Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Which Browser do you use?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.

Which web browser do you use?

Firefox
70%
Chrome
6%
Brave
6%
Opera
1%
Microsoft Edge
1%
Vivaldi
5%
Chromium
4%
Konqueror
No votes
Nyxt/Lynx
No votes
Other
8%

Total votes: 167

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Which Browser do you use?

#41 Post by canci »

You can always score points with other people when they tell you their problem and you immediately reply with: "Doesn't concern me" or "They've never done anything wrong to me" -- no matter how relevant this is to the conversation. :lol:
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

Onsemeliot

#42 Post by Onsemeliot »

I mostly configure Firefox ESR to delete all cookies each time I close it and I add Privacy Badger, AdBlocker Ultimate and search using DuckDuckGo. In addition for more private stuff I use Tor and for the rare stuff that needs less restrictive settings I use Chromium without any modifications. On very weak old systems I go for Midori.

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#43 Post by steve_v »

oswaldkelso wrote: 2022-02-05 00:33 your comment had me wondering if every other reader has been poking their eyes out with you.
You've been here long enough to know what Bester is like. Dude kinda has the facepalm market cornered and all that. :lol:
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

bester69

#44 Post by bester69 »

brave browser is a wonderfull one for me, i dont even update it.. when some version works like a charm.. is better dont update it ever..

for me a good browser is one that gives me a wonderfull experience.. soft navegation, quickly response rendering, no lags, no crashes..great user interface, fast openning up, productive addons.. and all of that comes onboard with brave-browser,, even i can sync bookmarks among devices, so ive my bookmarks synchronized in movil.. I used to like opera but too much unstability and interface changes between versions..
firefox is a great browser but i never get used to it...futhermore many extension breaks very easily with each new browser upgrade.. I think chromium engine is more powefull and suitable for user environment

I would give 10 to brave and 6,5 to firefox
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#45 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

bester69 wrote: 2022-03-06 16:20 even i can sync bookmarks among devices
Uhm, Google and Mozilla have exactly the same functionality - it is used to track You, independently of which device You're using.
Anyway, I know that I won't change Your mind ... ;)

I'm using FF with TOR proxy by default (with defined exceptions, like for Debian Forums), and Chromium for sites that are blocking TOR, but in most cases I simply resign from visiting websites which are TOR-unfriendly.

NoScript: I'm avoiding to visit sites which are invoking external scripts. If some webpage won't work with javascript enabled for that particular page only, I'm closing the connection - there are many alternative sources of information.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

murdock2525

#46 Post by murdock2525 »

# I use brave beta
#2 a Librewolf setup NOT to wipe cookies-history on shutdown so I don't need to redo passwords on startup
I expect black helicops any minute but I have a tin roof. All is well

alexus23

#47 Post by alexus23 »

Over many years I have tried many, if not most, browsers. Lately I use Firefox-esr almost exclusively. Any others are simply experiments driven by curiosity.

cynwulf

#48 Post by cynwulf »

Web browsers such as Brave browser prey on the gullible - looking at Brave's tag line:

"Browse privately. Search privately. And ditch Big Tech."

It uses the "privacy" buzzword and the phrase "Big Tech" in order to market itself as an alternative to the likes of Chrome and Edge and the telemetry they are bundled with.

As Brave comes with telemetry and google services such as safebrowsing - and the underlying browser (chromium project) is certainly a "Big Tech" project, I'm not sure how using Brave amounts to ditching "Big Tech" nor being significantly more private than using e.g. Edge or Opera.

Many of the "free" commercial browsers on offer today are obviously "free as in you're the project" offerings. Quite a few more are just outright "snake oil" products, usually forks of Firefox or Chrome, with countless other problems.

