Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Weird problem with persistent live usb installation.

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
spirosbomberkl

Weird problem with persistent live usb installation.

#1 Post by spirosbomberkl »

I have debian 8 on a usb drive using this guide. I used a debian 8.2 64-bit image with mate. It mostly works fine, but at some random moments something happens and the system stops working for the most parts. For example if I am in a terminal when it happens it stops being able to find most commands, like if they are not installed. If I open another terminal, or many other windows, the characters are replaced by boxes. Sudo seems to stop working as well. This has happened a few times. I have been able to fix it each time by plugging the usb drive into another linux system(often a livecd at the same computer) and running fsck on both partitions. After this the problem is solved and everything works normally again, until it happens again and I have to do the same thing.

I am looking for a more permanent solution that stops the problem from happening in the first place.

kiyop
Location: Where persons without desire to improve themselves fear to tread, in Japan

Re: Weird problem with persistent live usb installation.

#2 Post by kiyop »

I wonder if the partitions in the usb, especially that for persistence have/has bad sector(s).
How about check file system by fsck or so with -c -c option?

Code: Select all

fsck -f -y -c -c /dev/sdXY
Refer

Code: Select all

man fsck
Openbox, JWM: Jessie, Sid, Arch / Win XP (on VirtualBox), 10
http://kiyoandkei.bbs.fc2.com/

pendrachken

#3 Post by pendrachken »

Also have you ruled out USB hardware failure / kernel support?

Sounds to me like the USB bus is somehow getting interrupted during a write operation and corrupting the FS.

I would look at the disk itself as Kiyop said, as well as the machine hardware first. maybe try a live disk with an updated kernel from backports to see if it is a USB kernel driver issue.
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P

Timoj

#4 Post by Timoj »

Hi, i face the same issue in Debian 11. persistent live. In 7 out of 10 commands the result is 'command not found'.
I also noticed in the file system that many programs are not installed, such as synclient, synaptics and libinput.
I' m trying to configure touchpad settings to activate tap to click. Is this because the commands cannot executed in live systems? On the other hand in many other distros the command line is working perfectly even in a live cd/dvd.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by sunrat »

@Timoj This topic is seven years old and about an ancient version of Debian. Please start a new topic. You will need to post more details about your system and the commands you are trying to run.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Timoj

#6 Post by Timoj »

i will do so in the near future as at the moment am trying to install the system in usb before the install in the HDD,
Thank you