Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can't access System Settings - wheezy

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Link512

Can't access System Settings - wheezy

#1 Post by Link512 »

Every time i click 'System Settings', it says that it is Starting, but nothing else happens after that. I can access 'Advanced Settings', but not 'System settings'. Any ideas?

stanb42

Re: Can't access System Settings - wheezy

#2 Post by stanb42 »

Same problem here. Just updated one of my three systems to Wheezy. I'm having other nagging problems as well which will keep me from updating the others until I fully understand the fixes.

Tux9656

#3 Post by Tux9656 »

Start synaptic and make sure the 'systemsettings' pacakge is installed.

stanb42

#4 Post by stanb42 »

Tux9656 wrote:Start synaptic and make sure the 'systemsettings' pacakge is installed.
apt-get install systemsettings indicates that KDE will be installed.... Is that right?

Link512

#5 Post by Link512 »

Found out what the issue was. Apparently it was related to my ATI Video card. what did it for me was apt-get install firmware-linux-nonfree . After that it was all ok.

stanb42

#6 Post by stanb42 »

I haven't tried that yet, however my troubleshooting is pointing to the video system (driver) as well. In looking at another problem, I logged in remotely and was able to access the System Settings just fine. So I suspect I have a similar problem as well.

stanb42

#7 Post by stanb42 »

Well my luck was not as good as yours. Installed the nonfree package and still nothing.

I did (after some more internet searches) try this: Opened a terminal window and ran gnome-control-center and it produced a Segmentation Fault. No other data, dumps or error code. So far, I haven't found any solution. I am running the nouveau drivers on old hardware, but the hw been working faithfully since Sarge.....

I'm running without an xorg.conf file, letting the system configure on the fly. Is there something I can try with the config file?

yzT

#8 Post by yzT »

I got this problem every time some graphic packages are updated. But after reboot it's fine.

Sent through Tapatalk

stanb42

#9 Post by stanb42 »

yzT wrote:I got this problem every time some graphic packages are updated. But after reboot it's fine.
Needless to say, from my Windows "training", I've rebooted multiple times with no change.

I have, in the meantime, created an xorg.conf file that provides a very nice looking screen (the main reason I needed to get into System Settings), however I still can't get there.

stanb42

#10 Post by stanb42 »

Still having problems. More now an aggravation that because of my OCD I can't let go. Any ideas?

malayo

#11 Post by malayo »

on my thinkpad T43, I also cannot launch system settings

it looks as if it is loading but then suddenly failed silently

how do I launch it from terminal so I can look at its details during failure?

mor

#12 Post by mor »

stanb42 wrote:Opened a terminal window and ran gnome-control-center and it produced a Segmentation Fault.
You should probably post the output of this.

Anyway, about a week ago I encountered this problem (not the segfault though) and it was most likely related to this bug, but I'm in testing (Jessie) and I just pulled these packages from unstable to remedy:

Code: Select all

[UPGRADE] libjavascriptcoregtk-3.0-0:amd64 1.8.1-3.4 -> 1.8.1-4
[UPGRADE] libwebkitgtk-3.0-0:amd64 1.8.1-3.4 -> 1.8.1-4
I don't know if in stable this is the case as well, although I can see that right now the version of said packages is the same as in testing.
Pulling packages from unstable is not the best practice for stable though, there is a workaround that you can use instead, read here:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=140131

Of course, only if your problem is the same. ;)

malayo

#13 Post by malayo »

since a few settings application does not launch on wheezy despite it being a stable version, i purged gnome and gdm, installed lightdm and mate instead.

all fine so far with gnome3-like DE.

paladin.michael

#14 Post by paladin.michael »

I realize this is an old thread, please excuse me for posting a reply to it, however if someone searches for this problem and gets here, one possible cause that I found on my system is multiple instances of systemsettings already running. running killall systemsettings then trying again will allow it to load properly

...of course rebooting would also work in this case.

rakoviny

#15 Post by rakoviny »

had to install it back from synaptic on bookworm. seems like it doesn't matter how 'stable' the version is, this bug always comes back to haunt us.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#16 Post by sunrat »

rakoviny wrote: 2022-10-06 03:19 had to install it back from synaptic on bookworm. seems like it doesn't matter how 'stable' the version is, this bug always comes back to haunt us.
Bookworm is not a "stable" version, it is a development release and breakages are expected. Those who use development versions are supposed to submit bug reports for any issues.
Also it's very unlikely to be the same bug from nine years ago.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

stevepusser

#17 Post by stevepusser »

Yeah, but zombie threads are expected this time of year!
MX Linux packager and developer