Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

SimpleScreenRecorder deb package

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
kaddy

SimpleScreenRecorder deb package

#1 Post by kaddy »

Hello fellow Debian users...

I noticed that the screencast tool "simplescreenrecorder" is not available in any repos (that I have seen) and I can not find a deb for this tool anywhere besides
on Ubuntu via PPA. I decided to gather the source and compile a .deb package specifically for Wheezy. I used checkinstall therefore it does not adhere to strict packaging standards in the Debian developers eyes therefore I can not submit it to be included in any official repos but is fine to install for personal use.

Read the README for a full explanation of what I have done to package this for Wheezy.

note (I have only thoroughly tested in wheezy, I can not confirm if it will install without intervention on a non wheezy system)

here is a link to the package etc zipped into a tar.gz

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/grwkm9n175uxwaw/cfGXf326IS

enjoy!

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: SimpleScreenRecorder deb package

#2 Post by sunrat »

Thank you for your efforts and I know there is a 99% chance you are genuine. However there is a 1% chance you are a l33t hax0r trying to set up a botnet. Please make your package compatible with Debian guidelines and submit it through the proper channels.
Debian has recordmydesktop in the repos. Is something about your program better than that?

Sorry if you are genuine but a little scepticism is necessary and it pays to be careful.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

kaddy

#3 Post by kaddy »

sunrat wrote:Thank you for your efforts and I know there is a 99% chance you are genuine. However there is a 1% chance you are a l33t hax0r trying to set up a botnet. Please make your package compatible with Debian guidelines and submit it through the proper channels.
Debian has recordmydesktop in the repos. Is something about your program better than that?

Sorry if you are genuine but a little scepticism is necessary and it pays to be careful.

G'day

Yeah that is understandable... I guess to those wanting ssr, use this package at your own risk!
I am currently in the process of learning how to configure and build official debs as required by how the devs want it done... it's a bit tedious at the moment and will require many more hours of my time to learn how to do properly... checkinstall is just an easy method to build debs for personal use... but I will get there...

recordmydesktop seems to be quite flakey (atleast for me) some versions work well, some don't, it seems to be quite buggy from my experience where as ssr has worked flawlessly for myself and many others... which is why I decided to package this since it is not available on Debian (from what I can see)

Anyways... for those that are reading... sunrat is right... although I have a "tiny" bit more credibility since you can find me here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQnoGQG9 ... zMCBD1Ei7w

where I announced and demonstrated installing the package and have been making Linux videos on this channel for a number of years but still...BEWARE ;)

cheers

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Also wheezy users can try backporting vokoscreen from upstream Debian--maybe do a comparison between the two new screen recorders?
MX Linux packager and developer

gfurst

#5 Post by gfurst »

Hey there, thanks for the effort, I can vouch too, as a Jessie and KDE user, record my desktop doesn't always work, seems sluggish and lacks options for more professional use.
Just to resolve the misunderstanding, the user kaddy isn't the actual developer of the application, he is just trying to make it available in .deb package.

gfurst

#6 Post by gfurst »

Hey there, just an quick update kaddy,
HI used this worked alright, how can I do this for myself on the ssr source? creating a deb package?
To my surprise I was able to use the developer's ppa, which apparently, is now supported on debian :o
Anyways, haven't tried yet but it seems that the build script depends on some packages not available to us.
I'm just asking so I can get the more recent version myself and for others who might wander too.

vbrummond

#7 Post by vbrummond »

Vbrummond's opinion time:
1) Recordmydesktop is terrible compared to simplescreenrecorder. No x264 support, no gl inject. Also external patches are used just to make RMD work, I used to maintain a working version of it for openSUSE back when it used it.
2) Checkinstall is an absolutely useless waste of time. It is barely harder just to make a REAL deb with dh_make and a lot less buggy.
Always on Debian Testing

gfurst

#8 Post by gfurst »

Hey just checking, are you and this guy the same? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQnoGQG9Tbc
Plus, will you be making a more recent version, I've tried building it up from source files:

Code: Select all

guiu@guiu-desktop:~/Downloads/ssr-master$ ./simple-build-and-install 
Detecting x86/x64 ...
x86/x64 = --enable-x86-asm
Detecting ffmpeg/libav ...
Error: libavcodec development package not found, make sure ffmpeg or libav development packages are installed.
Complains about libavcodec even though I do have this package. (libavcodec-dev)

gfurst

#9 Post by gfurst »

Actually, I may have found the issue here. Installed your packaged version again and found out, it complains about missing libavformat 53
What happens is that my version is 55 and since its recent install, I none of the previous ones. help?

vbrummond

#10 Post by vbrummond »

I might build a simple deb for SSR but it might not be tonight.
Always on Debian Testing

gfurst

#11 Post by gfurst »

vbrummond wrote:I might build a simple deb for SSR but it might not be tonight.
Thanks vbrummond, as you said, SSR is vastly superior choice, I'm looking forward to it on my new PC

stevepusser

#12 Post by stevepusser »

I recommend using the getdeb.net sources for the new version, as they follow Debian policy per lib creation, naming, and so on, more than the PPA version. I also adapted them for the MEPIS CR here, built against the newest libav in wheezy-backports. :

http://main.mepis-deb.org/mepiscr/testr ... nrecorder/

If you want have your smiling mug on the screen during recording, just use guvcview or vlc to put your webcam onscreen.

It is the best screen recorder out there at the moment, based on my limited tests.

vbrummond

#13 Post by vbrummond »

My simple deb package and sources are here. I am terrible at building debs so far (trying to get practice) as for years I only have created rpms. The deb is only built for testing/amd64. I am not going to worry about making stable chroots and the whatnot for now. It does not support jack (I hate jack) or the glinject. Feel free to modify the deb or anyone reviewing can tell me how to improve it. It is slightly not Debian standards as I do not have a separate package for the simplescreenrecorder lib. It installs to the normal /usr/ tree, in the future I am going to make my deb packages install to /usr/local (similar to freebsd ports).

