Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Which Browser do you use?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.

Which web browser do you use?

Firefox
70%
Chrome
6%
Brave
6%
Opera
1%
Microsoft Edge
1%
Vivaldi
5%
Chromium
4%
Konqueror
No votes
Nyxt/Lynx
No votes
Other
8%

Total votes: 167

tim

Re: Which Browser do you use?

#61 Post by tim »

I've really been enjoying Gnome's web/epiphany browser. it integrates very nicely with the gnome desktop and has some unique features: two-finger touchpad swiping to navigate backwards and forwards; it allows the installation of websites as desktop applications; it syncs passwords, bookmarks, and browsing history with firefox. I use it almost exclusively now, though occasionally I'll use firefox-esr.
Grieve not for happy Claudius, he is dead;
And empty is his skull.
Pity no longer, arm-in-arm with Dread,
Walks that polished hall.

Joy, too, is fled.
But no man can have all.

--Edna St. Vincent Millay

Edimion

#62 Post by Edimion »

+++On Debian we have no option it's Firefox+++ or not other web browser with than trully good features. With other Debian distros we could use Waterfox ,a variation of Firefox really more lightweight and also woth those great features of Firefox, but my PC's turns old..

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#63 Post by steve_v »

Edimion wrote: 2022-05-02 14:08+++On Debian we have no option it's Firefox+++
I really have no answer to that one, I'm too busy ROFL.
Edimion wrote: 2022-05-02 14:08With other Debian distros we could use Waterfox
What's stopping you doing something about that then? Or compiling it yourself? Or installing it as a *gag* snap?
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

cynwulf

#64 Post by cynwulf »

Waterfox was acquired by System1 (under the guide of "Privacy One"): https://www.ghacks.net/2020/02/14/water ... o-system1/

This is the same company who acquired Startpage. This company is in the advertising business - they don't buy browsers and search engines because they're some wonderful philanthropists.

There are other firefox forks you also won't find in the Debian repositories - and there's usually a reason for that...

user6c57b8

#65 Post by user6c57b8 »

I don't use Firefox because they use Rust in their source code.
There is something wrong with Rust.

Winston Payne

#66 Post by Winston Payne »

99% of the time I use Firefox. On my computers that run Debian, I use the ESR version.

On very rare occasions when I'm required to for work, I'll hop into Chrome.

Head_on_a_Stick

#67 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

edbrowse ftw!

EDIT: I also like mothra(1) but webfs(4) hasn't been ported to Linux. Yet :mrgreen:
deadbang

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#68 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

I'm thinking of writing my own WEB browser - it's not that hard - if Firefox (Mozilla) will continue to make anti-user decisions, then it could become my main target. Currently however, I'm focused mainly on Vulkan - it allows to implement HW-accellerated discrete version of multi-QBit registers -> Quantum computing at home ;)
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

Diesel330

#69 Post by Diesel330 »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote: 2022-07-05 21:02 if Firefox (Mozilla) will continue to make anti-user decisions
What anti-user decisions Mozilla make?

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#70 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

Diesel330 wrote: 2022-07-06 08:24 What anti-user decisions Mozilla make?
Hmm, let Me think ... like selling user data to Google for over $400M?
Or openly hostile actions like spying the users?

Mozilla is *NOT* a user-friendly corporation - they are making money from selling user data, while pretending to care about privacy (no, they don't care about Your privacy - not at all)

Anyway, the most unclear fact about Mozilla and Firefox is the common belief that the Firefox is "Open Source" - it's not. Most of Firefox features are closed source - hidden behind Mozilla services which are built-in Firefox components.

That being said, I must admit that Firefox is the least hostile commercial WEB browser - most of hostile services can be disabled, and the plugin interface allows to modify the browser behaviour to the point when it can be considered as *almost* safe.

My point is that by removing the commercial crap from Firefox could make it a really nice browser.

To be fair: *ALL* commercial browsers are stealing user data and are spying the users, Brave browser is probably at the top of the list - but I'm not going to consider this as an excuse for Mozilla.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."

Bulkley

#71 Post by Bulkley »

Firefox can be tamed with the arkenfox user.js template. See this thread. I have been using the arkenfox user.js ever since kedaha posted about it.

Pation

#72 Post by Pation »

I use Brave.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#73 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

Pation wrote: 2022-07-15 19:28I use Brave.
And I won't use Brave, even if they would offer billions of BATs just for trying it ;)

But seriously: I don't think that Brave browser will prevail, as this is only a low quality fork of chromium, targeted only at stealing user data and on selling useless NFT/crypto-currency gadgets.

Pation

#74 Post by Pation »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote: 2022-07-22 21:47
Pation wrote: 2022-07-15 19:28I use Brave.
And I won't use Brave, even if they would offer billions of BATs just for trying it ;)

But seriously: I don't think that Brave browser will prevail, as this is only a low quality fork of chromium, targeted only at stealing user data and on selling useless NFT/crypto-currency gadgets.
I don’t use Browsers a lot but I agree with you that Brave created their browser so their NFTs/crypto-currencies become more popular, no one would’ve know what a “BAT” is without the company making the Browser. It has succeeded and if I ask someone “What is a BAT?” they most commonly will reply “Brave’s crypto-currency.” The company that owns Brave technically is a crypto-currency selling company, I only use Brave because I’m new to Linux (been using Linux distributions only for 7 months) so I came from Windows so the browser I used to use you can’t get on Linux.

Hobbes

#75 Post by Hobbes »

Yandex browser and Vivaldi (mostly the first).

Trihexagonal
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#76 Post by Trihexagonal »

Firefox-ESR for the browser extensions I deem necessary for safely venturing online.
If I couldn't use NoScript to block JS I would go very few places online.

Now there is nowhere I won't go.
When Darkness takes everything embrace what Darkness brings.

user6c57b8

#77 Post by user6c57b8 »

Honestly the best web-browser to use is your own web-browser that you constructed from scratch.
0% Fortunately, that 0% can be done within $time_at_end_of_day [exclusive [ie. the end-point is exclusive]] [assuming you want HTML5 + HTML4 compatability + HTML5 videos to work on youtube + JavaScript AJAX to work on twitter].

So we go like....200,000 steps down.
To:
apt --simulate install chromium #OR:
apt --simulate install epiphany-browser #OR:
apt --simulate install firefox-esr #OR:
apt --simulate install konqueror

Syrio

#78 Post by Syrio »

I admit I'm not as concerned about what browser I use as I should be, so FF-ESR is my go-to for convenience, but I've tried Brave a while ago and its kinda cool. Using it since than... :wink:

L_V

#79 Post by L_V »

A bit surprised Falkon has not been mentioned yet by anyone (replacing konqueror as default KDE browser).

Falkon is light, with embedded Ad-block extension, style inspector.
Falkon is not new. Formerly known as Qupzilla. Used as default web engine in some distributions.

Code: Select all

Package: falkon
Version: 3.2.0+dfsg1-2
Section: web
Download-Size:   2,6 MB
Installed-Size: 12,8 MB
Depends: libqt5webenginecore5

flashydolphin8827

#80 Post by flashydolphin8827 »

I actually use Vivaldi,firefox, chrome, opera and duckduckgo because differb=ant sites dont render correctly in some browsers so I like to keep several other browsers at hand to copy and pasted urls into so I can get correct rendering of said website.