Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Which Browser do you use?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.

Which web browser do you use?

Firefox
70%
Chrome
6%
Brave
6%
Opera
1%
Microsoft Edge
1%
Vivaldi
5%
Chromium
4%
Konqueror
No votes
Nyxt/Lynx
No votes
Other
8%

Total votes: 167

c3po

Re: Which Browser do you use?

#81 Post by c3po »

Syrio wrote: 2022-08-12 14:33 I admit I'm not as concerned about what browser I use as I should be, so FF-ESR is my go-to for convenience, but I've tried Brave a while ago and its kinda cool. Using it since than... :wink:
How did you install Brave? I don't see it in the Debian suppository (haha). I found some complicated command line installation instructions but I'm afraid that might corrupt my system somehow.

el_koraco

#82 Post by el_koraco »

No browser other than Firefox renders fonts properly, so it is a no brainer. I prefer the ESR version because I steal people's userChrome, and this has a tendency to break much more with the regular release cycle (duh).

donald
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#83 Post by donald »

I've been on Vivaldi for the past mount and it has moved up a lot in my opinion, fast, good memory management, and it can sync across devices. Some of the built-in features like stacking tabs is pretty neat.
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

MiracleDinner

#84 Post by MiracleDinner »

Firefox-ESR is my main browser, as it's FOSS, privacy friendly, easy to use, no problems with it, ad and tracker blockers, extensions and customization, and it can do almost everything I need out of a web browser. I keep Chrome and Edge installed though for the rare instances that I need them for something specific (e.g. Microsoft Teams calls require Chrome or Edge to use the camera.)

I'd kind of be curious as to which browser is regarded as the best for battery life? As that's important to me but I'm not really sure from personal experience which is the best.

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#85 Post by steve_v »

MiracleDinner wrote: 2023-01-30 09:29which browser is regarded as the best for battery life?
That accolade almost certainly goes to lynx. It's awesome, it uses a paltry ~6MB of RAM on my box, and it's still under active development 30 years after it's initial release... but, errm, I suspect such a literal answer is maybe not quite what you're looking for? :P
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#86 Post by oswaldkelso »

^ it was close :mrgreen:

5.0 MiB + 634.5 KiB = 5.6 MiB elinks
5.7 MiB + 513.5 KiB = 6.2 MiB lynx
6.1 MiB + 1.1 MiB = 7.1 MiB links
1.8 MiB + 9.1 MiB = 10.9 MiB w3m

links was the fastest to boot but every one should see https://invidious.snopyta.org/search?q=gotbletu+w3m

I'm running iceape-uxp on my laptop

242.0 MiB + 6.1 MiB = 248.1 MiB iceape-uxp

:shock: Yes wasn't so long ago that firefox used 24MB.... there again measuring time is a tricky process

ps all loading bbc.co.uk

edit typo n comment:
no iceape-uxp unless you build it from source
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#87 Post by steve_v »

Yeah, that's a close race indeed. I had sort of forgotten about elinks TBH, I thought it was abandoned. Looks like there's an active fork in the wild now. :D

Lynx is still my preferred TUI browser though, mainly on account of old habits and muscle-memory. It's still one of, if not the first thing I install on any machine (alongside mc, and setting mc to "lynx-like motion").
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

BBQdave
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#88 Post by BBQdave »

Started using Google Chrome to organize and share family info - with each other. Use Google docs, sheets and other applications to share in homeschool group and public school.

Tried Project Fi and liked it's function. Continued as it transitioned from beta to Google Fi. So files can be shared and organized mobile device or with laptop.

Google Chrome is my work horse. But I am enjoying Firefox ESR (with duckduckgo) for research and reading :)
Typically have both browsers open.
On quest for blue smoke and red rings!
Debian 12 Toshiba Satellite C655 | i3 2.3Ghz | Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 8GB RAM | 65GB SSD

donald

#89 Post by donald »

donald wrote: 2023-01-30 05:27 I've been on Vivaldi for the past mount and it has moved up a lot in my opinion, fast, good memory management, and it can sync across devices. Some of the built-in features like stacking tabs is pretty neat.
Here is my non-important un-affiliated point of review:

This browser is amazing. Vivaldi syncs: Passwords, Tabs, Tasks, Notes, and offers Games. Some nifty things it includes is the ability to stack similar tabs, it also offers native Mail/Feed/RSS support, includes Translation features, Chained cli commands, has the Chrome Browser extensions as its extensions support network, native Privacy blocking, and has an amazing side (or top, or bottom) panel for power users, among many other great features.

The speed and memory is crazy fast and I love it. I have had no issues with it and with similar extensions to Firefox, it has been a seamless transition from my prior browsers during this several week test run.

The bad is that the mobile browser doesn't let one use the extensions on the mobile device which forces one to use another browser that can support the option. This browser also is not fully open source as there is some proprietary code used for their UI Read-Here. It has partnerships, which to be fair most of the other major browsers have shifted to as well so in their explanation of the proprietary code does make some sense, I'm not using it on mission critical items that require audits and for personal use other than SeaMonkey, I do not think that one can find a better browser.

Other than the mobile issues, it has become my default browser on multiple devices.

