Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Feature] Advanced BBcode

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
donald
Debian Developer, Site Admin

[Feature] Advanced BBcode

#1 Post by donald »

We have installed a new forum extension which adds a lot of BBCode functionality to the board:

I'm not 100% on the video option, we may have to cull the list of available sites if the feature gets abused.

The drop in links for Soundcloud and video may also cause some trepidation for users who don't wish autoloading items or trackers that those services can potentially introduce.

Please leave feedback in this thread with your thoughts or opinion.
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

donald

Re: [Feature] Advanced BBcode

#2 Post by donald »

Preview:

The
Nerds
Rule
The
World
Geeks
Rule
The
Nerds

The Nerds rule the world, the Geeks rule the nerds.

Code: Select all

• The Nerds rule the world, the Geeks rule the nerds.
  1. The Nerds rule the world, the Geeks rule the nerds.
    • The Nerds rule the world, the Geeks rule the nerds.
  2. The Nerds rule the world, the Geeks rule the nerds.

[flash =]lol no[/flash]

Size

The Nerds rule the world, the Geeks rule the nerds
[glow=red]The Nerds rule the world, the Geeks rule the nerds[/glow]

[shadow=blue]The Nerds rule the world, the Geeks rule the nerds[/shadow]

[dropshadow=blue]The Nerds rule the world, the Geeks rule the nerds[/dropshadow]

[blur=blue]The Nerds rule the world, the Geeks rule the nerds[/blur]

[marq=left]The Nerds rule the world, the Geeks rule the nerds[/marq]
The Nerds rule the world, the Geeks rule the nerds The Nerds rule the world, the Geeks rule the nerds (hidden from guests)
Off Topic
The Nerds rule the world, the Geeks rule the nerds _____ _ _ _ _ ______ | __ \ | | (_) | | | | | ____| | | | | ___| |__ _ __ _ _ __ | | | |___ ___ _ __ | |__ ___ _ __ _ _ _ __ ___ ___ | | | |/ _ \ '_ \| |/ _` | '_ \ | | | / __|/ _ \ '__| | __/ _ \| '__| | | | '_ ` _ \/ __| | |__| | __/ |_) | | (_| | | | | | |__| \__ \ __/ | | | | (_) | | | |_| | | | | | \__ \ |_____/ \___|_.__/|_|\__,_|_| |_| \____/|___/\___|_| |_| \___/|_| \__,_|_| |_| |_|___/ [soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/jimihendrix/all- ... tchtower-1[/soundcloud]

[bbvideo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQQCcvFUzrg[/bbvideo]

Header 1Header 2
Cell 1Cell 2
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by sunrat »

Removed these BBcodes - glow, blur, shadow, marquee, soundcloud, and video, hide, alert, and nfo.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

We propose to remove the Advanced BBCode font selection box. The only choice it offers is MS fonts which I am fairly certain would not be the choice of most Linux users, and many would not even have them installed.
Please comment if you have an opinion on this.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by sunrat »

test post removed by sunrat
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

"mention" appears to have stopped working as per here
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by sunrat »

dilberts_left_nut wrote: 2022-11-08 23:35 "mention" appears to have stopped working as per here
@dilberts_left_nut I noticed that but it only seems to affect some subforums or posts. Haven't worked out exactly what yet.
That topic you quoted is locked so may be relevant. Or not. :?:
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

donald

#8 Post by donald »

I read up on this today and it seems there are 2 competing factors between 2 of the extensions we use. As I understand it one of the extensions parses posts based on user permissions and the other on admin permissions, the former cannot parse old posts, for example old [men-tion posts], though it can for newer posts.

Not ideal but the system is working, for another perspective new @'s would be for current posts and not historical in any case so it does not really affect anyone for past posts, it does look a bit tacky though.

There is an option in phpbb to force a reparsing of all posts, later this evening when fewer users are on I can do it via maintenance mode.

Thank you for pointing it out.
Typo perfectionish.

