to congratulate you on succeeding with your project that requires a little knowledge and some amount of work.

vbrummond

#8 Post by vbrummond »

:D
Always on Debian Testing

stevo1977

#9 Post by stevo1977 »

I very much appreciate the time you took to post such simple directions! However, I had two issues when I tried to follow these. (FYI I am currently running crunchbang waldorf, which is built on Wheezy.)

1) "libbluetooth-dev" was listed as a dependency. It was not in the Wheezy repos, and neither the amd64 nor the i386 versions that I found online would install. I tried to build the .deb package without it.

2) I tried running the "nice debuild" command with and without sudo and both times it returned the same exit code 2 failure:

Code: Select all

make[3]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so', needed by `Binaries/dolphin-emu'. Stop.
Any idea what is causing the fatal error?

Thanks again!
stevo

vbrummond

#10 Post by vbrummond »

You know what, perhaps I need to fix the deps on opengl. I am not sure if 'libgl1-mesa-dev' is usable by all systems. I will look into packaging it better. I will try the build though on Wheezy to make sure it still works.

Update: Package builds for me. Not sure what is up.

Either way bluetooth is not essential to the build, it should safely continue if you request to build without it. http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/libbluetooth-dev
Always on Debian Testing

vbrummond

#11 Post by vbrummond »

I might just make a new .deb of the current stable version. Except for embedded wxwidgets, it works quite well. I originally maintained this old snapshot because the more modern releases were super slow on my laptop. Seems to be fixed now.
Always on Debian Testing

stevo1977

#12 Post by stevo1977 »

Thanks for the reply, vbrummond. Please let me (us) know if you do end up putting together a .deb for dolphin-emu. That would be awesome.

I am currently trying to compile it myself following the directions here: http://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/wiki/Linux_Build. I'll let you know how it goes. 50% so far with no errors...

EDIT: So I bet I had a corrupt link to "libGL.so". The 'make' process spit out the same error. I deleted the symbolic link and then recreated it. When I ran "make & make install" again it worked perfectly.

Cheers,
stevo

vbrummond

#13 Post by vbrummond »

I am glad you sorted it! :)
Always on Debian Testing

freddo63

#14 Post by freddo63 »

Hmm, very strange! nice debuild errors as following:

feelactthink@DCbian:~$ nice debuild
nice: debuild: No such file or directory
I know the output I have here is not from the proper directory, but I was in the dolphin/Source folder when I ran it originally and it gave the same result (I've deleted it for now as I'm cleaning out my drive). Strange thing is when I check man nice it shows up as an actual function, but it doesn't have the debuild option. Is there something I've forgotten or left out? Also, do you reckon you need a decent video card? I've got an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250.

/tmp

#15 Post by /tmp »

I'll see if I can get DJ Hero working on this :D
Bookworm | Intel I7-3667U | Apple Macbook Air 5,2 (Mid 2012) (Laptop) | 8 GB RAM | 3rd Gen Intel Core Graphics

ecolom1269

Re: Made debian sources for dolphin emulator - hero needed

#16 Post by ecolom1269 »

Hi, I have a 15 year old zelda loving daughter so I decided to be a hero and download
an emulator for gamecube. well turns out i need a another hero's help (you!) please help me
I am using debian 7 wheezy and was able to build my own code and dolphin starts up just fine.
however when i launch the image file i get...

GPU: OGL ERROR: need at least GLSL 1.3
GPU: Does your video card support OpenGL 3.0?
GPU: Your driver supports GLSL 1.2

Failed to compile vertex shader!
This usually happens when trying to use Dolphin with an outdated GPU or integrated GPU like the Intel GMA series.

If you're sure this is Dolphin's error anyway, post the contents of /home/ecolom/.dolphin-emu/Dump/bad_vs_0000.txt along with this error message at the forums.

Debug info (Tungsten Graphics, Inc, Mesa DRI Intel(R) G45/G43 , 2.1 Mesa 8.0.5):
0:1(10): error: GLSL 1.30 is not supported. Supported versions are: 1.00 ES, 1.10, and 1.20

Question can I force dolphin to downgrade somehow to GLSL 1.2?
or is this a bogus message ? maybe upgrade my openGL?

I tried:
upgrading the Intel Driver for my G45 but it had dependicies issues.

