install on ssd and hdd

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian
hermanc

install on ssd and hdd

#1 Post by hermanc »

I have an 64GB SSD drive and 2TB Sata HDD. Because the SSD is on the small size, do I put the full / on it or maybe split the filesystem and put some on the normal HDD? If so, which parts?
Wheezy will be the only installed OS, I already have separate partitions for very bulky items (video's and game development etc.)
Any advice and pointers welcome. Thanks.

bw123

Re: install on ssd and hdd

#2 Post by bw123 »

There are a lot of threads about partitioning schemes. Probably depends on whether you only want one user, or some kind of conglomerate system that can run a small country.

I like splitting / and /home on two different drives, with swap on the /home drive, but that's just me.

sounds like a good system, give some more specs?

hermanc

#3 Post by hermanc »

Single user only, already have /home on separate HDD.
My question is will an 64GB SSD be big enough to hold the full root partition?
Or is it better to have part of the / filesystem on a HDD to prevent the SSD filling up?
I haven't used SSD drives in the past.
Using Mint Debian presently (on hard drive only, solid state drive is new) but will install Debian 7.0 I got the 10 DVD set.
System: Intel Ivy Bridge dual core 3.4Ghz, 8GB DDR3, GeForce GTS 450 videocard with 1GB DDR5 memory, 4x 500GB HDD drives.
Thanks

brian.va

#4 Post by brian.va »

maybe put / all on the SSD, and mount the larger drive partition in /mnt and have a link to it in your home directory

dasein

#5 Post by dasein »

hermanc wrote:My question is will an 64GB SSD be big enough to hold the full root partition?
More than enough, unless you're insane.

For almost everyone, 20GB is plenty.

hermanc

#6 Post by hermanc »

Thanks to everyone for their replies.
Will install / and swap on the SSD, /home on separate hdd

emariz

#7 Post by emariz »

dasein wrote:
hermanc wrote:My question is will an 64GB SSD be big enough to hold the full root partition?
More than enough, unless you're insane.
For almost everyone, 20GB is plenty.
On this laptop, using Gnome, Libre Office, Gimp and all the multimedia support for a personal system, the whole system uses 1.5 GiB (out of 11 GiB given to the system partition.)

brian.va

#8 Post by brian.va »

should probably put swap on the hard drive, not the SSD

hermanc

#9 Post by hermanc »

Yep, will put swap on hdd, forgot about the read/write cycles swap needs.
Thanks.

dasein

#10 Post by dasein »

Depending on your RAM specs and usage, you may be able to forget about swap entirely. I haven't used swap in years, and I haven't missed it.

Inspired by emariz, I should note that my moderately loaded Debian system (including multiple office suites, media players galore, specialty software such as R, etc.) uses 11.6GB out of 20 allocated. I've played with a lot of partitioning schemes and multiple distros in my life; all of them used a 20GB root partition, and only once did I run into space issues.

emariz

#11 Post by emariz »

dasein wrote:Depending on your RAM specs and usage, you may be able to forget about swap entirely. I haven't used swap in years, and I haven't missed it.
That is because your system does not hibernate.
dasein wrote:Inspired by emariz, I should note that my moderately loaded Debian system (including multiple office suites, media players galore, specialty software such as R, etc.) uses 11.6GB out of 20 allocated.
Well, the Phoronix crowd always think that higher is better.
Even when installing recommendations automatically, I do not remember using a system whose system partition took more than 2,5 GiB (about 1,200 packages.)

ant

#12 Post by ant »

Is it really a good idea to put swap on SSD to wear it out faster?

brian.va

#13 Post by brian.va »

I have one in my laptop and swap is on, no issues thus far. it has been about a year and a half, for what it is worth.

vbrummond

#14 Post by vbrummond »

Newer generation ssds do not wear out that quickly. I would have no problem with having a swap partition on an ssd drive. Just check the rated life on the drive perhaps?
Always on Debian Testing

ant

#15 Post by ant »

vbrummond wrote:Newer generation ssds do not wear out that quickly. I would have no problem with having a swap partition on an ssd drive. Just check the rated life on the drive perhaps?
My Corsair Force Series F115 SSD (CSSD-F115GB2-BRKT-A) is a couple years old.

sunrat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#16 Post by sunrat »

I hope you don't plan to install the whole 10 DVD set, then we could be sure you are insane. You only need the 1st DVD and maybe install occasional packages from the others. And even then it is much easier to install them online from Debian repositories.
We had a user here not long ago who wanted to install ALL THE PACKAGES - it wasn't long before his installation totally destroyed itself and he hasn't been heard from since.
My system which was installed about 18 months ago currently uses about 5 GB.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!