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#9 Post by 4D696B65 »

A little off topic. Privacy Badger finds 5 trackers in this thread. just saying..

donald

#10 Post by donald »

4D696B65 wrote: 2022-11-09 02:59 A little off topic. Privacy Badger finds 5 trackers in this thread. just saying..
The video features got re-enabled, @sunrat is/was working on it. I liked the idea of it at first but it does introduce other elements we are not used to, I think he may disable it again.
Typo perfectionish.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

I'd lean towards linking to external vids rather than embedding.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Post by sunrat »

The trackers are standard Youtube stuff.
Note that the original post from donald used the video code from the Advanced BBCode box. I disabled that some days ago and it is still absent.
The test post I made last night (AEDT) uses the media tag from the native BBCode box. I have no idea how to disable that or if it's possible, and am not particularly fussed either way. I regularly watch Youtube and have PrivacyBadger.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#13 Post by canci »

The Youtube example at least violates EU law. I haven't been asked whether the site should automatically load tracking sites like that. The way to properly implement this is to have a text that informs me about this and a button that lets me give my consent. I also wish I was warned about this before loading this site.

As a personal side note, I find it ever tiring that I have to spell this out every time to Linux users no less. 10 years ago, I don't remember being in the community and having to think about every single time whether a link a community member posted goes to intrusive ad and tracking infested services like Google, Reddit, Twitter or Discord. Or at least it wasn't shoved down my throat by preloading it. Now it's the norm with open source. Just sad.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

donald

#14 Post by donald »

canci wrote: 2022-11-09 07:37 The Youtube example at least violates EU law. I haven't been asked whether the site should automatically load tracking sites like that. The way to properly implement this is to have a text that informs me about this and a button that lets me give my consent. I also wish I was warned about this before loading this site.

As a personal side note, I find it ever tiring that I have to spell this out every time to Linux users no less. 10 years ago, I don't remember being in the community and having to think about every single time whether a link a community member posted goes to intrusive ad and tracking infested services like Google, Reddit, Twitter or Discord. Or at least it wasn't shoved down my throat by preloading it. Now it's the norm with open source. Just sad.
@canci I didn't forget you or your concerns, when we had the access error a few weeks ago that was from me attempting to force google fonts off the system, I'm now doing it on a test server instead. It is a bit more involved than I thought and it looks like most designers use the goggle hosted fonts for most work. Ideally I'd like us to host our own/have the user use their own fonts. Just a bit more patience please.

We could modify and start to use the "This site uses cookies page ..." To tell users that in addition to our cookies other users posted media links may introduce other tracking, which I think would at least put it into the open. Your thoughts?

I do agree the tracking things are getting out of control, especially in a community that values options if not choice.
Typo perfectionish.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Post by sunrat »

@canci the video and media tags have both been removed from the BBCode reply boxes. I think it's the most we can do for now short of rewriting the forum software.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#16 Post by canci »

Thank you so much for your work. I know this is more like fighting windmills and I really appreciate it.
To be honest, I don't think most people here will miss video previews. The extra second it takes to click the link is worth being able to decide whether you really want to go to a certain website that is know to have tracking baked in as a business model.

>I think it's the most we can do for now short of rewriting the forum software.

And it's not an option to just disable the plug-ins until you can assure that they respect users' data autonomy?

I'm not technically nor legally versed to give you advice. At least for the GDPR set of laws, there already are discussions on phpBB boards. Maybe this will help you?
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2463566

Ironically, you load the phpbb site where people are discussing the EU legal ramifications of data consent and at the same time, phpbb.com itself is loading Google without a banner asking me whether I even want it. :lol: It's my first visit on the site, BTW. Sure, if the site isn't hosted in the EU, I'm not even sure if it's obliged to follow the laws, but it's kinda funny and sad.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

donald

#17 Post by donald »

We were able to fix the mention issue by reparsing the system, everything is working now and if you ask me the forums seem a bit faster. :)
Typo perfectionish.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#18 Post by sunrat »

Yes I noticed the forums seemed slow. I usually check all unread posts and there has been a significant delay, maybe 5 seconds or more, when opening each post. Slowest of any forum I visit. Will note if any improvement but still seemed random when checking posts just now, some were quick and some not so much.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

donald

#19 Post by donald »

@sunrat I notice the slowdown mainly on searches. We are getting heavily crawled by searchers so perhaps it is related? After we close out the second issue in this thread we can take a peek at it, everything looks normal memory and load wise. I'm on a tablet at the moment and will double check later.
Typo perfectionish.

donald

#20 Post by donald »

Updated - test post for content cookies.
Typo perfectionish.