Dpkg error can't solve

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
theblueplll

Dpkg error can't solve

#1 Post by theblueplll »

Machine is an older machine I was trying to setup for a project running Debian Buster 32bit
AMD Semperon 3000+ 1.5gb ram no desktop(don't need one for what I want to do)

Seems to run great untill I try to install a package.
I don't have anything from any repo besides Debians official repos on purpose.

I keep getting this when I try to install things.

Partitions are setup like this

Code: Select all

60gb hd
/boot
/root
and /swap

other drive is 40gb where my /home partition is

dpkg-deb: error: <decompress> subprocess returned error exit status 2

dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives[package name here].deb (--unpack):

dpkg=deb --fsys-tarfile subprocess returned error exit status 2

Errors were encountered while prrocessing:

/var/cache/apt/[package name here].deb

Error Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned error code (1)
Doesn't seem to matter what it is although some packages will install without error.

Have tried the instructions at this link and a few similar things to no avail

https://itsfoss.com/dpkg-returned-an-error-code-1/
I also can NOT remove the package once this happens when I try to I get unment dependency warnings.
And if I try to install the dependencies it starts with the dpkg errors all over again.

This started when I had Buster installed on it originally so I switched to Stretch thinking the older hardware would work better but had the same problem.
So i reinstalled Buster again and some stuff was whacky so I looked into it and found out either my iso was corrupted or my flash drive was acting funny.
So I tried with a new usb stick and a fresh download that I verified and check for integrity and it seemed to install a lot faster and smoother.

2 days go by and the problem comes back.
Could this be a hardware problem somehow? Maybe a bad hdd?
Both drives are kind of old.

Any other information that could be needed please just ask and I will do my best to share it.

GarryRicketson

Re: Dpkg error can't solve

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

Please show how you are running 'dpkg' ? IE:normal user, sudo, su, su - ,....etc
You show the output from when you run the command, but please show everything, including how you run the command.
For example:

garry@debian:~$ dpkg conky-all_1.10.8-1+b1_amd64.deb
dpkg: error: need an action option

Type dpkg --help for help about installing and deinstalling packages [*];
Use 'apt' or 'aptitude' for user-friendly package management;
Type dpkg -Dhelp for a list of dpkg debug flag values;
Type dpkg --force-help for a list of forcing options;
Type dpkg-deb --help for help about manipulating *.deb files;

Options marked [*] produce a lot of output - pipe it through 'less' or 'more' ! 
Doesn't seem to matter what it is although some packages will install without error.
Don't you think that the actual package name, and perhaps where you got it might be relevant ? Especially since "some packages" will install with out error. Maybe the mystery package is not packaged properly.
Could be, if you suspect that it is, then the logical thing to do is to use a live device , with some drive testing tools, and test it. I can not do that for you, since I am not there, and can not access your, you need to do that your self, or take it to someone that can do it for you.
===== also===
You claim you are only using Debian repos, is there some reason you don't just use :
?

theblueplll

#3 Post by theblueplll »

Don't you think that the actual package name, and perhaps where you got it might be relevant ? Especially since "some packages" will install with out error. Maybe the mystery package is not packaged properly.
Could be, if you suspect that it is, then the logical thing to do is to use a live device , with some drive testing tools, and test it. I can not do that for you, since I am not there, and can not access your, you need to do that your self, or take it to someone that can do it for you.
===== also===
You claim you are only using Debian repos, is there some reason you don't just use :
apt install XXX is how I install things what I meant was that only the official repos are in my sources.list sorry if that was confusing or not clear enough.
Doesn't seem to make a difference if I log my normal user and use sudo or sudo su or if I log the root account when this is happening.

It will get part of the way into installing and gie me the dpkg error.
If I try to uninstall it I get the unmet dependency error and if I try to install dependencies I get the dpkg error all over again.

For instance this is happening with android sdk which I wanted for the adb tools.
But like I said didn't seem to matter what package it would randomly decide to do this to me.

As far as testing the dries from a live cd that is no problem i know how to do it for the most part LoL
Is there some tool besides maybe fsck that you would reccomend to use?

Sorry if I am not being clear enough it is not intentional.

Deb-fan

#4 Post by Deb-fan »

Automagically resolving/installing dependencies is what apt/itude are for and don't need a Desktop/WM to use them. Have had great success in downloading packages and their depends .deb(s) into a directory, cd = change directory or opening a terminal in the folder and installing the things with "dpkg -i *.deb" but this is what's refered to as "dependency hell".

ie: I don't have net access have to go to Mcdonald's, download all xyz package, then it's depends and any of their depends onto a dang phone. Take em home, transfer to pc and install em all. Noooooooo ! Though dpkg does a great job of installing these packages in order and successful in my experience. Having a real hard time trying to figure what you're doing and why. Some possible helpful commands related to this though and/or could make your situation even worse, depending. < PUN INTENDED. :D

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -a

sudo apt-get -f install
Did you "sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get upgrade" the effected Debian install. Man am out of comments on this deal.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

theblueplll

#5 Post by theblueplll »

I am starting to wonder about the master drive in that machine actually.

I got the error fixed today finally

apt -f install or was it install -f
worked. Although I tried that 2 nights ago more than once and it didn't help.

But this keeps happening like every other day and today when i got home and turn it on and it was fine then all of a sudden it reboots itself and tries to tell me the OS is missing Oh boy.

So either someone is playing games(if so why did they go after the machine with nothing on it and not this one LoL) or somethings wrong with the machine itself.

I'll have to run some tests on it I guess.

Thank you for the replies I really do appreciate people at trying to help.

Deb-fan

#6 Post by Deb-fan »

Is it possible to partition and add a fresh os install. See if the oddities continue. Sounds really frustrating.

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

theblueplll wrote:Could this be a hardware problem somehow? Maybe a bad hdd?
^ This.
deadbang

theblueplll

#8 Post by theblueplll »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
theblueplll wrote:Could this be a hardware problem somehow? Maybe a bad hdd?
^ This.
Has to be some sort of hardware problem since 3 different fresh installs with 2 different ISO's and this keeps happening.

GarryRicketson

#9 Post by GarryRicketson »

If the hardware is suspected, that should be the first thing to check
Deb-fan wrote:Is it possible to partition and add a fresh os install. See if the oddities continue. Sounds really frustrating.
What would the point be in doing a fresh install on bad hardware ?

Deb-fan

#10 Post by Deb-fan »

Hadn't read closely enough to see he'd already been there, done it. Was thinking could rule out software/os issue perhaps. My bad, sorry if it's in fact hardware bluepill, that stinks.

theblueplll

#11 Post by theblueplll »

GarryRicketson wrote:If the hardware is suspected, that should be the first thing to check
Deb-fan wrote:Is it possible to partition and add a fresh os install. See if the oddities continue. Sounds really frustrating.
What would the point be in doing a fresh install on bad hardware ?
I SHOULD HAVE thought things through before I even started so I wouldn't have had to post this.
I'm suspicous of the ATA cable that is in there since one of them broke the end off awful easily while removing it from the drive.

So I ordered some (need a couple for another "project machine" also).

I plan to switch out the cables and run a bunch of tests on the HDD and then go from there.

If the drive is toast not a big deal I have quite a few hanging around from parts I have collected over the years.

Thanks to all for trying to help.