Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Debian testing has no security???

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
CWW

[SOLVED] Debian testing has no security???

#1 Post by CWW »

Hi,

I wish to upgrade my system to Debian Testing, but when I did more research, I found this:
Please note that security updates for testing distribution are not yet managed by the security team. Hence, testing does not get security updates in a timely manner. You are encouraged to switch your sources.list entries from testing to bullseye for the time being if you need security support.
So, I wonder if I can upgrade the rest of the system to Testing, while the security is still in Bullseye? Can I do that?
Last edited by CWW on 2021-11-21 19:49, edited 1 time in total.

craigevil

Re: Debian testing has no security???

#2 Post by craigevil »

No, you either update to Testing or you stay with stable. Testing is always last to get updates.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

Bulkley

Re: Debian testing has no security???

#3 Post by Bulkley »

Testing is for testing. That's the whole point. It is not a finished OS. It is not an upgrade and it is not for users who want shiny new stuff.

Gen3x

Re: [SOLVED] Debian testing has no security???

#4 Post by Gen3x »

@craigevil I wonder how this can make sense, security should not differ between testing and stable.
I'm on the way to decide if I need to use testing or stable, but I can't stand with delayed security updates, most probably by a lot of time.

Bulkley

#5 Post by Bulkley »

Gen3x wrote: 2022-05-05 23:07 @craigevil I wonder how this can make sense, security should not differ between testing and stable.
Stable has been tested for two years. It is almost bullet proof. Testing is full of possibilities but has not been proven.
I'm on the way to decide if I need to use testing or stable, . . .
If you have to ask, use Stable.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by canci »

To whoever needs to read this:

Debian Testing or Unstable (aka Sid) are not Arch Linux! They are not rolling release distros, but rather testing beds for the future Debian Stable release.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

reinob

#7 Post by reinob »

That said, in tems of security, unstable is better than testing. But stable is better than unstable :)