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
Always on Debian Testing

gfurst

#14 Post by gfurst »

Ok thanks both of you, I've spent a few hours trying to get SSR working in a variety of ways:
stevepusser, your package do install without problems, but running is the same asprevious, complains about libavformat53.so, doesn't start.
So as recomendation I've tried also from the getdeb source, it requires libavformat54 which isn't also in testing, so I manually grabed libavformat54 and respective from the debian and installed, it still wouldn't configure some version conflict with libpulse0, which I can't replace.
Finally I gave vbrummond version a chance, and it finally does work properly, Glinject too, used the lib from one with binaries from other. Apparently works, just tested with few minutos in xonotic and got ~45 fps, with reduced screen size and high effects. Got ~30 with 1920x1080.
I'do suppose thats ok since xonotic is high on demand and gameplay was still smooth

stevepusser

#15 Post by stevepusser »

What package it will need for the libav* packages will depend on what libav*-dev versions it was built against. The Ubuntu packages were built against the newer libav in Ubuntu, and I did mention that mine were built against the newer libav packages in wheezy-backports.

If a Wheezy user want to use my MEPIS packages, theyll have to enable the wheezy-backports repository . The SSR packages depend on:

libasound2
|Depends: libavcodec55 or libavcodec-extra-55
Depends: libavformat55
Depends: libavutil53
Depends: libc6
Depends: libgcc1
|Depends: libjack-jackd2-0 or: <libjack-0.116>
libjack-jackd2-0
libjack0
Depends: libpulse0
Depends: libqtcore4
Depends: libqtgui4
Depends: libstdc++6
Depends: libswscale2
Depends: libx11-6
Depends: libxext6
Depends: libxfixes3
Depends: libxi6
Recommends: libssr-glinject

I would not use dpkg to install debs like these these. Use gedebi instead. It would have refused to install the package without the correct libavcodec55, etc., and pulled in the correct dependencies if they were available.

gfurst

#16 Post by gfurst »

stevepusser wrote:What package it will need for the libav* packages will depend on what libav*-dev versions it was built against. The Ubuntu packages were built against the newer libav in Ubuntu, and I did mention that mine were built against the newer libav packages in wheezy-backports.
Hey stevepusser, what I tried to say is that your version doesn't require libav 53 packages but complained about not finding libav*53 libraries, thus not starting.
I've managed to get it working with vbrummond's version, but still used your libglinject package.
So gratitude goes for both of you (^,^)b

I did some testings playing Xonotic with 1080p on almost ultra graphics, edited then to a smaller size with handbrake and uploaded to youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtgTZ6PwDs8 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lL8uMAGKpU
First is regular full-screen recording, I was able to get from 50fps to 120fps averaging very high performance, the second is with glinject method, averaging 50fps and lower, very crispy and fast, no noticeable gameplay lags.
I'm on AMD Fx6300, six core 3.5GHz, so there is spare processing power anyway.
There is a issue with audio, skips from time to time, not during gameplay, I suspect this is due to my audio setup being 48kHz but recorded in 44,1kHz, shouldn't SSR record the same sample rate as source? (there isn't a obvious option for this)
Cheers

stevepusser

#17 Post by stevepusser »

I can pick apart my debs using Ark, there's a "control" file in every deb that lists dependencies. For the 32 & 64 bit debs:

libasound2 (>= 1.0.16),
libavcodec55 (>= 6:10~beta1~) | libavcodec-extra-55 (>= 6:10.1),
libavformat55 (>= 6:10~beta1~),
libavutil53 (>= 6:10~beta1~),
libc6 (>= 2.9),
libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1),
libjack-jackd2-0 (>= 1.9.5~dfsg-14) | libjack-0.116,
libpulse0 (>= 0.99.1),
libqtcore4 (>= 4:4.8.0),
libqtgui4 (>= 4:4.6.1),
libstdc++6 (>= 4.7),
libswscale2 (>= 6:10~beta1~),
libx11-6 (>= 2:1.2.99.901),
libxext6,
libxfixes3,
libxi6 (>= 2:1.2.99.4)

Possibly libavutil53 is causing some confusion. It's better to go by the overall libav version in backports, which is 10.1 (ignoring the "6:" epoch that Debian stuck on front of the version in a version race with deb-multimedia)

vbrummond

#18 Post by vbrummond »

I get the audio skips, it is perfectly apparent if I try to avoid it by using sched_fifo, which makes it worse. I don't know if this is an issue with pulseaudio, or my underlying alsa drivers, but I am not able to solve it. I might try running pulseaudio verbose in a terminal to see what it has to say about the issue.
Always on Debian Testing

gfurst

#19 Post by gfurst »

vbrummond wrote:I get the audio skips, it is perfectly apparent if I try to avoid it by using sched_fifo, which makes it worse. I don't know if this is an issue with pulseaudio, or my underlying alsa drivers, but I am not able to solve it. I might try running pulseaudio verbose in a terminal to see what it has to say about the issue.
You mean the audio skips only on the recording file right? Isn't it a sample rate difference?

vbrummond

#20 Post by vbrummond »

What I am trying to say get xruns (skips pops and crackling) while recording and I can't explain why. I have plenty of spare cpu time. Using static priorities makes the problem apparent. I can't pin down if the problem is in pulseaudio, alsa, or even libav.

I should note recording works more often than not, something like 90% of the time it is fine, unless I use real time priorities.
Always on Debian Testing