CONTENTS OF BAD_VS_0000.TXT:

#version 130

#define ATTRIN in
#define ATTROUT out
#define VARYIN centroid in
#define VARYOUT centroid out
#define float2 vec2
#define float3 vec3
#define float4 vec4
#define int2 ivec2
#define int3 ivec3
#define int4 ivec4
#define frac fract
#define lerp mix

VARYOUT vec2 uv0;
uniform sampler2D samp9;
uniform vec4 copy_position;
void main()
{
vec2 rawpos = vec2(gl_VertexID&1, gl_VertexID&2);
uv0 = mix(copy_position.xy, copy_position.zw, rawpos) / vec2(textureSize(samp9, 0));
gl_Position = vec4(rawpos*2.0-1.0, 0.0, 1.0);
}
0:1(10): error: GLSL 1.30 is not supported. Supported versions are: 1.00 ES, 1.10, and 1.20

Please help me be a hero to my teenage daughter :)
thanks!

vbrummond

#17 Post by vbrummond »

What version of dolphin are you using? Version 4.0 will *not* work with even some relatively modern intel gpu. You need opengl 3.0 support.

What opengl is supported? Try running:

glxinfo | grep -i 'OpenGL version string'
Always on Debian Testing

ecolom1269

Re: Made debian JESSIE sources for dolphin emulator(WHEEZY W

#18 Post by ecolom1269 »

Hi, Im Esteban, I built dolphin on Debian wheezy and it worked like a champ. Then I did a horrible sin, I installed debian Jessie, went thru rings of fires that burned my Arse bad for my eth0, gt 610 card, ethernet adapter amoung so many things that needed tweaking in Jessie.
I endured flames and got every piece of hardware working even my ps3 controler on sixaxis paired and all and then ...

[ 97%] Building CXX object Source/Core/DolphinWX/CMakeFiles/dolphin-emu.dir/GLInterface/GLX.cpp.o
[ 97%] Building CXX object Source/Core/DolphinWX/CMakeFiles/dolphin-emu.dir/GLInterface/X11_Util.cpp.o
[ 97%] Building CXX object Source/Core/DolphinWX/CMakeFiles/dolphin-emu.dir/X11Utils.cpp.o
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so', needed by `Binaries/dolphin-emu'. Stop.
make[1]: *** [Source/Core/DolphinWX/CMakeFiles/dolphin-emu.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

God Hates me :(

I don't mind researching on the net for answers, love it in fact...but i also like to save time for the future so i script all of the my adventures like building dolphin on jessie..;).. I agree that the widg applications is most likely causing conflicts.. i am going to try removing 2.8..should i?

anyhow here is my script to install dolphin..this is a large menu system I am building so I cut off a big chunk (top part) and just left the dolphin part. oh rufie is my guinea pig that was murdered by a punk racoon :( ...he is the personality of this program..he runs it all:)

Anyone know the answer to this? its that last 3 percent!I
builtt dolphin on amd64, Jessie (again wheezy worked great). I too had to update the wxWidgets to 3.0 to get this far. I am also concerned with having wid2.9 and on my system with 3.0.
I think i will try removing 2.9 should i or maybe remove 3.0 and update a fresh 2.9??
any ideas?

Help :)
97% of torturing flames up my arse :)

I have bash menu script i keep for involved task like building dolphin if anyone is interested in seeing it..
its part of larger maint program i wrote in bash/dialog for all my systems...

God bless Linux warriors!
Yea brave souls helping bring down the falling giant Microsoft@you-will-be-assimulated.COM :)

=============================script begins here if anyone interested=====================
ignore the ..configure for widgets..(i did this by hand still trying to get the script to execute correctly
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

$DIALOG --backtitle "GORUFIE Utility" \
--title "RESTORE ESTEBAN'S DELL INSPIRON COMPUTER" --clear \
--radiolist "Hi, RUFIE here, so ya did again huh dad? chose please.." 20 80 7 \
"DESKC1" "Restore Everything on this list" off \
"DESKC2" "Reinstall NVIDIA GT610 Graphics Video Driver" ON \
"DESKC3" "Restore Desktop Settings" off \
"DESKC4" "Recover Files such as music ect" off \
"DESKC5" "Set Nvidia sound card to default" off \
"DESKC8" "Install Dolphin Emulator" off 2> $tempfileDESK;;
esac

retval=$?
#echo "'$?'"
#echo "'$tempfile'"
DESKCHOICE=`cat $tempfileDESK`

case $DESKCHOICE in

DESKC1)
aplay cappuccino-squeak.wav

echo "HEY ITS DESKC1";;

DESKC2)

echo "HEY ITS DESKC2";;

