Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

HDMI - No sound

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Debian6to11

HDMI - No sound

#1 Post by Debian6to11 »

Hello, fresh install of Debian 11, about a week old, and I have no sound output from HDMI.

Code: Select all

Audio:
  Device-1: NVIDIA GP106 High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel 
  Device-2: AMD Family 17h HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.10.0-9-amd64 
My monitor is new, about ten days old, and I am using it's original HDMI cable.
When I go in System settings --> Sound, and choose the HDMI audio controller, nothing happens, no output.
I do have sound from the line output of my motherboard coupled to two speakers, but I wish I could switch to the HDMI sound to remove unnecessary items and cables.

Maybe I should mention that I also had this problem in Windows 10, which was my previous OS on the second disk of my system.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: HDMI - No sound

#2 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

Try installing

firmware-misc-nonfree
from non-free repository.

https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList

It has some firmware for the card, I think:
nvidia/gp106/acr/bl.bin, nvidia/gp107/acr/bl.bin,

Debian6to11

#3 Post by Debian6to11 »

Thanks for the quick answer, the package is installed.
I think I installed it with the nvidia driver.

aris@hb8:~$ apt list firmware-misc-nonfree
Listing... Done
firmware-misc-nonfree/stable,now 20210315-3 all [installed]

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

A common issue seems to be device turned off due to power management settings and can't be turned back on due to BIOS bug. Don't know if this applies to Debian. What is output of:

grep 10de /lib/udev/rules.d/*
(10de = Nvidia)

Debian6to11

#5 Post by Debian6to11 »

aris@hb8:~$ grep nvidia /lib/udev/rules.d/*
/lib/udev/rules.d/60-nvidia-kernel-common.rules:# Set ACLs for console users on /dev/nvidia*
/lib/udev/rules.d/60-nvidia-kernel-common.rules:ENV{ACL_MANAGE}=="0", GOTO="nvidia_end"
/lib/udev/rules.d/60-nvidia-kernel-common.rules:DRIVER=="nvidia",ENV{NVIDIA_DEVICE}="1"
/lib/udev/rules.d/60-nvidia-kernel-common.rules:ENV{NVIDIA_DEVICE}!="1", GOTO="nvidia_end"
/lib/udev/rules.d/60-nvidia-kernel-common.rules:TEST!="/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0", GOTO="nvidia_end"
/lib/udev/rules.d/60-nvidia-kernel-common.rules:  RUN+="nvidia_helper --action=$env{ACTION} --device=$env{DEVNAME}"
/lib/udev/rules.d/60-nvidia-kernel-common.rules:LABEL="nvidia_end"
This is the output, which even with two years experience (at the time of debian 6), means nothing to me. I hope you can make something out.
You might be seeing me online as I leave my computer on 24/7 but I will be back tomorrow.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

The command needs to be literally

I just added by way of explanation that 10de is the vendor code for Nvidia.

If you see something like
/lib/udev/rules.d/71-nvidia.rules:ACTION==“add”, SUBSYSTEM==“pci”, ATTR{vendor}==“0x10de”, ATTR{class}==“0x0c8000”, TEST==“power/control”, ATTR{power/control}=“auto”
it means the kernel will power down the card when not in use, and it may not wake up again if there is an error in the BIOS.

This seems to explain why some Nvidia cards stop working, and stop producing sound, but whether or not this applies to Debian I don't know.

https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/n ... i/175889/3

Worth a quick check, but may not be the answer at all.

Debian6to11

#7 Post by Debian6to11 »

showed no output at all

aris@hb8:~$ grep 10de /lib/udev/rules.d/*
aris@hb8:~$ grep nvidia /lib/udev/rules.d/*
/lib/udev/rules.d/60-nvidia-kernel-common.rules:# Set ACLs for console users on /dev/nvidia*
/lib/udev/rules.d/60-nvidia-kernel-common.rules:ENV{ACL_MANAGE}=="0", GOTO="nvidia_end"
/lib/udev/rules.d/60-nvidia-kernel-common.rules:DRIVER=="nvidia",ENV{NVIDIA_DEVICE}="1"
/lib/udev/rules.d/60-nvidia-kernel-common.rules:ENV{NVIDIA_DEVICE}!="1", GOTO="nvidia_end"
/lib/udev/rules.d/60-nvidia-kernel-common.rules:TEST!="/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0", GOTO="nvidia_end"
/lib/udev/rules.d/60-nvidia-kernel-common.rules:  RUN+="nvidia_helper --action=$env{ACTION} --device=$env{DEVNAME}"
/lib/udev/rules.d/60-nvidia-kernel-common.rules:LABEL="nvidia_end"
So after the blank output I substituted the '10de' with 'nvidia' which gave output, I thought that it was the correct one.

