Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

ACPI Error found with dmesg command

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
arctotherium

ACPI Error found with dmesg command

#1 Post by arctotherium »

I just installed Debian to my computer's disc on Tuesday(Thank god I don't have to use Windows 11 anymore). I already had experience with Ubuntu and Mint and because Ubuntu is Debian based I thought the install would be no problem. Long story short I installed the Debian image with only free software not knowing that my computer's network connection needed Realtek firmware. I solved that problem and installed all of the firmware after I installed the Debian system (didn't have another USB stick or another computer so I USB tethered my phone in order to get a wifi connection). I have been using the dmesg command to see what firmware I need to install and after I finished I noticed an ACPI error in red.
Here's the error as shown by dmesg:

[ 6.109251] ACPI Error: No handler for Region [RCM0] (00000000d4742367) [SystemCMOS] (20200925/evregion-129)
[ 6.109275] ACPI Error: Region SystemCMOS (ID=5) has no handler (20200925/exfldio-261)
[ 6.109290] ACPI Error: Aborting method \_SB.WMID.ESDT due to previous error (AE_NOT_EXIST) (20200925/psparse-529)
[ 6.109315] ACPI Error: Aborting method \_SB.PCI0.LPCB.EC0._Q42 due to previous error (AE_NOT_EXIST) (20200925/psparse-529)

Is this an issue or am I good? There isn't anything noticeably wrong with my system but I don't want anything to break in the future.

stevepusser

Re: ACPI Error found with dmesg command

#2 Post by stevepusser »

It's a pretty common problem due to BIOS and UEFI programmers that do the bare minimum to get it working with Windows, so they don't stick strictly to the specifications. I have those some warnings on my new AMD Dell laptop. They seem to be harmless, though you can try a newer kernel from backports to see if the kernel devs have accommodated your quirky machine, or try updating its "BIOS" if they really bother you.

Liquorix kernels seem to hide those messages from appearing on the screen, though I'm pretty sure they are still in dmesg.
MX Linux packager and developer

arctotherium

Re: ACPI Error found with dmesg command

#3 Post by arctotherium »

Alright, thank you. I'm glad it's nothing to worry about.