The solutions, is not to trust your privacy and data to a company or individual with a shiny logo or catchy slogan, but to do the research and then take the necessary steps.

vicshrike

#49 Post by vicshrike »

cynwulf wrote: 2022-03-09 17:00The solutions, is not to trust your privacy and data to a company or individual with a shiny logo or catchy slogan, but to do the research and then take the necessary steps.
As simple as that. And yes, Firefox.

kedaha

#50 Post by kedaha »

I recently came across this article: choose-your-browser-carefully, which makes interesting reading. I concur with the author, who concludes that tweaking-firefox is the best solution but would, of course, recommend Debian's firefox-esr.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

Nili

#51 Post by Nili »

What browser?
Firefox 100 on Linux
✓ Your web browser is up to date :)
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#52 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

kedaha wrote: 2022-03-10 07:58 I recently came across this article: choose-your-browser-carefully, which makes interesting reading. I concur with the author, who concludes that tweaking-firefox is the best solution but would, of course, recommend Debian's firefox-esr.
Regarding the DoH servers, they are apparently disabled in the Debian version of Firefox ESR:

network.dns.disablePrefetchFromHTTPS = true
network.dns.upgrade_with_https_rr = false
network.dns.use_https_rr_as_altsvc = false
network.dns.use_https_rr_for_speculative_connection = false
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."

Bulkley

#53 Post by Bulkley »

After reading kedaha's post and links I installed the arkenfox /user.js . So far it looks good.

kedaha

#54 Post by kedaha »

Bulkley wrote: 2022-03-11 20:56 After reading kedaha's post and links I installed the arkenfox /user.js . So far it looks good.
Same here.
By the way, if the user.js-notify.sh script is used to know about updates via a desktop notification, you may get:

$ ./user.js-notify.sh
./user.js-notify.sh: line 222: notify-send: command not found
But it'll work after:

# apt install ruby-notify
DebianStable

$ vrms

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#55 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

Bulkley wrote: 2022-03-11 20:56 After reading kedaha's post and links I installed the arkenfox /user.js . So far it looks good.
This still applies:
viewtopic.php?p=623531#p623531

Firefox can be made safe, and unlike in case of various forks, it correctly handles the extensions.

I'm not defending the Mozilla corporation - they have changed their flag, but Firefox ESR is getting the security updates, and it can be tweaked to the point where it is stopped from spying the users (see the above link)

Regards

kedaha

#56 Post by kedaha »

For anyone interested, I've posted a few notes in howtos at: Harden Firefox with the Arkenfox user.js Template, to simplify setting up the template by means of a few commands rather than downloading and copying the files in a GUI file manager.
DebianStable

$ vrms

bester69

#57 Post by bester69 »

Nili wrote: 2022-03-10 17:08 What browser?
Firefox 100 on Linux
✓ Your web browser is up to date :)
I dont need to be up to date but works faster responsive rendering, feel smooth and be productive and stable...

My own politics are to update apps only when is needed.. I think a good browser version should be used for at least one or two years... I dont update my everyday browser ever.. it takes me much time to get a good version browser i feel confortable with.. only update it when i detect some obsolescence or dangerous threat coming up..indeed I keep a backup of specific versions of needed apps i worth and use, to install them if ive to resintall system...
In my android phone ive disabled automatic updates for same reason; if an specific app is working like i like it, i dont want any unxpected changes that disturb my tranquility :?
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#58 Post by sunrat »

bester69 wrote: 2022-03-17 14:29I think a good browser version should be used for at least one or two years... I dont update my everyday browser ever..
Good malware writers update their exploits every day. :roll:
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Shamak

#59 Post by Shamak »

I use Firefox Stable (the current release) installed from the Mozilla binaries (installed into my home folder) because of the privacy features and because it syncs with Firefox Mobil.

I'm afraid of Chrome being installed as a .deb as I read that it's tough to find and fix any screw ups in a Debian installation.

I don't use Chromium (except as a backup browser) because it doesn't have the ability to sync bookmarks and history.

I don't use Firefox-esr because it doesn't have several security features that Firefox Stable now has. I think that the security risk in Firefox-esr is greater than the risk that Firefox from the Mozilla binaries (not having been reviewed by Debian) will mess with my system somehow. Just to be very clear I'm referring to security features not security updates. For example Firefox Stable has site isolation now whereas Firefox-esr does not.
To better protect all Firefox users against side-channel attacks such as Spectre, we’re introducing Site Isolation. It will be rolled out to Firefox 94 users over the next few weeks. We’ve got your back...errr...side!
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/9 ... easenotes/

Trihexagonal
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#60 Post by Trihexagonal »

Firefox-ESR
When Darkness takes everything embrace what Darkness brings.