Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Visit your profile to choose a flag.

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
kedaha

Visit your profile to choose a flag.

#1 Post by kedaha »

Hi,
After login I get an "Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag" pop-up.
The chosen flag is for my nationality, my location or may I choose any flag I like?
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

donald
Debian Developer, Site Admin

Re: Visit your profile to choose a flag.

#2 Post by donald »

Hi kedaha,

You can choose anything that you would like, filling the flag information in is not mandatory at all, just a nice icon to show the diversity around here. :)
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

kedaha

#3 Post by kedaha »

Hi there,
Great. My nationality is UK but I've lived most of my life in Spain; however, I'll choose the Welsh flag because, besides the language, I like the dragon,
DebianStable

$ vrms

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#4 Post by steve_v »

This "feature" is thoroughly annoying.
I have no interest in your "diversity" drivel, nor any intention of choosing a flag (til: selection includes Klingon Empire). I really shouldn't need to leverage my adblocker to remove the big red "Important" nag at the top of every page either.
"It's not mandatory (but we're going to hassle you constantly about it)" is the kind of attitude I expect from Microsoft, not goram FDN.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by canci »

I quite love diversity, but I agree that nag screens are a bit annoying.

In the profiles, I see it more as a location thing in case people want to meet up or ask about more local stuff (where to buy things, where to find a LUG), but generally, my biography is too complex to be expressed by 1 flag.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#6 Post by steve_v »

canci wrote: 2023-01-22 21:31nag screens are a bit annoying.
Right-o then Mr. Moderator, who, pray tell, do I need to punch to have it removed, or get "I don't want no stinkin' flag" and/or "upload image" added to the list?
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

donald

#7 Post by donald »

steve_v wrote: 2023-01-22 21:05 This "feature" is thoroughly annoying.
I have no interest in your "diversity" drivel, nor any intention of choosing a flag (til: selection includes Klingon Empire). I really shouldn't need to leverage my adblocker to remove the big red "Important" nag at the top of every page either.
"It's not mandatory (but we're going to hassle you constantly about it)" is the kind of attitude I expect from Microsoft, not goram FDN.
Didn't realize that that message lingered for people who did not choose a flag, I disabled the ask part of flag extension. You just had to mention it or ask about it.
canci wrote: 2023-01-22 21:31 I quite love diversity, but I agree that nag screens are a bit annoying.

In the profiles, I see it more as a location thing in case people want to meet up or ask about more local stuff (where to buy things, where to find a LUG), but generally, my biography is too complex to be expressed by 1 flag.
Pretty much.
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#8 Post by steve_v »

Better.
Although, if you really cared about "diversity" you would respect my preferred identification as a qovIj and include the flag of the glorious Klingon Empire, just saying.

donald

#9 Post by donald »

steve_v wrote: 2023-01-22 23:38 Better.
Although, if you really cared about "diversity" you would respect my preferred identification as a qovIj and include the flag of the glorious Klingon Empire, just saying.
Flags are 32x32, .png format. Post it here or PM it to me.
Typo perfectionish.

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#10 Post by steve_v »

Klingon_Empire_Flag_32.png
Klingon_Empire_Flag_32.png (1.22 KiB) Viewed 14936 times
PItlh.

donald

#11 Post by donald »

steve_v wrote: 2023-01-23 00:06 Klingon_Empire_Flag_32.png
PItlh.
Done.

Enjoy. :)
Typo perfectionish.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#12 Post by canci »

Wow
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

kedaha

#13 Post by kedaha »

I checked and see that the flag of the glorious Klingon Empire doesn't appear along with all the other users' flags at the foot of the page. Neither does the glorious Wales dragon flag for that matter.
How about adding an inglorious Jolly Roger flag?
DebianStable

$ vrms

donald

#14 Post by donald »

kedaha wrote: 2023-01-23 10:24 I checked and see that the flag of the glorious Klingon Empire doesn't appear along with all the other users' flags at the foot of the page. Neither does the glorious Wales dragon flag for that matter.
The main page is limited to 32 flags I believe, after a certain point it may only show the most populated flags.
kedaha wrote: 2023-01-23 10:24 How about adding an inglorious Jolly Roger flag?
Add whatever flags you all wish to add as long as they cannot be considered offensive. The point of the flags is let users know that they aren't alone in their region of the world or their interests, even if that is a love of pirates or fictional interstellar space base peoples/lifeforms. The point is to make connections.
Typo perfectionish.

fabien
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

#15 Post by fabien »

Too bad I didn't find the flag of Annares :)

I've something more serious to say about flags. As a non native speaker, it's interesting for me to know if what I'm reading is written by a native speaker (although native speakers also make mistakes, and some of the non native speakers here are at a level I envy). This is also the reason why my profile shows my country, not for other reasons, and I take it for granted.
Attachments
TheDispossed.jpg
TheDispossed.jpg (50.92 KiB) Viewed 14832 times

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#16 Post by canci »

Not sure a flag shows someone being native per se. Could just mean, as in my case, that that's their current location.

READ THIS:

fabien
Forum Helper
Forum Helper

#17 Post by fabien »

You're right, but if I lived in, say, London, New York, or Canberra, my language skills would (hopefully) be better. Fair dinkum, not sure about Canberra :)

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#18 Post by oswaldkelso »

I quite like the idea that there are other flags. I’m Welsh by birth but have lived over half my life in Scotland. Choosing one Nations flag over another is quite wrenching.

That said I always put Pasafarian on the census when ever it comes around

Direct link: correct size I think
https://i.postimg.cc/ydGzB7VL/fsm-flag.png
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

donald

#19 Post by donald »

oswaldkelso wrote: 2023-01-23 15:54 I quite like the idea that there are other flags. I’m Welsh by birth but have lived over half my life in Scotland. Choosing one Nations flag over another is quite wrenching.

That said I always put Pasafarian on the census when ever it comes around

Direct link: correct size I think
https://i.postimg.cc/ydGzB7VL/fsm-flag.png
Done. :)
Typo perfectionish.

Random_Troll

#20 Post by Random_Troll »

Apologies for the egregious necrobump but I would like to request the addition of an Anarchist flag for those who find the whole concept of nationhood to be harmful.

SVG:

<svg width="32px" height="32px" viewBox="0 0 32 32">
   <g fill="#000000">
      <path d="M 0,5 32,5 32,27 0,27 Z"/>
   </g>
</svg>
Save that as flag.svg then use this to create the PNG:

inkscape -o flag.png flag.svg
Or with ImageMagick:

convert -background none flag.svg flag.png
Thanks in advance to @donald.
Jeder nach seinen Fähigkeiten, jedem nach seinen Bedürfnissen.