Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Hertzbleed vulnerability

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Head_on_a_Stick

Hertzbleed vulnerability

#1 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

New side channel attack exploiting dynamic frequency changes in the CPU:

https://www.hertzbleed.com/

Affects both Intel & AMD. Intel embargoed the CVE for several months but won't be releasing µcode to fix it. Twats.

It can be mitigated by disabling frequency boost for the CPU. And then asking for a refund from the manufacturer to account for the reduced performance, presumably. Bollocks.
deadbang

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Hertzbleed vulnerability

#2 Post by Hallvor »

Intel says that it doesn't think this attack is practical outside of a lab environment, partially because it takes "hours to days" to steal a cryptographic key. Additionally, an exploit based on this attack would require sophisticated high-resolution power monitoring capabilities.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel ... rypto-keys
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Hallvor wrote: 2022-06-14 18:10
Additionally, an exploit based on this attack would require sophisticated high-resolution power monitoring capabilities.
Not according to the authors of the paper:
Hertzbleed shows that on modern x86 CPUs, power side-channel attacks can be turned into (even remote!) timing attacks—lifting the need for any power measurement interface.
deadbang

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by CwF »

Wake me up when it escapes the zoo.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#5 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

CwF wrote: 2022-06-14 18:55 Wake me up when it escapes the zoo.
I agree - it's a complete bullshit.

The method is practically the same as this one:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=109982

The only difference is that instead of listening to power inverter chokes, the software is collecting stats of CPU clocking changes.

Expect new, expensive "security products" which will advertise protection against this *new* "vulnerability"

Business is business - a hunt for idiots with thick wallets.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

cynwulf

#6 Post by cynwulf »

It's no real coincidence that you saw this raft of vulnerabilities in Intel and AMD chips, only 4 years ago and then with the release of Windows 11 MS announced that earlier chips with those vulnerabilities would not be supported (and then announced that they would be supported unofficially... but that first statement is what counted, as it was meant to in fact).

MS, the OEMs and Intel and AMD are really part of the same big cabal that controls the laptop/desktop/server x86 market. In that unique position, overseeing a monopoly of zero choice (that is except the choice not to buy/use any of it) they can conspire to do pretty much anything. If Intel reveals flaws in it's own products, in order to sell... more of it's own products, the rest of the cabal will back it up regardless. If it means that the OEMs will sell more servers, desktops and laptops - they will back it. If it means MS can force users onto a new OS, riddled with surveillance and telemetry tools - it sounds like a plan.