DESKC8)
apt-get install dialog -y
DIALOG=${DIALOG=dialog}
#Dialog --dselect /home/getsumsr/usb160gb/gorufie

##misc software dolphin needs
apt-get install git -y
#rufie needs this to squeek
apt-get install mpg123 -y
########################################
#dolphin instalation
#dolphin dependencies first
apt-get install git -y
sudo apt-get install git -y
sudo apt-get install cmake -y
sudo apt-get install g++ -y
sudo apt-get install wx3.0-headers -y
sudo apt-get install libwxbase2.8-dev -y
sudo apt-get install libwxgtk2.8-dev -y
sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev -y
sudo apt-get install libxext-dev -y
sudo apt-get install libreadline-dev -y
sudo apt-get install nvidia-cg-toolkit -y
sudo apt-get install libbluetooth-dev -y
sudo apt-get install libxrandr-dev -y
sudo apt-get install libasound-dev -y
sudo apt-get install libpulse-dev -y
sudo apt-get install libao-dev -y
sudo apt-get install libopenal-dev -y
sudo apt-get install libavcodec-dev -y
sudo apt-get install libavformat-dev -y
sudo apt-get install libswscale-dev -y
sudo apt-get install libglew1.5-dev -y
sudo apt-get install liblzo2-dev -y
sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2-dev -y
sudo apt-get install libsoil-dev -y
sudo apt-get install libsfml-dev -y
##then widgits (not listed on their website but it needs it)
echo "here we go setting up widgets libs"

#remove incase this is a reinstall
rmdir -r /home/$USER/dolphin-emu/wxWidgets-3.0.0

## DOLPHIN CLONE STARTS HERE
#DOLPHIN HAS TO EXIST SO WE WILL CLONE IT NOW
aplay -q Imperial_March.wav &
#joke song for the kids learning linux

$DIALOG --msgbox "I ,the Rufe of all time, will start to clone dolphin now..kick back and have some joe, this make take some time...the clone wars starts now up in this mother!!" 30 30
# note: posix set to root so normal user can't run this
alias dir='cd "/'$USER'/dolphin-emu"'
dir
pwd

git clone https://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/ /home/$USER/dolphin-emu

#now that dolphin exists then put wxWidg in it
mkdir /home/$USER/dolphin-emu/wxWidgets-3.0.0
chmod 755 /home/$USER/dolphin-emu/wxWidgets-3.0.0 -R

####widgets installation continue later just copy for now###
cp -r /$USER/usb160gb/gorufie/dolphin-emu/wxWidgets-3.0.0/* /home/$USER/dolphin-emu/wxWidgets-3.0.0/ -v
##THIS PART REMARKED OUT..DOEN'ST WORK YET..HAVE TO DO BY HAND
#echo "compiling widgits for dolphin-emu"
#alias dir='cd "/home/'$USER'/gorufie/dolphin-emu/wxWidgets-3.0.0/Build"'
#dir
#pwd
#echo "Configuring wigits.."
#echo "do this in Build DIrectory"
#'../configure --enable-unicode CFLAGS="-fPIC" CXXFLAGS="-fPIC'

##################################
##Dolphin build

rm -rf /home/$USER/dolphin-emu/Build
mkdir /home/$USER/dolphin-emu/Build && cd /home/$USER/dolphin-emu/Build
alias dir='cd "/home/'$USER'/dolphin-emu/Build"'
dir
pwd
cmake ..
make && make install
##END DOLPHIN INSTALL
$DIALOG --msgbox "POPCORNING!!..WISH I WAS HUMAN SO I CAN PLAY DOLPHIN WITH YOU..ENJOY :-)" 30 70
esac

ecolom1269

#19 Post by ecolom1269 »

hi, I am running the latest versian on the website. i think 4.0 something on Jessie..4.0 ran great on same machine under wheezy strange enough.
I was able to get past the first error on this thread by installing the latest wxwidets.
but it crapped its pants at 97%%

I am thinkig about completely removing 3.0.
:(

Thank for responding

ecolom1269

#20 Post by ecolom1269 »

when i say 3.0 i mean widgets.
not dolphin... the website says 3.0 should be better but i think
2.8 worked better under wheezy at least but not in jessie.
I installed opengl supprt for the gt610 nvidia ..thanks :)\
but i think it has something to do with this libgl thing
is that opengl related?

make[2]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so', needed by `Binaries/dolphin-emu'. Stop.

thanks