Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Issue with Subfolder group permission

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Watever44

Issue with Subfolder group permission

#1 Post by Watever44 »

I am not sure if this goes in beginner section or not, but I figure I am missing something in the basic of the file permission under debian/linux.

The files and folder I create doesn't cascade the permissions.
I have my server (Debian 11 with Cockpit as web interface) running some docker containers.
I have data on raid that are permanent on some of my raid drives and accessible on shared samba or nfs and some are binded to my containers.

When a user (or docker user) create a folder or file, he has access to it but no one else can access it.
I wanted to give access to specific groups or users in the parent directory but this only affect the parrent folder. It doesn't work for the child folder, unless I do a chmod -r 777 or 770.
But when a user create a new file or folder, it's created with permissions at 700. So I need to do a chmod -r 770 again.

I suppose I am missing something basic at the user/group policy for folder but I have not been able to figure it out. My search get me to real basic tutorial on chmod or really advanced ones. I think I lack something in the middle.

Thank you