I am on the standard kernel if it means something

aris@hb8:~$ uname -a
Linux hb8 5.10.0-9-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.70-1 (2021-09-30) x86_64 GNU/Linux

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

It's not power control rules that are killing it then.

Have you checked profiles in Pulse Audio Volume Control > Configuration or HDMI advanced options in Output Devices

Are there any settings related to HDMI in the BIOS?

Debian6to11

#9 Post by Debian6to11 »

I cannot find the Pulse Audio Volume Control anywhere.
I am using the cinnamon desktop maybe is different here? or maybe I am missing something?
The only sound control I find is "Sound" in System Settings.

I am not able to post an image here to show you. I will check the BIOS now even though I do not remember such a setting.

Debian6to11

#10 Post by Debian6to11 »

In the BIOS there are none HDMI settings. I can only see two output options in the graphic settings (DFP0 and DFP6), which after some search they seem to be associated with the monitors, which one to choose for BIOS screen maybe. (I am using two monitors, the older one uses a DVI connection)

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#11 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

Package pavucontrol.

It has more settings than Gnome/Cinnamon, although both are front ends for Pulse Audio.

Debian6to11

#12 Post by Debian6to11 »

Package installed, in the Configuration tab (HDMI controller) i am seeing more options, all unavailable but one.

However in the Output Devices tab there is a volume meter which is working, but I have no sound (this was the same in Windows as well, the meter was fluctuating but no sound).

It makes me wonder if my cable or speakers are the problem.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Post by sunrat »

Check if volumes are raised and unmuted in alsamixer. Press F6 to select sound card and select "HDA Nvidia".
You may need to install alsa-utils if you don't have alsamixer.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Debian6to11

#14 Post by Debian6to11 »

hello, using AlsaMixer v1.2.4, I have two/three options: default, HDA NVidia, and HD-Audio Generic.
I can adjust the default (Master volume), and most of the volumes of HD-Audio Generic (minus the S/PDIF and S/PDIF D).

In the HDA NVidia page I have 7 "volumes", S/PDIF to S/PDIF 6. They are all set to zero and I cannot adjust anyone.

MarktheShark

#15 Post by MarktheShark »

Old post, I know. I'm new to your forum, been on other forums for 20 years. Maybe this will help someone.

When LinuxMint dropped KDE, I switched to Debian KDE. I have an older HP HDX18 laptop with Intel Core 2 Duo T9600 CPU and Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT that I use to stream audio and video to a Vizio TV through HDMI in the basement. From there it goes through an amp out to the speakers. I had Debian Buster 10.2 KDE installed and it worked great. Seeing how I can't leave anything alone, always think I can make things "better", I installed Debian Bullseye 11.5 KDE. That's when I lost HDMI sound to the TV. The laptop speakers worked fine. Since I hadn't touched the HDMI cable or TV, I assumed they weren't the problem. I booted into Windows and confirmed that the HDMI sound still worked. I spent too much time reading about people having the same problem and not finding a solution. Found some advice about installing nvidia-detect. When I ran that, it came back with a message to the effect that my Nvidia GeForce 9600M is not supported in Bullseye, support ended with Buster. Not what I wanted to hear, so I gave up on Bullseye. There's probably a solution, but this is just a multimedia setup and I don't use it for anything else. I downloaded Debian KDE 10.13 after reading this: https://www.debian.org/News/2022/20220910 I followed the instructions for installing drivers from this page: https://phoenixnap.com/kb/nvidia-drivers-debian I used the first method on the page, installing drivers from Debian repository. Nvidia-detect said that my 9600M was only suppported up to a legacy-304 driver, so I installed that. Towards the end of the installation I got a warning that popped up that is not mentioned on the instruction page. It said something about the nouveau driver is interfering with the new driver and the best way to fix it is to reboot. Maybe all systems don't get the warning window, and the reboot step is further down the installation instructions. Just click OK and the installation finishes. Reboot. Now when I go to System Settings>Audio Volume>Advanced I have the option in "Profile" of Digital Stereo (HDMI) Output. Now the sound is playing through the TV and not the laptop speakers, which is all I need.

Shark