Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

KDE network-manager: Wired Interface "No secrets were provided"

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
marcotettamanti

KDE network-manager: Wired Interface "No secrets were provided"

#1 Post by marcotettamanti »

Dear all,
I am experiencing a network connection problem after a dist-upgrade of my testing install (Linux bll4 5.18.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Debian 5.18.16-1 (2022-08-10) x86_64 GNU/Linux with KDE desktop).
After the upgrade, I could no longer connect to Ethernet or WiFi networks within my organization (both using an 802.1x Security protocol), and received the fail message "No secrets were provided".
I therefore tried downgrading the following packages:
wpasupplicant: from 2.10-9+b1 to 2.9.0
libnm0: from 1.40.0-1 to 1.34.0-2
network-manager: from 1.40.0-1 to 1.34.0-2

For some reasons, which according to my IT service managers are hard to explain, the downgrade restored WiFi connectivity, but not the Ethernet one: this seems a KDE-specific issue.
With Ethernet, I keep getting the "No secrets were provided" fail message.
I am currently stuck and found no solutions to restore the Ethernet connectivity.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Best,
Marco

marcotettamanti

Re: KDE network-manager: Wired Interface "No secrets were provided"

#2 Post by marcotettamanti »

Dear all,
for anyone interested, I was able to get around the problem by installing "network-manager-gnome", and from there, removing and re-specifying my Ethernet connection.
I then removed "network-manager-gnome", rebooted, and everything worked fine.
At the same time, I was also able to upgrade libnm0 and network-manager to the current Debian testing versions. The upgrade of wpasupplicant instead destroyed the connectivity again.
Best,
Marco
Last edited by marcotettamanti on 2022-11-11 20:51, edited 1 time in total.

rtoledo2002

#3 Post by rtoledo2002 »

Hi Marco , I am having a similar problem. I did a upgrade to testing Bookworm around the same time you did.

I only use KDE , but do have Gnome installed too, after the upgrade my internet stopped working, after searching in the KDE for Ethernet , launched the window settings for it, I noticed that the window for the ethernet card was blank. I clicked on the window down arrow, and there was was my ensp3 ? was there so I selected it and regain connectivity.

my problem is when I launch Dolphin, I can NOT see my home network or the computers (windows) and my Synology NAS. I can ping my NAS 192.168.1.246 , but when I try to use a browser they give that " usual " certificate error Synology is so famous for.

In Windows Brave and Firefox have in the settings whitelist and I can log in, but in Debian the browser flash so fast I can't click on the go ahead button to browse, I added the same entries in the Debian browsers but no luck.

I wonder if I do what you did if it might fix my problem. I love my setup and do not wish to re-install Debian , I do have timeshift backups to a separate drive , but want to keep trying things to fix it.

thanks for posting your issues, they may help me

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

Installing Gnome Network Manager is a sub-optimal solution to a problem in KDE. :shock:

Does this help?

The error message is the same, and I seem to remember a solution was found, although I don't have time to reread that thread and see if it applies here.

viewtopic.php?t=148814

rtoledo2002

#5 Post by rtoledo2002 »

You think ? LMAOI ALL worked except viewing network shares

After 3 years I gave up , my stuff is in a rsync folder on other drive.

so I re-partitioned the Debian drive this time I split it into 2 500gig partitions and this time put /home in it's own partition , reinstalled 11.5 with the non free files , it installed and it's Wunderbar . started with a Timeshift of ALL the files, so when I screw up I can hopefully back up to a former state

SOLVED PROBLEM ; I installed the 11-21-2022 testing with non-free firmwares and I am loving it , all my important apps installed without any issues and this system runs as good as stable . ZERO issues

nordvpn installed flawlessly , something I always struggle with , also the Yubico authenticator for my FIPS142 key works brilliantly

thank you all for your support

Best regards
Roman Toledo Casabona :