*also my typo of 'the past mount' vs. 'the past month' is outright glorious. :D
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#90 Post by Hallvor »

Donald: Vivaldi is great in real use, and I fully agree about the plethora of great features.

Having said that, their excuses for not opening up the source code do not seem completely genuine to me:
But as I hinted earlier, Vivaldi is more than just its code. We have the brand and associated trademarks we have to enforce, which means any fork needs to be branded as a different product. This is the reason Chrome and Chromium are different things.

The new product then becomes an immediate competitor without putting any significant technical work to reach that status (it would still need to be marketed though).
Translation: We are happy to ride the back of open source, and our brand is more important than your right to review the code.
​​If a new project based on our code implements features that are fundamentally against our ethics (damaging to human rights or to the environment in some way, for instance), even though we would not in any way be associated with the author of those features, it can deeply affect morale on our side.
This sounds like an utterly unfounded and bad excuse.
Open-source processes require people reviewing submitted patches and communicating with committers. All this takes time, and given our constraints, we aren’t sure how the benefits would outweigh the investment of time.
Translation: Open source committers waste our precious time.

I won't use Vivaldi for political reasons. I seriously believe that they would gain from making it open source, and I seriously believe that it would strengthen their brand instead of weakening it. Increased transparency would build trust between developers and users, and it would be a serious competitor not only to Firefox, but also Google Chrome. More developers could review the code, find bugs and submit code.

They are pretty arrogant if they believe that the open source community has nothing to offer.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#91 Post by canci »

The brand excuse makes no sense. You could for instance take the Firefox source code back in the day when it had the naming trademark issue and you could just build it with a generic name. That's how we had Iceweasel in Debian.

And the code review thing: small free software projects also don't review or even accept all contributions. But then you can just fork the thing if you don't feel included.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

donald

#92 Post by donald »

Open-core model like F/OSS contributions are still a bit controversial for sure. Would be interesting to get everyone's thoughts on it, though in the end its salvation or rejection will be in response to what the market will tolerate.

I did browser tests today on a laptop between different vendors, times were a bit surprising. I'll publish them over the weekend in this thread.
Typo perfectionish.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#93 Post by canci »

I understand that open sourcing code isn't for everyone, but I don't think that's my issue. I'd just be happy if Vivaldi were more honest about their reasons, because those listed above sound like BS. I have more respect for a person saying: "I don't want to open source this, because I don't like open source/my ideology doesn't accept that/etc.", rather than this corporate sugar-covered stuff. They know that these days, it's weird to publish something for Linux and not make it open source, unless it's some super complicated CAD software that costs a ton of money, so they skirt around the issue.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

donald

#94 Post by donald »

canci wrote: 2023-03-10 06:47 I understand that open sourcing code isn't for everyone, but I don't think that's my issue. I'd just be happy if Vivaldi were more honest about their reasons, because those listed above sound like BS. I have more respect for a person saying: "I don't want to open source this, because I don't like open source/my ideology doesn't accept that/etc.", rather than this corporate sugar-covered stuff. They know that these days, it's weird to publish something for Linux and not make it open source, unless it's some super complicated CAD software that costs a ton of money, so they skirt around the issue.

We should start a thread on this.:)

I think it is one of those contradictory things, their product/ their rules vs the true spirit of F/OSS, but doesn't F/OSs do the same?

I read it a bit differently than you and at the same time do not undervalue what you are saying which is a viewpoint of the many I hold on the same topic. These companies that are not distributed have to keep the lights on and some outside funding and valid monetization to their code may be the avenue they employ and I cannot knock them for that.
Typo perfectionish.

denkin

#95 Post by denkin »

Lately it's Firefox. About 2 years.
Before that, there was Opera and Vivaldi for a long time

vernius

#96 Post by vernius »

Hi, I use Firefox whenever I can. When it doesn't work for me in some administrative tasks with the public administration, I use chromium.

Excuse my translator English

craigevil

#97 Post by craigevil »

Firefox, Brave, Vivaldi, Chromium, Tor Browser. Pretty much in that order.

bester69

#98 Post by bester69 »

Brave for regular browsing, Opera for management Bookmarks (V7 addon), and Firefox for securing browsing (virtual bank or so)..
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

pizza-rat

#99 Post by pizza-rat »

I used to use a bunch of different browsers for different tasks, but since finding out about firefox profiles, it's all I need now (with arkenfox user.js on some profiles, and ublock origin on all of them). If I'm banking, I like to use a livecd and a clean firefox off that.

I'd like to use different more niche browsers like the qt based ones, but they don't really have an equivalent to ublock origin which is a huge dealbreaker for me. I think Seamonkey supports it to an extent, which is nice.

Bulkley

#100 Post by Bulkley »

pizza-rat wrote: 2023-05-17 22:48 I used to use a bunch of different browsers for different tasks, but since finding out about firefox profiles, it's all I need now (with arkenfox user.js on some profiles, and ublock origin on all of them). If I'm banking, I like to use a livecd and a clean firefox off that.
The arkenfox user.js works well. Agreed with ublock origin. I also have the "I don't care about cookies" extension which blocks those annoying cookie popups like the one on Debian User Forums.